• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Harvest in full swing:

colson04

160 acres finished so far.

20231003_142308.jpg

This is the one of the two trucks I'm driving this fall.
1993 GMC/White/Volvo/ whatever. Its clean, runs well, most of the time. Dash is junk.

3406 Cat, Eaton 9 speed, air ride. Handles well, lots of power. I wish we had an aluminum double bottom for this truck, as it is heavy with the steel single bottom, and doesn't haul as much as it could. My one, full load to the elevator today grossed 66,200 pounds, 640 bushel of beans.
20231003_122818.jpg

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Down to the last 72 acres of beans remaining. That bin I was filling is right to the upper support ring so full. Moved onto the next field and I got two loads into the elevator before closure but trucks are loaded to start tomorrow. Should finish beans tomorrow and switch back to corn. Still 1280 acres of corn standing.

Forgot to ask total acreage planted and ratio of beans to corn.

1693TA

Occupation
1590 in corn, and 1360 in beans this year. Lots of dirt with the beans it's been so dry but that is good for flow through the combine. They still get "leathery" just after sunset so attempting to maximize harvest during the daylight hours. Going good today but weather is changing as front moves into the area. Finish beans and rainout tomorrow would be perfect as all could use a rest.

Talked to second cousin who was scale master this morning at the elevator we are using today. She says most of the field to elevator farmers utilize steel trailers where the commercial truckers that transport grain from the elevator to processing plants all run aluminum from her observations. Makes sense to me as transporters are not allowed the farmer "overage" allowance which is 10% without penalty if loading in field and transporting straight to elevator, or bin.

1693TA

Occupation
Friend purchased for me 8 Bridgeston M726EL drive tires in 285/24.5 that are about, or a little better that 50%. Original purchaser is going to be running into AK this winter and wanted open shoulder tires. Never any flats, or compromises to these tire which were new in 2021. He was offered $75.00 each for the casings so that is what I'm giving for them and they come with the four used "Centrimatic" balancers also. These will go onto my hopper trailer as the size is on there now, but it's not been pulled since 2014 and tires are retreads so no idea to condition. These will at least get me started.

1693TA

Occupation
Possibly rained out today. Rained pretty heavy in the overnight hours so at least delayed. Trucks are loaded and tarps rolled closed so when the call comes we'll get back at it.

1693TA

Occupation
We are rained out for today. Son, and grand daughters are driving down to visit after school this afternoon through the weekend along with wife so no need to travel home. I'm currently residing in my mother in law's basement as have graduated up from the storage shed in the back yard.

Pictures of the tires purchased for me:

30531505275303.jpeg30531505302726.jpeg30531505310231.jpeg30531505324262.jpeg

I'm told there is a ninth matching tire included that is virtually new but needs either sectioned, or booted. Given the miles the owner ran it was replaced rather than repaired. Will make a good spare regardless in my usage.

1693TA

Occupation
Little bit of equipment maintenance going on in the background of combine, and chase wagon along with chase cart. Primary truck driver has trouble with night vision so we picked up her a pair of LED conversion headlamps and I installed them this morning. They are much brighter than the original halogen sealed beam bulbs. I went the extra money to have glass lenses so they don't dull, or haze over time. Only took a short video and I don't know how to take a snapshot to save in format the site will accept for posting.

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
Finished up a field this morning of corn and have moved to the next 50 acre field down the road. Averaging about 13.5 acres per hour so far. Machines are all working as most well oiled machines do and performing admirably.

colson04

We got over 2" of rain yesterday, and more again today. Supposed to rain through the weekend here. Combine is parked and staying parked until next week. We don't have an easy set up to switch between bean storage and corn storage so we try to finish our beans before switching all of the augers over.

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
here in Nova scotia it been a tough year to be a Farmer my family are chopping corn at present and beans are ready quite a lot of beans ruined due to earlier flooding. silage was hard to get too as it was such a wet summer here big storm supposed to hit us tomorrow more wind and rain

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
@1693TA and @colson04 thank you for sharing the harvest pics!

All I know is construction and demolition so it's pretty damn interesting reading about big farm work. Keep it coming and keep us fed!

1693TA

Occupation
I too find it interesting and very varied in nature. Lot of fun on top of that.

Elevator called cousin this afternoon late to tell him they planned to close early. Hence, we did not get the 50 acre plot completed. Trucks are loaded for tomorrow first off and we will complete this field and start the next. So many different varieties and hybrids of corn to adjust maturity dates, but I don't know what was planted where.

We have one 8000 bushel bin to fill and that could be tomorrow as it is close and the auger is set up for it now. I assume it will be me filling the bin again as nephew will be in the fields chisel plowing and cultivating a rye cover crop for the winter months.

Hope to be finishing up by next weekend as it's really going well so far.

1693TA

Occupation
I've never been around John Deere equipment myself. However, I've never really been around Farms other than repairing broken equipment. There is a shitload of general knowledge that comes into play to make everything work smoothly.

The bin I'm filling now will go to keep these guys fed so they can feed us later:

20231007_111931.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
Well my "Bin Boy" job ended last evening with the filling of that last bin so back off to the fields we go.

Blew a 1" hydrostatic drive motor hose on the combine just as winding up for the day and man did that thing dump some oil quickly. Cousin called the dealership owner on his cell phone and was told there is a replacement pair at another of his dealerships and he's already told the parts guy to head in and set them in the after hours pick up box. 2nd cousin that is the in house mechanic picked them up and installed the pair in the overnight hours so we could be back in the fields as soon as the elevator opened. Went like clockwork and all back to normal.

1693TA

Occupation
hope the had a few buckets of oil too! keep er going boys!!
There a couple new barrels in his shop. They set one in the back of his pickup along with a pneumatic barrel pump, air compressor, and small generator.

We've been going at it since noon. I was the first across the scale and dump pit today.