• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

kentuckyboy

Decellerator Pedal

Has anyone installed a decellerator pedal on a D21. Can I purchase parts that will retro fit or will I need to fab everything?

cam1947

20" Swamp Pads For D20P-6

Anyone near Collins,MS needing to replace a bad pad I just removed my old chain and Pads and I am in the process of installing new Sprocket Rims , Chains , Rollers and new Grouser Pads. NO CHARGE if you need a few.

RichKat

Appalachian Mountains of Southwestern Virginia
My Battery Pholosophy

Someone asked: What I need to know now is what standard american batteries have some of you folks used? In other words what will fit, and provide the cranking amps needed required.

Hi Guys, I'm new here and I realize this post is fairly old but the topic is of interest to me and I don't see anyone saying what I'm about to say so... here goes. :)
I worked for over 12 years in the "old school" auto parts industry and there is some info I picked up about batteries that I think bears repeating.
Lead/Acid batteries have lead plates that stand in sulphuric acid and the chemical reaction between the two produces electrical current. The amount of surface area of the lead plates that is exposed to the acid determines how quickly the chemical reaction can take place. Also the thickness of the lead plates determines how much capacity the battery has to "hold" a charge.
You may have noticed that batteries have two different numbering systems that are designed to give you an idea of how the battery performs. The first, and most quoted, number is CCA (Cold Cranking Amperage). In simple terms this is how many amps the battery is designed to "pump" out when the battery is cold or how quickly the power in the battery can be jolted into the system. To acheive higher CCA the manufacturer will try to increase the surface area of the lead plates inside the battery. To keep the battery the same size so it will still go in the dozer they have to make the lead plates much thinner and put more of them in. But this also DECREASES the amount of lead in the battery so it DECREASES the Length of time that the battery can put out that kind of amps.
This "length of time" is what the other number on the battery stands for and it is called "Reserve Capacity".
What this translates to in real life is you can have a battery with high CCA that turns the engine over FAST or you can have a battery with high Reserve Capacity that (when it is cold) will turn over more slowly but will turn over much longer (or run the lights much longer). You can't have BOTH unless you go with a bigger battery which may not fit.
My experience through the years has unfailingly indicated that I do not need high cranking amps as much as I need high reserve capacity.
So I have chosen for at least 25 years to opt for Deep Cycle Marine Batteries on all of my equipment and autos. When the temp drops to zero they crank slower but MUCH longer. (This is helpful on a cold diesel.)
My lights were accidentally left on at work (in my pickup) for over 4 hours and the battery cranked it as though they hadn't been left on.
Specifically on my D20A-5 I am running two 24DCM batteries from the local auto parts (that stands for group 24 Deep Cycle Marine). They are a bit more pricey than "normal" batteries but much less than OEM, and they WORK GREAT. Put the DCM next to a normal battery of the same size and heft them... you'll immediately feel the difference in "Reserve Capacity". The DCM is noticably heavier. They are a snug fit but mine have worked very well for years.
Best Wishes,
Richard

g_man

Occupation
Retired
What a good explanation of that trade off. Thank you for posting. I just bought a new battery for my one ton dump truck with an electric over hydraulic dump cylinder. Like you said, the only thing any one talked about was CCA. If I had seen your post earlier I could have asked more questions about RC which until now did not know about. Thanks again.

RichKat

Appalachian Mountains of Southwestern Virginia
You are welcome

You are very welcome. I'm glad it was helpful. I forgot to mention that very large trucks and equipment have very large and very heavy batteries because they need both CCA and RC, but the trade-off still exists. Unless you are where the temps go into the negative regularly, you will probably appreciate a DCM battery.

John25mm

Silly question but how many pads do you have and what would you want for all of them? I have a D20A5 and would love to experiment with some "p" pads to modify to fit. I will be coming near there going to and from Ft Bliss via I 20. If you want to get rid of/sell them PM me or leave a message for me to call PM you. Thanks in advance.
John

tlogan

Not sure how to start a new thread, but I was wondering if any of you d21 guys ever considered replacing your engine with a bigger one, maybe a d31? seems like a 70hp d21 would rock. Pros and cons anyone....

pusherboy

I got mine from my dad a few weeks ago he is in his 80's now, it was stuck in the woods with a very large pine tree on top of it ever since Katrina in 05.
It took 3 days to get it started and out of the woods, the tracks were froze would only turn left and the clutch slipped.

