• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scottish heavy equipment mechanic

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
He obviously had some serious issues that maybe could have been treated. A current commercial on TV claims 1 in 4 Canadians suffer from anxiety attacks.
It doesn't help that men aren't encouraged to seek help with their mental health either. In fact its often frowned upon and it shouldn't be.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
He seemed a really level headed guy anytime he came to Canada for a visit. But he really loved Canadian beer. We even took him snowmobiling a couple times. 2/3s of all suicides are men

Welder Dave

It doesn't help that men aren't encouraged to seek help with their mental health either. In fact its often frowned upon and it shouldn't be.
It is a problem for sure. I think a lot of guys feel like they are less of a person(or man) if they go for therapy or see a counselor. It's a good thing they are trying hard to change the stigma of seeking help for mental issues. I think I read where everybody has some type of issue(s) even if they are quite minor and don't really need therapy. It takes a strong person to admit they could use some help dealing with things. What I think is really backwards is psychiatrists who prescribe pills are covered by most benefit or insurance policies but psychologists who can't prescribe pills but have to actually have to talk to you aren't covered. I experienced this 1st hand after having what was thought to be encephalitis following a wrongful dismissal. I'm positive stress was a big contributor. As soon as I felt comfortable talking a psychiatrist put me on an anti- depressant. He never even got into what was bothering me or the loss of my job. I stopped taking it after about 3 days because I didn't think I needed it. I just wanted to talk to someone professional about what was bothering me. I went to my next 5 minute appt. and said I stopped taking the pills. The Dr. said I shouldn't have stopped and basically ended the appt. Not only that he cancelled my next appt. and never rescheduled another one. Before I ever went to the hospital I paid to see a psychologist. He was really good but the morning of my next appt. is when I lost my memory and my dad rushed me to the ER because I was totally out of it and making up words. I was in the hospital for 5 weeks. The psychiatrist I had in the hospital was worse than useless. I thought the next one recommended bt my family Dr. would be better. He was but not as far as seeing what was troubling me. He did set up tests to see how my memory was doing and I was at above grade 12 level. The only issue that was a concern was my short term memory but it gradually improved. He said I'd probably always have trouble with short term memory. I would love if psychologists were covered by benefits or insurance plans. It's really stupid they aren't!

Zewnten

Inusrance 100% and most doctors that accept it aren't about fixing the problems just drugging enough to cover it up. Seen it happen over and over. What's crazy is all the reports about the wealthy vs not wealthy neighborhoods waste water. Wealthy people it's vitamins and the poor is anti depresents, somehting to think about, i think.
Finding a doctor not trying to scam people for more money is a long hard process and most people only see a doctor when they're already on a deadline and can't play the long game and the industry knows it.

Victor mcdade

Is there still the option to come (as an apprentice) if you don't pass the exam?
No, because I can prove my hours since I was an apprentice I can challenge the exam it just takes time, the deal is if you have 8000hrs +4.5 years experience you can't be an apprentice as far as I know but it's just a waiting game now

Welder Dave

If you don't pass the journeyman tests you're still an apprentice as far as I know in Alberta. Hours only matter in that you have to have a minimum for each year of the apprenticeship. It was 1800 hours but not sure if it's the same now. You don't automatically get journeyman status even if you have 20,000 hours. The only time I've heard of hours being grandfathered in is for motorcycle mechanics because it wasn't a seperate trade at the time. Still they had to pass all the tests. Once certain tests are passed I think you are good and don't have to retake them, ie/ if you pass the practical test but fail the theory portion you can retake the theory portion without having to do the practical over. I worked with a guy who came from Sweden. Very good welder but had no experience with a cutting torch because in Sweden all the cutting is done by the fitters. He passed all the other tests but without cutting couldn't get his journeyman papers. I believe they paid him 3rd year (welding is 3 years) apprentice rate which is 90% of journeyman rate. I think he practiced for several weeks and was able to pass the cutting test. You can reschedule tests within 2 or 3 weeks if you fail but if you fail a 2nd time you have to wait 3 month's I think before you can try again. Fail a 3rd time you have to wait even longer. I never had to redo any tests but knew 1 guy who got kicked out of 1st year 3 times because he was either late or missed more than 2 days. The school was very strict because there were so many apprentices waiting to get in. I started getting sick at school and missed 1 day and was 15 minutes late another day because my truck battery mysteriously went dead. I was warned I couldn't be late or miss any more time. The day I was late happened to be the only day they wanted us to come in early to do the final 2 hour theory test because of a holiday. I was the 3rd or 4th student to finish the test. I got 88%. Nobody got 100%.

