• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

twisted235

Occupation
driver,operating engineer
Anyone found a starter that will work on a d21s that is less than 500.00?I was thinking about a yanmar starter or an isuzu starter or possibly a fiat allis starter.

Dozman

Anyone found a starter that will work on a d21s that is less than 500.00?I was thinking about a yanmar starter or an isuzu starter or possibly a fiat allis starter.
Have you tried to rebuild the one you have? Or have someone rebuild it?

twisted235

Occupation
driver,operating engineer
Oh yes they tell me they can't get the parts for it.I am going to visit Darinray and see if he has the parts I need. But most likely I will just go ahead and spend the money for a starter. I found 1 for 400.00 so I will only have around 4000.00 in the machine. It seems ok other than the starter.

Dozman

Oh yes they tell me they can't get the parts for it.I am going to visit Darinray and see if he has the parts I need. But most likely I will just go ahead and spend the money for a starter. I found 1 for 400.00 so I will only have around 4000.00 in the machine. It seems ok other than the starter.
has anyone seen or know how to put an deacceleration pedal on a D21?

DwayneC

does anybody know if any of the parts from the d21p-5, -6, and -7 are interchangable? IE: steering clutchs, trans parts and undercarriage? looking at a d21pl-5 with hand lever steering,

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
DwayneC.... D21PL-5 have SOME interchangeable parts but no really with the -6 and -7 machines. :( More like -3 and -5 are closer together. BUT if you do need anything for your machine contact me anytime..

DwayneC

its actually a d21p-5 im looking at with a strait tilt blade, i have access to all the parts manuals and repair manuals (work for a komatsu dealer) and have checked a few numbers and they seem still available,
is there anything a guy should look out for on the -5 machines? how are the 4d94 engines? how do you check years? the serial number is 51211 on the one im looking at...

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
It appears to be a 1981.. The motors are great IF maintained. :) What kind of price breaks do you get from part at Komatsu. :) I may be interested... LOL...

DwayneC

price break isnt as good as i though it would be on the few items i have checked, and all the parts gotta come from ripley tennessee, and im in northern canada, is there a place for aftermarket clutches and steels for trans and steering?

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Oh yeah.. Your looking at him... :) Well looking at my post. I carry all the steering clutches, brake bands, seals, bearings, and etc in stock. Give me a shout if and when you need any parts...

DwayneC

well bought it, go down and get it in about 2 weeks... i have not seen many of these d21p with the strait tilt blade setup. i guess they have the same track gauge as a d21a but the blade lift arms allow it to run the wide pads...

VP3559775_1_large.jpgVP3559775_4_large.jpgVP3559775_5_large.jpg

stathamj

Occupation
Electro-Machinist
I was wondering if anyone has some phot's of the type of brush, bushes and trees that one could realistically deal with without overworking the machine. I thought about getting one of these.
But, thought I might need to go to the D31. I've got a lot of underbrush (vines, deadlimbs) and such that I want to push into small piles and burn. So, I was hoping to see what size of tree one could push without abusing the machine.

Good informative site. Has answered several questions about the Komatsu dozer.

James

pdub

Ok I am new to the forum. Got my D20P-6 last summer and went through it pretty good. Love it and it is fun to run. Read all 117pages and learned a lot to look for as I went through it. Learned about the clutches locking up so I try to move it every time I go to the ranch. I figured out if after you use it if you wait for it to cool down then move it just a little it won't be locked up the next time you go to use. I have let it sit without use over the last 4 months during hunting season and it seems as though my steering clutches are not releasing very well. Moved it back and forth for 5 minutes the last time I was there and they seemed to start to work better. Reading on this forum I saw something about a strainer that could be clogged up. My question is, is there only one strainer that should be kept clean? I have looked through some parts diagrams and found a strainer on the main clutch housing, is this it? If not, where would one find this strainer?

Thanks

pdub

James

I use my down in S texas and can push over most trees up to about 4 inches. If its bigger you can push it over then work around the base. Most of my brush is mesquite and weesatche both have deep tap roots and I can still get them out of the ground.

pdub

I think I know there is only one strainer. When you pull it out do you lose all the oil? Should you drain it first?

John25mm

I have pushed over stuff up to 8" to 10" without a problem. On the larger stuff I will angle the blade to cut a line at 90* to the direction of push on the side I will be pushing from to cut the roots. This weakens that side it also keeps the root ball from wanting to roll up behind the blade. You do have to have good traction to do this though. If you are in muddy ground forget it. You just have to remember it is not a larger machine and take smaller nibbles on big things.
I have with no problem pushed fallen stuff up to around 20" and twnety to thirty feet long with no problem. Well no problem till one or both ends get jammed up against sometihing big, then you come to a stop or start going in circles pushing it around whatever it hooked up against.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
Just remember when pushing over a dead tree, that the top may snap and fall on you. I just heard of a friend of a friend that was doing this with a small dozer and the top snapped off and came down on him. He is now a paraplegic. I have resorted to cutting dead trees off about chest high, which leaves plenty of height on the stump to get good leverage with the blade when removing it.

Be safe out there.

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
I was wondering if anyone has some phot's of the type of brush, bushes and trees that one could realistically deal with without overworking the machine. I thought about getting one of these.
But, thought I might need to go to the D31. I've got a lot of underbrush (vines, deadlimbs) and such that I want to push into small piles and burn. So, I was hoping to see what size of tree one could push without abusing the machine.
James, I have a 50 acre tree farm that is overgrown with sweet gum trees interspersed in the pines and oaks. I use my D20A-6 to root these out and leave the oaks and pines more room. I just took a picture last week of a typical looking area that will be worked on soon. The D20 will run right through the sweet gums in this picture, but if I had to take out the larger pine in the left side background (looks like about 5 or 6 inches in diameter), I would likely have to angle the blade and take out some roots around the base of it first before pushing it over. I have found that you can start pushing against the base and then raise the blade, which does a pretty good job of plucking the tree out of the ground enough for it to fall on over.

I don't feel like I'm abusing the dozer on trees up to about five or six inches in diameter, but I had an eight inch sweet gum in the way of my driveway that I took out after about 15 minutes of cutting roots, digging out dirt, and pushing on it from all sides a few times before it finally let go. I stalled it out two or three times in the process, which is not something I like to do.

It isn't a big, heavy D6 or D9, and the little 40 horse engine has its limits. But if you have patience, you can do some amazing things with it. If you are in more of a hurry, I would say bigger is better. I like this size because I can get in and around things I want to leave without damaging them. And I have the rest of my life to clean up this 50 acre area, so the D20 suits me fine.

IMG_0369.jpg