• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Harvest in full swing:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Down to the last 520 acres to harvest. This farm is flat and relatively rectangular in shape with the bulk. We will hit this hard tomorrow as may rain on Wednesday.

Old Doug

I went to my sisters farm in Iowa they put me to work right away haling beans to the elevator they were finishing up the last field of beans. His dad is 90 and they dont want him driving a semi. If i would have know they needed me i would have went a week ago.

1693TA

Occupation
It is unbelievably difficult to find reliable help even for "cash money" for something as easy as sitting a truck seat and doing not much else. Cousin has had different drivers that start the harvest, get into it several days, demand payment, and don't come back. Given his extremely casual and laid back demeanor, I cannot imagine he would be at any type of fault. Down from three drivers, myself and the co-driver keep up very well so a third isn't needed. Can't figure it out myself as if you have and express a concern, it's addressed. Case in point is last year I said the drive tires on the tractor I drive were getting a bit thin, and old. I show up this year with brand new drive tires installed:

20231008_154009.jpg20230928_092929.jpg

How do you argue with something like that?

Like Doug, had I know he was struggling with help several years ago, I'd have jumped in the saddle sooner.

1693TA

Occupation
375+/- left to go after today. Good day with consistent flow. Only backup(s) were at the elevator but not long. Think I made nine trips myself with other truck making one more. I carried consistent 675+ bushel loads with other truck just a bit more than 1000 bushel per load.

Averaging just about 250 bushel per acre so a good harvest.

Old Doug

I tell myself things are going to change . Next year i am going to make sure i can help them more . There is things in life that need to be done and helping family is one of them. Late today a buddy called and said his JD 3020 that is running a auger stopped running . He is only a few miles away i found that the shut off soilenoid had shorted out . I jammed the plunger in it for now so they could use it .

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
This is the truck and trailer I drove most of yesterday. 1987 International S-1954 I think is the series. 185hp DT-466 engine with Allison MT-643 transmission.

View attachment 295421

This is 51,730# of harvested corn in the hopper bottom trailer:

View attachment 295419

View attachment 295420

She is slow but steady and reliable. Tare weight on truck and trailer after dumping was 19,660#.
I wish I was retired. Retired guys get to pick & choose the most fun jobs!
I'm still answering 15 phone calls a day, people wanting a before cold weather major project done tomorrow, or at latest by the end of the week.

On another note, I've pondered many years why so many trucks seem under powered? I'm ignorant of heavy haul trucks with 10 to 12 tires, & certainly ignorant of 18-20 tired semi trailer rigs, but the six tired trucks & road tractors seem appallingly under powered.

I had a 1976 Chevy C65 nameplate 27500 GVWR, titled at 25999, I bought it with a 366 gas, changed it to a 427 gas. It was terrible on hills in general. Most of the 14 years I owned it it was essential to have the gas tank full to climb the steepest hill I frequent. Last year I owned it it got where I had to unload the trailer, or help it up with a pickup. Found a cracked O ring on a fuel filter cannister, that helped, but ultimately, I had to replace all of the fuel supply system. I could once again climb that hill loaded.

"New" truck is a 1990 GMC Top Kick, 28000 LBS GVWR. 3208 Cat is rated at 250 HP. "New" truck is able to climb, albeit very slowly. Allison does convert torque to get me up the hill, but I worry if the transmission will overheat.

Any theories why mid size trucks are universally underpowered?

MG84

I wish I was retired. Retired guys get to pick & choose the most fun jobs!
I'm still answering 15 phone calls a day, people wanting a before cold weather major project done tomorrow, or at latest by the end of the week.

On another note, I've pondered many years why so many trucks seem under powered? I'm ignorant of heavy haul trucks with 10 to 12 tires, & certainly ignorant of 18-20 tired semi trailer rigs, but the six tired trucks & road tractors seem appallingly under powered.

I had a 1976 Chevy C65 nameplate 27500 GVWR, titled at 25999, I bought it with a 366 gas, changed it to a 427 gas. It was terrible on hills in general. Most of the 14 years I owned it it was essential to have the gas tank full to climb the steepest hill I frequent. Last year I owned it it got where I had to unload the trailer, or help it up with a pickup. Found a cracked O ring on a fuel filter cannister, that helped, but ultimately, I had to replace all of the fuel supply system. I could once again climb that hill loaded.

