• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first track loader!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I was backing into and saw him rise up and move. I ended up leaving he and his grassy home.

I see you have a soft spot too.:)

We did a job in Tuscaloosa for a motel site. It was previously a graveled lot that sold trailers. We began stripping the gravel, 6" thick or so to save for trench backfill. There was one of those birds with the long legs that make their nest on the ground, yeah I know not too descriptive but that's not the point of the story.:D

Anyway, momma guarded that nest of eggs like a champ, wouldn't flinch when the dozer got within a few feet of her. That kind of bravery and determination is something to respect and we did. Left her nest and that little patch of gravel until the eggs hatched. It was in the parking lot area and not the building pad so we had time to let it be.

Water lines 12" down? Light bulbs for freeze-protection? I wish!!!

There were lines 12 feet deep freezing here this year!

LOL Andrew D, we don't have to deal with cold weather, now very hot, sticky humidity is another story..:cool2

Andrew_D

What?!?! :eek: Can't imagine that kind of cold. We usually have small spurts of low temperatures below freezing, but it won't last more than a few days, which is fine with me. :)

Yeah, that was a small town just south of me. Neighbours were leaving taps running round-the-clock just to avoid the problem.

Winnipeg had thousands of houses without water during the winter. 500 without water as of May 28 (http://globalnews.ca/news/1358331/hot-weather-but-water-pipes-still-frozen-in-winnipeg/). Haven't heard anything lately - I'm assuming they are thawed out by now!

Andrew

boone

I guess running water is the only way in that kind of cold. Like CM said, it's been hot and sticky here. I'm ready for some cooler weather, but nothing that cool. Brrrr!

boone

I see you have a soft spot too.:)

That's a great story CM. I try to be careful with the living things when I see them, but there not always in my line of sight. This weekend while we were clearing a little spot I ran over a ground-hog. Just didn't see him. However, if he's the one who's been in our barn I'm glad to have gotten him. On another note, last year I was making a push through some grown up bramble on the side of a ditch and as the dirt was rolling up in my bucket, up popped a turtle riding the dirt wave. I even took a picture of it.

DSC05207-640.jpg

I immediately stopped my push and started in another direction. I was hoping to give the little fellow some time to crawl off somewhere before proceeding with that push.

Dickjr.

You guys are probably 350 miles south of me on 65 , we have to go at least 30" deep with water lines here by plumbing code which I don't understand why it falls under plumbing code as its out doors. We have to have a licensed plumber install the line. We do it sometimes with out , they can make a stink if a licensed plumber comes by and reports you. Same with sewer lines even going to a septic tank. All has to be permitted and inspected. I can lay a municipal sanity , set manholes etc, but can't put a freakin 20' sdr35 house sewer in. Go figure.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I can lay a municipal sanity , set manholes etc, but can't put a freakin 20' sdr35 house sewer in. Go figure.

Same thing here. I loose out on a lot of easy money on the commercial jobs running site sewer, water and grease traps because I don't have a plumbers card.

Once a service leaves the ROW one has to be a plumber to run it.

boone

After cutting this past weekend I took an after shot of a fencerow and some patchy spots we'd cleared a few years ago.

Before

DSC03461-640.jpg

During, which happen to be our first day with the loader.

DSC03778-640.jpg

This is a shot from this past Saturday (Aug 9th).

DSC05767-640.jpg

boone

To the left of the pictures in the previous post is a spring that we tip toed around, but couldn't clear because of a wet weather spring.

Here's some panarama shots taken on top of the small hill looking down. We were in the process of clearing and V'ing out the ditches along this fencerow.

The spring is in the middle of the fencerow. It's in front of the loader in the picture below. And that's about as far as we went when we were clearing.

DSC03823-640.jpg

Panning further right - we picked up with the clearing on the other side of the spring. The water is just beyond the big rock. Today, it keeps this ditch wet all the way to road.

DSC03821-640.jpg

boone

Fast forward couple of years and here's what's left. Saturday, we tip toed around it some more and took out what we could. Figured we're safe in going as far left as the cedar in the middle.

DSC05764-640.jpg

Got the loader out and fueled it up. After tracking it down to the tank I looked up in the corner of the canopy and noticed a large wasp nest with about 10 wasps about 2 feet from my head! :eek: Can't believe they didn't sting me as rough as that ride was. Happen to have a can of wasp spray in case something like that happened.

Nothing big in here except a couple of rocks.

DSC05786-640.jpg

Pool of water just below the cedar.

DSC05791-640.jpg

boone

Started making a cut on the bank to shave off a hump. I was hoping by taking this berm out I would have more of a ramp to push the growth out cross-ways thru the ditch and back up this side of it.

DSC05801-640.jpg

DSC05802-640.jpg

DSC05804-640.jpg

DSC05805-640.jpg

boone

There was barb wire from the old fence and big rock that we'd pushed off the hill.

DSC05807-640.jpg

DSC05809-640.jpg

DSC05810-640.jpg

DSC05813-640.jpg

boone

Almost to the cedar and no sign of major stuckage.

DSC05814-640.jpg

The cedar and beyond is wetland

DSC05816-640.jpg

Took just a few minutes with the loader. Time for the tractor to move in and shape it up a little.

DSC05830-640.jpg

boone

Here's a before and after from the top of the hill.

DSC03822-640.jpg

DSC05838-640.jpg

DSC05839-640.jpg

DSC05842-640.jpg

DSC05844-640.jpg

One day we'll get the rest of it.

boone

Thanks RC. We've put around 375 hours on it. We only have a few more spots we'd like to clear and shape up. We've almost completed the main projects we'd intended to do with it.

Landclearer

Boone,

I really enjoy your post. Thanks for taking the time to do it. What is your plans for the loader once you are done?

boone

Thanks Landclearer, I have fun posting the updates. We'll probably just hang on to it. At the rate we're completing our projects it's going to be a few more years before we get them all done :)

Landclearer

Thanks Boone. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it. If you did sell I do not think you would have any trouble. I would put my name in the hat for it:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Looks good Boone. Can you burn year around or is there a burn ban in the county during the summer months?

I wouldn't get rid of it, it's worth more to you having around than the money you'll get for it. That's like my ol' Blue (Gradall 534D6), I'd rather have it around than the money I'd get for it.

Dickjr.

I second keeping it around , looks like you guys have several acres , and surely you could get plenty more use out of it. Besides it seems to be a real solid machine. If you sell it can you replace it later for the same $ or less? May even do a few odds and ends for neighbors for a few bucks on the side as well.