• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
You can stab at it willy nilly, but a good mechanic is a real time saver.
Another time saver is a schematic diagram.
Use the diagram to follow the electrons. Your starter has a high current circuit. Probably electrons go to the frame from the battery, pass through every bolted section between the battery & the starter frame. From the starter, current likely flows back to the battery along a heavy cable. Might be a switch or two. Solenoid might be a part of the starter, or a separate relay. Solenoid is a switch controlled by an electromagnet. Your problem might be in this high current circuit. It needs very low resistance connections ALL the way round trip. 12 volts is not enough electrical pressure to push past any high resistance connections. Current might reach 400 amps in this circuit.

Other fail is low current. To start, you need 12 volts passing through the magnetic coil in the solenoid relay. You need a helper & a lot of caution to be sure nothing rips your hands off. Follow with a bright incandescent test light first at the solenoid. If no power there, work your way back to where you do have voltage. Could be a bad connection in wiring, or inside any of the switches. Might be a fail inside solenoid, ignition switch, or the starter itself.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Seems filling in a backhoe hole would be a lot more work than using a manual post hole digger.

I have used the hoe for planting some bushes and have decided a shovel is more practical.

eKretz

Good luck getting a post set 3 feet deep (and in concrete) out with the post hole digger, I'll take a hard pass on that one. And yeah, after a few back surgeries, I'm pretty choosy of the times I actually handle a shovel at all any more. I popped the old one out with the hoe, did a little surgical work with the shovel and plopped a cardboard tube in the hole. Backfilled around it and packed it down. Bit of gravel in the bottom, then concrete in the tube around the post.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Good luck getting a post set 3 feet deep (and in concrete) out with the post hole digger, I'll take a hard pass on that one. And yeah, after a few back surgeries, I'm pretty choosy of the times I actually handle a shovel at all any more. I popped the old one out with the hoe, did a little surgical work with the shovel and plopped a cardboard tube in the hole. Backfilled around it and packed it down. Bit of gravel in the bottom, then concrete in the tube around the post.
Ahhh yeah. Concreted posts are a different story. The only post I use concrete on are gate posts.

Welder Dave

It's frustrating when you type something and go to post it but there's a problem and it won't post. You go out of that page and come back and half you post is missing when it finally does go through.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Leaking, again!:D

Well, I moved my machine for the first time since the winter a couple of weeks ago, and noticed a good amount of oil on the ground.

So, I slid under her and found the loader bank was actively dripping. Cleaned it all up, and it looked as though the leaks were from the fittings attached to the loader valve.

This machine, NH675E, is equipped with ORFS fittings. I figured, and hoped, that perhaps the 25 year old o-rings may have gotten hardened, so I set out to remove the lines from the valve and change the o-rings. I am sure glad that I purchased a o-ring kit that is specifically made for these fittings.

A pic looking up at the bank from under the tractor. I love how they routed the suction hose for the pump right under the bank.

1719173935091.jpeg
A shot of the o-rings that came out, minus the ones I dropped in the stones and never recovered. All were hard, but the 2 front ones were damaged. Not sure why, I did not remove these lines, and it never leaked before.
1719174053660.jpeg

The o-ring kit that bailed me out.
1719174135974.jpeg

Been using the hoe to move dirt for the last week, and not a drop under her.

eKretz

Leaking, again!:D

Well, I moved my machine for the first time since the winter a couple of weeks ago, and noticed a good amount of oil on the ground.

So, I slid under her and found the loader bank was actively dripping. Cleaned it all up, and it looked as though the leaks were from the fittings attached to the loader valve.

This machine, NH675E, is equipped with ORFS fittings. I figured, and hoped, that perhaps the 25 year old o-rings may have gotten hardened, so I set out to remove the lines from the valve and change the o-rings. I am sure glad that I purchased a o-ring kit that is specifically made for these fittings.

A pic looking up at the bank from under the tractor. I love how they routed the suction hose for the pump right under the bank.

View attachment 315047
A shot of the o-rings that came out, minus the ones I dropped in the stones and never recovered. All were hard, but the 2 front ones were damaged. Not sure why, I did not remove these lines, and it never leaked before.
View attachment 315048

The o-ring kit that bailed me out.
View attachment 315049

Been using the hoe to move dirt for the last week, and not a drop under her.

I bought that same kit! Definitely handy. I have a few leaks to chase also. When I finally get roundtuit. :D