• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first track loader!

boone

Thanks for the update Boone! looks like the track loader got a GOOD workout.

Indeed - I know it got a good workout, cause even my legs were sore at the end of the day. It's really been running solid last couple hundred hours. We've got 330 hours on it now. That's all the good I'm going to say about it though, don't want to jinks anything, lol.

boone

Must be nice to only bury stuff that shallow! "Here" there had better be at least 6 feet of dirt on top of it - 8 feet is better. Otherwise, the frost will just push it all up over time.

Andrew

Living in the deep south, I can't say that I've ever had to deal with that geological process. How does that work? Ice forming below the debris eventually expanding pushing it up and out of the ground? I saw a video on youtube of a D9 in texas digging a mass burial hole for cattle that was way deeper than the machine. Pretty incredible.

jughead

Occupation
retired
would love to work in dirt like that for a little while. cut my teeth "playing " in what seems to be ancient creek bed nothing but rock and a little sand. everything i do seems to require digging out rocks some of them huge. so big a pickup would struggle to haul. oh and the playing part is still true after 20 plus years still AINT an operator not sure if i qualify for a lever puller

boone

would love to work in dirt like that for a little while. cut my teeth "playing " in what seems to be ancient creek bed nothing but rock and a little sand. everything i do seems to require digging out rocks some of them huge. so big a pickup would struggle to haul.

We've been lucky on all of our holes considering the size rocks we have in such close proximity. There's one area that we can't get into to "play", er clean up because smack in the middle of a wet weather spring. We're too chicken to get it.

oh and the playing part is still true after 20 plus years still AINT an operator not sure if i qualify for a lever puller

Same here. But I sure have fun trying.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My little farm is Loess soil on the hill tops/upper sides, works to broken rock slabs on the low sides to the creek which is sheet rock bottomed almost to the look of concrete it is so smooth. Slabs tend to be 6" to 2' thick and anywhere from 2 x4' to 6x10' pretty well all flint or a flint mix and do not break well. Got a few I intend to use for landscape if the old 7G will move them.

As to the deep soil it cuts relatively well for the first two to three feet then packs in tight, works the teeth on the loader pretty hard and breakout being degraded some from age gets a little dicey for pulling a full bucket load out. Have had luck using the 4/1 as a dozer to break through and then clam the spoil but takes longer than just digging in.

dhutch

Boone,

I'm looking at a similar 175C. Curious if youve had any issues with finding parts, high wear items, etc? I know the DT466 is a popular engine, filters, oils, etc can be had along with undercarriage parts. What about anything else? i.e. final drive parts, etc.

thanks

boone

Dhutch, we've been pretty lucky on parts. We found everything we needed for the engine swap no problem. Haven't needed any exotic parts...knock on wood. Seal kits, orings, hoses, all that is readily available. Pumps can be rebuilt. We had one steel hydraulic line that we needed to replace and the Komatsu dealer had it but it was $600. Probably available used , but it turned out to be fixable so dodged a bullet on that. The big parts like undercarriage, finals, radiators are all available but you have to scout them out, and they're used.

If you start with a decent machine and not one that's been run in the ground, I wouldn't be too afraid of a 175c.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Boone, I had forgotten about the diesel and oil smell that was mixed in with the fresh earth smell back in the day. I also remember that Gene's wife would not let him come inside the new house that he had just had built for her because he stank after working all day. She insisted that he take his work clothes off in the garage before entering. She said that he smelt just like diesel fuel. I didn't know that diesel fuel had a bad smell unless it had gone bad from old age!

boone

Still working a weekend here and there. Thought I'd throw up a few pictures of this weekend's work. Spring is around the corner. Some things are budding, other things are still quite dry. We took advantage of the semi-dry conditions and set three of our big piles on fire. We still have a lot of dry sage stubble in the fields so we made a fire break around all of the piles. Good thing we did. The wind picked up as soon as they started roaring and one jumped the break. It was out of sight from where me and dad were standing and my brother flew up on his tractor sounding the alarm (blowing horn) so I ran and got my tractor. There's something about brush piles and grass fires that gets my heart rate up fast!

DSC05601-640.jpg

DSC05606-640.jpg

Next day, got the 175 out and consolidated one of the three big piles

DSC05642-640.jpg

We lit these piles off first thing and did other things during the day. The smoke literately followed us all day. My wife and kids were visiting her parents out of town, but I still think she could smell me.

DSC05647-640.jpg

DSC05649-640.jpg

boone

DSC05650-640.jpg

DSC05652-640.jpg

Here's what this pile started as

DSC05600-640.jpg

Ended up with this. Hoped it would burn completely up, but we ran out of time to spend on it. You can see another pile in the background. We'll combine the two on another day.

DSC05679-640.jpg

nova481

Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
It must be nice to have a few less laws in your state. If we tried to do that here in New Jersey we would end up in jail. I think a campfire is against the law here.

Ron

boone

Yes, it's been nice to not have our hands tied on burning. Technically, we should've gotten a burn permit, but we didn't. There are Alabama laws that now ban burning during certain windows of time during the summer months to help with air quality. That law doesn't affect our county...yet. However, if the forestry commission sees big plumes of black smoke, you better believe they'll come find you. There were a few small planes that came overhead during the day. Who knows, maybe they were watching.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My county just requires notification to the local fire department if the no burn ordinances aren't active, real dry times they stop all burns.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The open burn ban for the Birmingham area starts May 1 and ends Nov 1, several counties are affected.

It is nice to be able to burn brush the rest of the year. Legally we can only burn vegetated debris and non-treated lumber. In the old days, land clearing fires were started rather easily, a couple of old tires and some diesel. Light the tires and push the pile over on them. They'll throw you under the jail if they catch you burning tires now.

Barky

Hehe, I just burned a 16 ft high by 80ft long pile of black locust. One of the FD guys deer hunts on my land and volunteered the F dept to come out for some fun. Worked out great, no hassels from anyone. I was very intimidated by the pile size and wouldn't have wanted to do it by myself. Im still clearing land with my 175C and will have another pile this fall. For me the 175 has been the perfect machine capacity wise. It does a great job of packing a tight pile that burns fully, rather than say a loose pile with a skid loader.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Did you guys have a water tank or anything on hand in case it got out of hand? We had lots of farmers and landowners doing the same thing a couple years ago and nobody seems to want to take a few little precautions and keep some brooms, rakes, or some hose and water nearby. But on the other hand we probably wouldn't get any fire calls so to each its own. lol

boone

Hehe, I just burned a 16 ft high by 80ft long pile of black locust. One of the FD guys deer hunts on my land and volunteered the F dept to come out for some fun. Worked out great, no hassels from anyone. I was very intimidated by the pile size and wouldn't have wanted to do it by myself. Im still clearing land with my 175C and will have another pile this fall. For me the 175 has been the perfect machine capacity wise. It does a great job of packing a tight pile that burns fully, rather than say a loose pile with a skid loader.

Nice! The 4-n-1 would make it really nice for piling a bit higher too. Someone one here once said when we got the 175 running good that we wouldn't be disappointed and they were right on. It's been great machine for what we've done with it.

boone

Did you guys have a water tank or anything on hand in case it got out of hand? We had lots of farmers and landowners doing the same thing a couple years ago and nobody seems to want to take a few little precautions and keep some brooms, rakes, or some hose and water nearby. But on the other hand we probably wouldn't get any fire calls so to each its own. lol

We did bring two shovels to beat out the grass fires, but the fire break we made around the piles did their job for the most part.