Last edited:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
If you're doing the full deal (on and off road) you'll write 2 Provincial exams and 2 Red Seal exams. Tests aren't too terrible and they give you 3 hours to get each one done. Most of us were walking out the door around the 2 hour mark. Bear in mind we all only had about 4 years/8,000 hours of experience at that point too. Someone whose been in the trade for years longer than that should breeze right through it without much trouble.

chidog

No crazy tests here that I know of to work on equipment. Problem is even ones giving tests are probably in the dark about what is really going on, doing some of the work. I worked in a few different trades and worked with many folks with tons of years experience, I could not understand how they ever got into that type of work, some just knew enough to do the job somewhat.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
A lot of operator jobs are off limits to me as I have no certification. I looked at going to the mines in Baffin Island, and was told to get a red seal first. My father pilled wrenches all his life. They gave him his license as he had enough time working at a dealership to be grandfathered in. He did have to challenge the T&T exam when he switched to trucks.

56wrench

I like the canadian/alberta system because it sets a minimum standard of knowledge and skill for tradespeople. If you can’t meet the standard, then you can’t run a shop or jobsite. If you’re not qualified, then you are either a helper or a labourer and paid accordingly. The Red Seal program just sets a higher standard than basic and lets you be able to work in other provinces. I’ve seen guys fix their own brakes and steering without having much knowledge but i cringe at having them on the same road as me

cfherrman

The guy that works on my rig if it's not me is 20-22 years old, has no certs, and there's not a mechanic in town I trust over him.

Certs just make you pay more, doesn't mean anything. Just read the truck heating up thread, I'm guessing that guy has certs.

Victor mcdade

If you don't pass the journeyman tests you're still an apprentice as far as I know in Alberta. Hours only matter in that you have to have a minimum for each year of the apprenticeship. It was 1800 hours but not sure if it's the same now. You don't automatically get journeyman status even if you have 20,000 hours. The only time I've heard of hours being grandfathered in is for motorcycle mechanics because it wasn't a seperate trade at the time. Still they had to pass all the tests. Once certain tests are passed I think you are good and don't have to retake them, ie/ if you pass the practical test but fail the theory portion you can retake the theory portion without having to do the practical over. I worked with a guy who came from Sweden. Very good welder but had no experience with a cutting torch because in Sweden all the cutting is done by the fitters. He passed all the other tests but without cutting couldn't get his journeyman papers. I believe they paid him 3rd year (welding is 3 years) apprentice rate which is 90% of journeyman rate. I think he practiced for several weeks and was able to pass the cutting test. You can reschedule tests within 2 or 3 weeks if you fail but if you fail a 2nd time you have to wait 3 month's I think before you can try again. Fail a 3rd time you have to wait even longer. I never had to redo any tests but knew 1 guy who got kicked out of 1st year 3 times because he was either late or missed more than 2 days. The school was very strict because there were so many apprentices waiting to get in. I started getting sick at school and missed 1 day and was 15 minutes late another day because my truck battery mysteriously went dead. I was warned I couldn't be late or miss any more time. The day I was late happened to be the only day they wanted us to come in early to do the final 2 hour theory test because of a holiday. I was the 3rd or 4th student to finish the test. I got 88%. Nobody got 100%.
As far as I know if I get all my hours of work in my trade verifyed (25) years and my British city and guilds qualifications, I can sit the exam after 18 months in the country, to work unrestricted I require a skills letter from my employer in Scotland and my employer in Alberta and you're classed as a heavy equipment mechanic uncertified, at least that's the official line I've been told, but really I don't care what my title is as long as I get paid

Welder Dave

It looks like you have to have all the program requirements completed in 18 month's in order to become an Alberta journeyman. I would imagine you can challenge the Red Seal exam(s) at the same time if required. Alberta had the highest standards in the country, at least for welding, and many who took the Red Seal test thought it was unnecessary because it was the same test as the Alberta test only 50 more questions. It was strictly theory to get the Red Seal. The practical tests in Alberta were harder from what I've heard from people coming from other province's. The B pressure test in Alberta was quite a bit more difficult but I think the tests have become standard all across Canada now so the qualifications are the same/similar in all province's. Alberta requires a trade certificate or be a registered apprentice to work in most trades. Most other province's it wasn't a requirement and Alberta wouldn't recognize out of province journeyman tickets. The Alberta tests could be challenged as well the Red Seal. Now the Red Seal test is standardized across Canada. I think the practical tests are standardized as well. I don't think the Red Seal was even offered in a lot of other province's until everything became standardized.

Tradesecrets - Trades Qualifier- Recognized Credential Program Details (alberta.ca)

Last edited: