• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 680H Cranks but thats it...

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Vintage Restos & occasional Tractors
Overtorqued i dont know the first thing about this one as i have a old 580ck but i have been following your post and im glad to hear you have figured it out.These guys on here are awesome i have got tons of help from them on my old ck i was tickled to see you didnt give up and now you that you got her grab a beer and enjoy!!!! congrats!!!
Tickled describes it! Only thing is it's still in the hole and we are looking at 7 days of rain starting Thursday here. And the plot thickens! You guys are going to get some interesting pics on this one starting today. Wish us luck cause we still have no brakes!

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Nice to see you figured out that it was the shut-off. You should remove the injector pump , drain the oil out of it and send it to the pumpguysc. Sounds like it is over-due for a professional rebuild.
For sure, pumpguys was the first one that came to mind! If we can get it out of this hole today I'm gonna have to get ahold of that guy!

Shimmy1

For sure, pumpguys was the first one that came to mind! If we can get it out of this hole today I'm gonna have to get ahold of that guy!
Getting the brakes to work shouldn't be that hard. They are exactly the same as air brakes on a truck. You need to set them up. 9/16" wrench, set them up tight, back off ¼ turn. Only problem is you need the park brake released to do it. Hopefully the brake chamber pancakes are not blown out. Easy enough to check. If the brakes release with the button, and you don't hear air blasting out underneath, the emergency side is good. Then, if you can press on the pedals and not hear air leaking all over, the service side should be ok. Be aware that if you hear air leaking underneath during either or these tests, the chambers could still be ok and the quick release valves could be faulty. Good luck.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Getting the brakes to work shouldn't be that hard. They are exactly the same as air brakes on a truck. You need to set them up. 9/16" wrench, set them up tight, back off ¼ turn. Only problem is you need the park brake released to do it. Hopefully the brake chamber pancakes are not blown out. Easy enough to check. If the brakes release with the button, and you don't hear air blasting out underneath, the emergency side is good. Then, if you can press on the pedals and not hear air leaking all over, the service side should be ok. Be aware that if you hear air leaking underneath during either or these tests, the chambers could still be ok and the quick release valves could be faulty. Good luck.
Hopefully will be able to get down there after the tires get filled back up... It's sitting down in the mud pretty good. Thank you for the details. This helps tremendously.

Tinkerer

If the brake system will not build up air pressure and you don't have any brakes someone most likely has installed cage bolts in both brake chambers. Your brake chamber may not look like the one in the picture but bolt (#5) is the industry standard. To remove it back the nut all the way off and just turn the bolt a 1/2 turn to get it out.

Attachments

• cage bolt.jpg
    cage bolt.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 80

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
If the brake system will not build up air pressure and you don't have any brakes someone most likely has installed cage bolts in both brake chambers. Your brake chamber may not look like the one in the picture but bolt (#5) is the industry standard. To remove it back the nut all the way off and just turn the bolt a 1/2 turn to get it out.
What are the cage bolts for? Yesterday noticed fan had about 5" of play in it so apparently needs water pump as well. 400.00 (bend over). These parts are crazy prices!

Last edited:

Shimmy1

Cage bolts keep the spring compressed (which in turn keeps the brakes released) so you don't need air to hold it. Their main function is to provide safety when changing a service brake pancake, but they tend to get used for "other applications", mainly when the brakes are shot and the operator doesn't want to fix them. I couldn't imagine someone putting them into the only brakes on a machine, but I suppose it's possible. Overtorqued, are you a little familiar with truck air brakes?

On to the fan. What do you mean by 5" of play? I wouldn't believe it possible to have 5" either in and out, or up and down. Sounds like the belts need tightening to me. The alternator functions as the tensioner on those. I believe the air compressor has its own belt.

Last edited:

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Cage bolts keep the spring compressed (which in turn keeps the brakes released) so you don't need air to hold it. Their main function is to provide safety when changing a service brake pancake, but they tend to get used for "other applications", mainly when the brakes are shot and the operator doesn't want to fix them. I couldn't imagine someone putting them into the only brakes on a machine, but I suppose it's possible. Overtorqued, are you a little familiar with truck air brakes?

On to the fan. What do you mean by 5" of play? I wouldn't believe it possible to have 5" either in and out, or up and down. Sounds like the belts need tightening to me. The alternator functions as the tensioner on those. I believe the air compressor has its own belt.

I'm a little familiar with air brakes. On the fan... I believe it was at least 5", no kidding. Was about ready to come off. Never seen anything like it. This poor machine was pretty beat on previously. So here's a couple pics from today.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
We almost made it out of the hole tonight. Blew a hole in the lower hose, think it may be a cooler line, not sure. Was too dark. Tire came off front rim so have to fix that too. We had to leave it cresting the hill, riggers and hoe bucket dug down, chained to the tree. Going to have to try again tomorrow if the rain isn't coming down too bad.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
This is a water pump I got for mine for $145. Man, if yours cost $400... Ouch!
If I had more time I know I could have found a reman somewhere. You know the guy told me yesterday that it was going to cost 305.00 and then today it was more plus an extra 30.00 for them to walk around the corner and pick it up from the warehouse. "Oh back in the day we sold a lot of remans" he said. "just had one here the other day but sent it back cause no one got it." "you don't see too many of those 680h's around anymore." So then it's okay to charge me 400 I guess. Grrrr.

onemank6

Overtorqued maybe i missed this but is this something for you or for a friend if its for a friend he must be a good friend. It sounds like the bad luck your having with this is the same luck i have around my place you will have a new machine when you get her done at least your getting it and making progress.I hope this ends up being your machine after all of this.I just ordered a crapton of stuff for my old ck from tractorstuff you can search them i dont know if he may have your waterpmp or not but ask for Dale there # is 765-378-3396 he is pretty fair.Take care and get her done!!

Tinkerer

Unfortunately the genius's at Case designed that water pump with a tapered bearing in it unlike most water pumps. I was told by a pump re-builder those bearings are in a very short supply and that is what is driving the price up on them. I paid $140.00 to have my 680 water pump rebuilt.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Overtorqued maybe i missed this but is this something for you or for a friend if its for a friend he must be a good friend. It sounds like the bad luck your having with this is the same luck i have around my place you will have a new machine when you get her done at least your getting it and making progress.I hope this ends up being your machine after all of this.I just ordered a crapton of stuff for my old ck from tractorstuff you can search them i dont know if he may have your waterpmp or not but ask for Dale there # is 765-378-3396 he is pretty fair.Take care and get her done!!
Good to know for in the future. Nah, not mine, but of course everything we work on is like it was our own. When it's a job, we do it to the best of our ability and want the customer happy. This one just happens to be an extraordinary challenge.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Unfortunately the genius's at Case designed that water pump with a tapered bearing in it unlike most water pumps. I was told by a pump re-builder those bearings are in a very short supply and that is what is driving the price up on them. I paid $140.00 to have my 680 water pump rebuilt.
Tapered bearings in short supply? Should have figured something as such. Rebuilt is the way to go for sure if you have the time.
Time to go beat the rain and get this machine up over the hill. Always an adventure.

Last edited:

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
image.jpg
Well I guess the soap opera has come to an end. Happy no one was injured in all of this. You all have been awesome with your help! I'm sure there will be more questions to come as we put this old beast back to working. Beer time!:):) have a video I'm going to post a link to if I can later also.

onemank6

Holy crap that was a hill it almost looked like twice she just about went backdown the hill i agree with whoever was saying gogo thats awesome you got it that has to be a load off. You more than earned a beer you better grab a few that had to been one h::: of a ride for the guy who put her down there the first time now that you got it going he can use it to scoop out his britches haha congrads