I used this forum to learn what to do and what fluids to use, lots of things were wrong and adjustments way out and the skid plates had so much dirt in them I had bushes growing out off the floorboard.

Four more weeks of tracking down filters fluids and learning what should be and how much it should be like the clutch fluid had 5 gallons of oil in it!

It lives!! this thing is a beast now, I have cleared 5 acres of heavy woods and working on a large pond too.

Thanks to all the contributors.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Not sure how to start a new thread, but I was wondering if any of you d21 guys ever considered replacing your engine with a bigger one, maybe a d31? seems like a 70hp d21 would rock. Pros and cons anyone....

If design engineering is done properly, all things are relative tlogan. Allis-Chalmers ran into this problem back in their day when they upgraded their machines from Detroit Diesel engines to higher horsepower/torque Budda engines, the latter started tearing out final drives because of the stronger Budda engine. A-C attempted to redesign, but by then they never regained their market share to Cat.

I got mine from my dad a few weeks ago he is in his 80's now, it was stuck in the woods with a very large pine tree on top of it ever since Katrina in 05.
It took 3 days to get it started and out of the woods, the tracks were froze would only turn left and the clutch slipped.

I used this forum to learn what to do and what fluids to use, lots of things were wrong and adjustments way out and the skid plates had so much dirt in them I had bushes growing out off the floorboard.

Four more weeks of tracking down filters fluids and learning what should be and how much it should be like the clutch fluid had 5 gallons of oil in it!

It lives!! this thing is a beast now, I have cleared 5 acres of heavy woods and working on a large pond too.

Thanks to all the contributors.

Even with their flaws, they're still sturdy little machine. Enjoy it pusherboy.

crawlake

Hi,
I've read through all 116 pages of this post, but can't seem to find the info I am looking for. I've been going through my D21P-6, and am going to change all of my fluids. It been cold here now for a couple weeks, ( -20 during the days, and -35 at nights ), and I have some clearing i would like to get done on the frost. I'm just wondering if the fluids the manual recommends will work in this type of weather. There is lots of great information on this post, thanks to all who posted.
Chris

pusherboy

I couldn't find any 10w oil for the clutch so I went with 10w40 and it made the clutch stop slipping, I think it had way too much hydraulic oil in it and that made the clutch slip anyway I was going by what happened with my four wheeler when it got a dose of synthetic oil it started slipping and stopped when it was changed out.

Dozman

New to the site,luv all the info.I have a D21-6 slow starting in any weather.Does anybody know what the cold cranking amps should be for the batteries? Both together

pusherboy

New to the site,luv all the info.I have a D21-6 slow starting in any weather.Does anybody know what the cold cranking amps should be for the batteries? Both together

Yeah mine does that too but as soon as the temps go back to around 70 it cranks on a bump even cold so I think I need glow plugs.
I do have a tip they gave me at the Komatsu dealer regarding my frozen tracks they said to mix the old engine oil with fuel in a bug sprayer and soak the tracks
down, that has helped my tracks tremendously.

I had to get batteries too and I measured the battery box the size of the box only allows for a standard car battery and the manual calls for 2x60 amp hrs so I just bought 2 $58 batteries at walmart and they work fine.

Jerell

If your glowplugs aren't heating up when you turn your ignition to the left then the little spring that lights up is probably burned out. Just tie the two wires together and it will heat the glowplugs and should start righ tup in cold weather.

Jerell

I doubt if you need glow plugs. I had the same problem and my problem was the little spring that is supposed to turn red when you turn yur key to the left to heat the glowplugs was burned out. I tied the two wires together and now in cold weather I turn the key to the left for about 12 seconds to heat the glowplugs and it fires right up in cold weather.

pusherboy

I think that will be my problem since nothing gets hot in the finger hole.
I almost got knocked off the dozer the other day when a branch slapped the paint off the machine beside me, I'm now building a roll cage and thinking about some sort of limb protection too, maybe some grating.