• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ultra mini excavator

Coastal

For me it would be better than a trencher because you can dig holes as opposed to just trenches. I could build a 24" wide cleanup bucket for it and do some grading between houses, or maybe even build a mini hydraulic tilt bucket! Most of the new houses here have 4' side yards, or 8' between foundations, but they throw window wells in for the basement windows, so it makes it nearly impossible to get any conventional sized minis in to grade out between the houses, or get in the back yard.

I can dig small ponds with it in tight backyards (ponds were a former specialty of my company) And like Hafast posted, a little thumb would be killer for moving around rocks that are too heavy for 1 guy to lug around. Hmmmmm what else...oh ya! Concrete breaker would be nice for interiors or super tight side yard access when a rear patio needs to be broken up. Thats what I got off the top of my head.

:thumbsup

greywynd

For me it would be better than a trencher because you can dig holes as opposed to just trenches. I could build a 24" wide cleanup bucket for it and do some grading between houses, or maybe even build a mini hydraulic tilt bucket! Most of the new houses here have 4' side yards, or 8' between foundations, but they throw window wells in for the basement windows, so it makes it nearly impossible to get any conventional sized minis in to grade out between the houses, or get in the back yard.

I can dig small ponds with it in tight backyards (ponds were a former specialty of my company) And like Hafast posted, a little thumb would be killer for moving around rocks that are too heavy for 1 guy to lug around. Hmmmmm what else...oh ya! Concrete breaker would be nice for interiors or super tight side yard access when a rear patio needs to be broken up. Thats what I got off the top of my head.

Coastal, This is a lot of the work that I'm doing with my machine. Mine (Hitachi UE-12) is an older excavator, but because it's a conventional swing, the track width is still narrow at 39" for a 4400lb machine. If a builder knows, I can get it in through a rough door opening for a 36" door. If they can leave the jack studs out temporarily it's lots of room to get through. (Often these are walk out basements and may also have an opening for a double door or sliding patio door too.)

I do a lot of sono tube holes for the builders for decks, I have a few that I work for fairly regularly, and if they have it all laid out in advance, I find I can dig the hole (mimimum 4' for frost here), install the tube, and backfill it within 15-20 minutes. This is with the builder or a helper to hold the tube plumb, and check it with a level for same.

A lot of the subdivisions here are about 8' between houses, but then when there's any services (often this is where they put the outdoor portion of the AC), it becomes pretty tight in a hurry. I have a "5' requirement" for equipment.....if it's over 5' wide, I'm not interested for the work I do, it's simply too big.

Another type of work I do is prep work for patios, either ones that I'm installing, or sometimes for either the homeowner or landscape contractor. Also stone retaining walls in limited access areas like backyards are another type of work I do. (There's where the thumb comes in nice, but that's on my list of projects to build still.)

Mark

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
You tend to end up with "ideal size machine syndrome" if you think about it to much. We have 4000lb, 6600lb and 12000lb excavators available and some thought goes into which machine is best for the job. Makes we wonder what we did when we only had one excavator:confused: .

One of our guys owns a Cat 301.8 with the track widen/narrow thingy and what greywynd is talking about we do often. The ROPS come off with 4 bolts and we walk it through a door or garage, chuck the ROPS back on get stuck in. I have a job I am quoting on at the moment which has 4' for us to get an excavator past an inground trampoline.

Size does matter you know but it also depends a lot on the operator:rolleyes:...well thats my storey and I'm sticking to it.:yup

haF.AST

Occupation
owner/operator
Coastal, you could use your kx161 or t300 to lower it into the basements. I have some associates that have done that for me in a few situations with the same 2 machines. Both easily lift 2000#.
I also built a 24" cleanout bucket. Works great for sidewalk/patio area excavations. The thumb is a must! Look at the previous posts to see mine. I used the top link from a tractor 3 point hitch to brace mine and 3/4" steel for the thumb itself. I pick up rocks and stumps that my skid loader will not lift, approx 1000#.

Coastal

Good replies! Thanks!

I had thought about lowering it with the 161, infact I will test it out today as I still have the little machine on demo. Can you get some close ups of your thumb?

I guess I am a compact machine junkie....i would have one of every size if I could afford it...lol

:bouncegri

haF.AST

Occupation
owner/operator
thumb pics

Here's some thumb pics.

I used 3/4" plate torch cut & ground to shape. The pins are 3/4" with some litch pins to hold in place. The blue brace is a top link for a tractor 3 point hitch I bought at tractor supply for around $31. I had a buddy at a tool shop make the triangle mounts from 1/2" plate and welded them to 1/4" angle iron to wrap the boom. I didn't want to weld to the stick because of the breaker, so I used the bolts that hold the cylinder in, just got longer ones. Been in use for over a year with NO problems.

Attachments

• thumb 1.jpg
    thumb 1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,746
  • thumb 2.jpg
    thumb 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,762
  • thumb 3.jpg
    thumb 3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,750

haF.AST

Occupation
owner/operator
24" bucket

More Pics...

Here's a shot of my huge 24" bucket. I welded a piece of hardox on for a cutting edge. The bucket itself is 3/16" cold rolled steel. Mounts are 1/2" plate. I need to come up with some bushings or something in the mounting holes. I get a little wiggle like it is a 30 yr old bucket!

Attachments

• 24 bucket.jpg
    24 bucket.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,745

Coastal

Thanks very much! if I buy this thing i will definitely be making both of those.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
haF.AST, is your pitch bar still adjustable or is it welded now?

Coastal

A little update on my ultra mini, I ended up buying that kubota I posted a picture of. I can NOT believe the response ive had with it, im getting $60 an hour for it, nobody has complained or even questioned the rate. I did a mailer to the landscape association members and have two "large" for that machine jobs that will be in excess of 3 days each within in a week of the ad going out. People stop at my jobsights, ask for cards...I love it!

Its really amazing the amount of work they will do...I should take some pics of the job i have it on now. ;)

haF.AST

Occupation
owner/operator
Good for you!

Make sure to raise the rate for jobs that "only you can do". I have been getting $100 an hour for the last couple I did and people have had NO problem with it.

Right now, I have 37 jobs on paper to do around the "cooperating" weather...must not be too high!

OKYLE

Wow that things great! You could use it to plant bulbs, and do weeding.

it looks like it would be great for planting seedling tree's etc! really looks fun!

God dang this thread! Now i want to pick one of these things up!

edit---

lol... to be truthful, before i read this thread, I always laughed at these types of machines, never could think of where they would be useful, when a larger machine could do the job faster etc....

Now i know, they can do everything, hammer, digging in tight spots its sick now that i think of it, Could have used one of these on my last 3 jobs, instead, i had laborers digging by hand.

Last edited:

totalloser

Occupation
Groundwork/Fabrication
ROPS ROPS ROPS YOU DON'T WANT TO DIE!

The great thing about a little machine is it can do the big stuff (usually) it just takes longer. But when you gotta get in someone's backyard, or across their flower garden, a little machine like that on planks is pretty cool.

But get a rollbar! My buddy flipped his when a ramp scooted out getting off the trailer. I think his ROPS may have saved his life. The #1 killer of tractor operators used to be squashes by rollovers. Hence the law for ROPS. I know for farm tractors they are required by law.

haF.AST

Occupation
owner/operator
The problem is, you can't fit in alot of areas with it on. The factory ROPS is 8' tall!!!

I have it, and put it on and off as needed. It's only 4 bolts.

Thanks for looking out for me.