• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first track loader!

JJBell

Problem Starting my 175c crawler loader

Hello fellow 175c crawler loader owners, I was running my machine just fine all day then stopped to refuel. When trying to restart, I heard the solenoid click (tried twice) then nothing. Eliminated battery, starter switch, and starter motor (was able to spin it by running a 12 volt line to the power bolt on the motor), so I am now trying to do the same with the solenoid but can't find the hot lead to it. I see small ground line but that is it. I will try to get a picture of what I am looking at to post but for the time being, does anyone have any suggestions? By the way, I am new to forums so please excuse me if I am not following protocall... Thanks, John

JJBell

BINGO... the lack of a wire on the solenoid was really was bugging me so I traced the line from the switch on the dash and found a relay on the "firewall"!... hot jumper'd it and she fired right up!!! Looks like the line from the switch to this relay must be open. Take care all, John

kb9tci

BINGO... the lack of a wire on the solenoid was really was bugging me so I traced the line from the switch on the dash and found a relay on the "firewall"!... hot jumper'd it and she fired right up!!! Looks like the line from the switch to this relay must be open. Take care all, John

I had that problem with an International dump truck once. I about pulled the remainder of my hair out until i found that second little solenoid hidden away! :drinkup

JJBell

I had that problem with an International dump truck once. I about pulled the remainder of my hair out until i found that second little solenoid hidden away! :drinkup
Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this. Still jumpering the switch get it started. I have to find where the open is... not sure if it is the corrosion on the switch or the wire is broken. What did you do to fix it?

kb9tci

Mine was simple enough to just be the second solenoid. I changed it and all was better.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Luckily my Allis is a direct wire to the starter, simple push button makes up the hot line to the start solenoid with no added solenoids between. IH and Deere sometimes Cat get so complex with the simplest systems.

boone

This is good to know. About 1 out of every 4 starts we get a click and nothing. If the starter button is held down after the click, the starter will eventually engage in a second or two. It's not frequent enough to be annoying, but eventually may try to fix it.

Just a week ago we recently replaced our batteries. One of the old batteries was 6 years old and the other was 7 years old. We've been jumping it off the last couple of times we've used it. Figured we'd bite the bullet. Got a couple of Deka Commercial Group 31s. She really whirls up now.

boone

On a whem one day, we took the loader and cleaned between a couple of the out buildings on the old homeplace. Little bit overkill, but worked really well. The old cauldrons you see hanging on the sheds were used many years ago on hog killing day to cook chitterlings. Also known as chittlins. Wasn't a big fan myself.

14619710862_892fafe85f_o-640.jpg

There was a little oak tree between these two buildings that was getting a bit big. The ole 175 has pushed over it's fair share of trees, today it was a gentle giant helping to transplant this little fellow. It's the wrong time of the year to be transplanting trees, but we thought we'd give it a shot. The soil was nice and damp when we did this. Dad posed for this picture so that one day, many years from now we can show the grandkids how this tree ended up here by the barn.

14433833627_48150ebf41_o-640.jpg

The tree was stressed as you can see in the picture below a month later. It was starting to lose some of it's leaves. Below is my little water helper. He was "helping" me tote a few buckets of water from the spring. I think the little tree might make it.

14657056323_bb9f2a4b3a_o-640.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Looks great Boone! Hope the tree makes it.

The old barn and "hog killing day" brings back memories. Not a fan of chittlins either but the old timers didn't waste a thing - from the "rooter to the tooter".:D

boone

Water Line

Had a freeze problem in the well house last year and ever since we haven't had a good way to wash our greasy hands while working over here. The water stream by the barn worked good for washing, but I don't like snakes and I've seen a few that like to hang around there. We started digging up the 50 or 60 year old line out from the well house and just decided to replace the entire line to the outdoor faucet.

We ripped out the old shutoff valve here and moved it back to the well house.

DSC05709-640.jpg

The run wasn't that long and we couldn't justify renting a trencher.

DSC05708-640.jpg

DSC05711-640.jpg

Too bad we couldn't track the loader back in here. We did finally get this thing out without bustin' a gut.

DSC05712-640.jpg

boone

Wired up some light bulbs on a thermostat for freeze protection. If the inside temp goes below 40F they'll come on. We only have 220 out here to the pump and so the lights are in series. Since they're in series, there's two pair for redundancy if a bulb blows.

DSC05715-640.jpg

New line in.

DSC05717-640.jpg

DSC05718-640.jpg

Checked for leaks and covered.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Looks good Boone. That's what we did yesterday at the shop.:D

Ran about 450', added 3 new hydrants and got rid of some garden hoses that run all over the place.

boone

Thanks CM. Yeah, we debated on just running a temp garden hose from the well house spigot for the few times we'd be over working, but figured in the long run a real line would pay off with no hassle. That's a lot of line you did. Do you have a trencher in your arsenal? Or did you just trench it with the 321?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Same here, had some time and 3/4" SDR 21 was $.20 a foot at Lowes, so we decided to get rid of the hoses. I have a trencher attachment for a skid steer to dig most of the trench and the 334 mini to dig the tight spots we couldn't get with the skid and trencher, pretty quick when going 12" or so with open area.

boone

Now that's the way to do it! I forgot you had the mini too.

boone

Here's two in the process of clearing shots of a ditch we cleared a couple of years ago, so that we could cut it.

DSC04499-640.jpg

DSC04505-640.jpg

Fast forward to Saturday. Spring time cutting is really the only time we can't cut it. Just too marshy. It was on the edge this time. I saw a large snapping turtle in the patch of the grass you see in the foreground. I was backing into and saw him rise up and move. I ended up leaving he and his grassy home.

DSC05763-640.jpg

It's August and still wet. On the last pass up close to the tile, I got stuck. :rolleyes: Dad wasn't too far away on the M5140 and I motioned for him to come over for a tow. Since I wasn't buried to the axle it was a quick extraction.

DSC05756-640.jpg

boone

Water lines 12" down? Light bulbs for freeze-protection? I wish!!! :D

There were lines 12 feet deep freezing here this year!

Andrew

What?!?! :eek: Can't imagine that kind of cold. We usually have small spurts of low temperatures below freezing, but it won't last more than a few days, which is fine with me. :)