• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ultra mini excavator

haF.AST

Occupation
owner/operator
4'11" is the max dig depth yes, but I do alot of utility trenching at 3'+. The little guy isn't much slower than a big hoe and it digs really well(better than anyone has thought it would so far). I feel a little more hampered by the shorter reach (less than 10') than the dig depth.

As far as the hammer...:crying

I have 3 jobs for it but the contractors keep putting them off, and I haven't felt like tearing up my driveway to try it!!!:) :) :) :)

Pics WILL be posted when it happens:thumbsup

itsgottobegreen

haF.AST said:
I haven't felt like tearing up my driveway to try it!!!:) :) :) :)

Pics WILL be posted when it happens:thumbsup
AWWW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You didn't like that driveway anyways. :rolleyes: Could always tear up, say a non payee driveway.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
check out the PC01-1 pdf halfway down the page)

I ran one that size for a day! Put a couple of planks down and walked it right into the back of the pickup truck to get it back and forth. Flipped it on its side once--grabbed it by the boom and set it back upright...

Great little machine..... Here is something that would be a perfect match for your little excavator..... and in many cases would be a better combo than a little skid steer. Komatsu CD10R-1. It is a lot less destructive to load directly than to scoop with a little skid steer in sensative areas or indoors. You can drive it right into a dump trailer or truck with a set of ramps! I have a bigger one I use with my PC35R-8 and I love it!

Lance

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
That's a slick little machine, and could really come in handy. I've never actually seen one around here. There are however a few of the large tracked dumps here, and they will go anywhere!

bigHD

That is a great little machine. It looks extremely useful and it also looks like a blast to operate. Nice looking GMC too! :notworthy

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
mini excavators.

We have a variety of mini's where I work at an equipment rental company.
Starting with a 301.5 (all Cat), 303, 305, 307 and so on up to normal sizes.
We rented a 303 the other day, I changed from bucket to hydro hammer in minutes for the customer to jackhammer down 5 feet for a gravesite that was all ledge a foot below surface.:Banghead
You can carry the bucket off a 301 and 303 around in one hand, if you're stout enough.They also have diverter valves to change from Cat to JD pattern. These machines are constantly rented; homeowners and contractors love 'em. You figure, every bucketfull on that 301.5 is equivalent to a dozen or more with the old P&H (pine handle)...and with a hammer it beats holding a 90 lb. compressor driven one all day long. For somewhere around $150.00/day on up, these little irons serve a good purpose!

haF.AST

Occupation
owner/operator
pictures

I haven't been able to get any more pictures of it working because I do all of my work alone:crying
As far as the machine goes, I love it! I just did a job inside a blockbuster video store. The plumber held open the door and I crawled in, jackhammered the floor and dug 40' of trench for him. Swore he'd never pick up a shovel again! I have never got less the $75 per hour for the little guy, usually I get around $100.

I do a little "weeding" around the house for the wife to be, move some shrubs, etc...

I had a contractor use a hand jackhammer to break a 10'x12'x6" pad and it took all day...I did the other 3 pads in 3 HOURS!

I just have to watch what I get into and not bite off more than I can chew.

Coastal

Well after reading this thread, I happened upon this little gem. Its a Kubota K008, its got 1200 hours on it and its selling for $10,900 CDN. Im just demo'ing it for a few days. It doesnt seem to dig that well, but the bucket is totally worn out the teeth are just little nubs. Its a fun little machine, its got expandable tracks to 34".

I dont know if i could get $75 an hour for it though......we will see!

Attachments

• miniminiex.jpg
    miniminiex.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 4,253
Last edited:

greywynd

Coastal,

You'll learn quickly enough with small machines that it's a different marketplace. After doing in an hour or two what takes a day or more with a shovel, most contractors, plumbers, builders and the like will retire the shovel and gladly pay 50, 60, 75/hour for these machines. Also, same as a large machine (in some ways more important) is to charge a minimum, which in my case also usually covers travel time to and from the site. (I charge a 3 hour minimum, and most of my travel is less than half hour each way.)

If you plan ahead, I schedule a batch of small jobs for the same day, charging each the minimum, often you will make a good dollar that day because often two or three people will be paying you at the same time. :bouncegri :eek:

Mark

Coastal

Thanks Mark,

I guess my other machines are considered small machines too, I have a Kubota kx161 and a bobcat t-300, but I can totally see what you are saying about getting them to retire the shovel with this lil thing. If I can figure out a way to get it into a basement....a plumber friend of mine will get me to do all of his work that is now shovel work on new houses.

Also I have a neighbourhood where I am "the guy" with the mini excavator with about 35 houses im working on as they are built, and my 161 at 84" wide is just too big to fit down some of the sideyards. I think I can make it work!

imjustdave

how is this better then an trencher? looks to be a good idea, but I have no experiance in the really small stuff, most homes around here just have crawl spaces, so no basements, and if I was a plumber with a long run I would assume they would just use a treancher maybe im wrong. Thanks for sharing :)