"New" truck is a 1990 GMC Top Kick, 28000 LBS GVWR. 3208 Cat is rated at 250 HP. "New" truck is able to climb, albeit very slowly. Allison does convert torque to get me up the hill, but I worry if the transmission will overheat.

Any theories why mid size trucks are universally underpowered?
If I’m not mistaken you live in an area similar to myself with steep mountain grades. When you load any truck to max gvw and head up a 10, 15, 20% grade your going to be crawling. There is a couple big hills on the highway here that the semi’s pull at about 20mph when fully loaded, my old 190hp diesel medium duties pull it at about 10mph loaded to max. Sure it is somewhat slower but also gets exceptionally good fuel economy, if it takes me a few extra minutes to get somewhere so be it.

With all that being said, there are usually a plethora of engine and transmission choices in class 6 and larger trucks. Depending on the application the original purchaser may have been going fo cheapest upfront cost or best fuel economy when they originally ordered a truck. When a guy like you or I come along and buy it used sometimes you have to take what you can get. I’m amazed at how many Ford medium duty trucks durring the 90’s were ordered with a 5.9l cummins. I’m sure it was largely based on the engines reputation more than anything, thats a tiny peanut of an engine for a MDT in my opinion.

1693TA

Occupation
If it would have needed a laptop to get it going i dont know if i could have fixed it. I still fill good about getting something going when some one needs it most.
You would be surprised how many of the local diesel "technicians" around here cannot perform a dry, and wet compression test on a gasoline engine at the least; let alone interpret the results once shown how. Never heard the term "leakdown", or "comparative analysis" in their training.

Shutoff solenoid problem you mentioned. I've seen two pumps pulled from engines, sent in for rebuild, reinstalled and engines still will not start. One was a bad shutoff solenoid, the other? No power to the solenoid from an ignition relay. How does this happen? They don't teach basic troubleshooting practices, or you got a kid riding daddy's nickel to get some kind of certificate or degree without interest in progression.

Both times "old hands" stepped in, diagnosed the problem correctly and proper repairs were facilitated.

Of course the owner's were kept oblivious to this and paid for pump rebuilds and the correct repair parts also.

Knowledge is Power as they say and much of today's youth just ain't got it.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
If I’m not mistaken you live in an area similar to myself with steep mountain grades. When you load any truck to max gvw and head up a 10, 15, 20% grade your going to be crawling. There is a couple big hills on the highway here that the semi’s pull at about 20mph when fully loaded, my old 190hp diesel medium duties pull it at about 10mph loaded to max. Sure it is somewhat slower but also gets exceptionally good fuel economy, if it takes me a few extra minutes to get somewhere so be it.

With all that being said, there are usually a plethora of engine and transmission choices in class 6 and larger trucks. Depending on the application the original purchaser may have been going fo cheapest upfront cost or best fuel economy when they originally ordered a truck. When a guy like you or I come along and buy it used sometimes you have to take what you can get. I’m amazed at how many Ford medium duty trucks durring the 90’s were ordered with a 5.9l cummins. I’m sure it was largely based on the engines reputation more than anything, thats a tiny peanut of an engine for a MDT in my opinion.
True & true, on all but fuel economy. Last truck was horrible on gas. Route 7 lies reasonably level along the bottom of the valley. On trips to haul equipment or loads I'd see about 6 MPG. Anywhere else in southern VT it's uphill or down, 3 was more likely. Diesel fuel costs more, but I use less than half with the newer truck.

1693TA

Occupation
Entering home stretch. Last 200 acres. Will go till after dark for elevator closure, and then get grain on wheels for the overnight hours. This will deliver shortly after first light. Going very well with consistent steady pace.

Been about 1000 acres a week all inclusive of beans, and corn. Had some very good days for cutting beans citing the lack of rain. Cousin feels it's been a bountiful harvest and hopefully the markets respond accordingly.

1693TA

Occupation
The 366 was well suited for the medium duty line at the time. More low end torque than the 350 and better economy, (barely) than the 427, or 454. Good fit in farm trucks and school buses.

1693TA

Occupation
Neighbor had combine engine trouble today with just over 150 acres left to his harvest. His property adjoins the field we are working now so we will pick his corn and dump into his wagons, or haul to the elevator for him.