• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex-2003-860 Backhoe -TurboCharger Problem?

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
ok i had the same problem with a cummins in a ottawa yard jockey every time it was fuel up above half a tank it would seep fuel out of tank i finally saw after serviceing it there was no oil cap there just a quick fix screw in plug you know the unscrew old freeze plug types ....these older engines need to breathe aka oil cap had a vent hole.. the fuel return is though the head rail and back to tank ...new diesels have a blow pipe turned down to oil pan

DoubleNickel

OK: This engine has a thermostart at the bottom end of the right side of the intake manifold (on the right side when in the seat) to heat the fuel. The injector pump is on the left side of the engine when sitting in the seat with 4 injectors pipes coming out.

I talked to the dealer mechanic and he only ran into a problem like this on a diesel truck which presserized that trucks tank. I didn't have much time to talk so I didn't get any answers. Something about the exhaust stroke, I really couldn't get it. He really didn't have an answer.

Where are the injectors that go to the cylinders? Dumb question, but this is the first for me. There is only to pipes that go to the intake manifold. The thermostart on the bottom end and another pipe just above it.

I'm out there in the dark now. Didn't have time to look during the day.

I'm gonna order a Perkins Shop Manual tomarrow. I just got the Engine serial number.

DoubleNickel

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've got to go down the street to p-u my grandaughter, I'll get back to you in a couple of minutes.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Where are the injectors that go to the cylinders? Dumb question, but this is the first for me.DoubleNickel

The only dumb question is a question you don't ask. :)
It's fairly obvious your not well knowledged with engines, but that's OK, hang around and we'll teach an RN a little something about machines. ;)

When you said you have a "thermostart", that answered my question. Here's what I want you to do; disconnect the fuel line connection and the electrical connection to the thermostart on the intake. Now you have to figure out a way to plug or cap that fuel line you disconnected because it could leak fuel while your running the engine, you have to do this. Once you've done this, run the machine and see if it makes a change.

DoubleNickel

OK: Will do tomarrow. Plug the manifold and cap the line and disconnect the thermostat? I'll find the parts somewhere.

I look at it this way. $200 for a manual, is money in the bank if we can fix it ourselves:D

The machanic doesn't think I harmed the engine, since I got my power back with the cap off and since it's been this way for a year or so. That's prob 100 hours or so ago. I really don't know when it started. That was a relief to hear.:D

RN means Really Nuts:lmao

DoubleNickel

What I mean is, by getting the manual is like money in the bank as I will not have to pay for a service guy and it will also guide me thru other problems if they arise. Maybe.

DoubleNickel

Forgot To Tell You

Last summer while I was on vacation. Someone jumped in the tractor and leaving the key on the floor, it was in the ignition and on for who knows. Could have been a week. I have double batterys and they were almost dead. Oboy, forgots to tell ya:crying It wasn't driven though.

bill onthehill

Wild shot in the dark here. Could you have an injector hanging up and letting compression back to the tank through a return line? Have you ever pulled the injectors?

DoubleNickel

Could you have an injector hanging up and letting compression back to the tank through a return line?

ATCOEQUIP: This is what the the dealer mechanic was talking about. Thanks, BillOnTheHill:notworthy

Nope, never touched them yet. Diesel is new to me, but I am learning more as we talk about this problem. I'm getting a little more familiar with the engine. (where things are)

I didn't get to the thermostart today as it was pouring out:crying Tomarrow the weather will be better:)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wild shot in the dark here. Could you have an injector hanging up and letting compression back to the tank through a return line? Have you ever pulled the injectors?

I appears you may be on the same trail I am bill onthehill. I've never seen this on a machine before, but I've tried to figure out what would pressurize the tank as quickly as doublenickle describes. I can only come up with two logical possiblities; 1) compression from cylinders through a faulty injector, or 2) thermostart malfunction. I have considered an injector, but it seems if compression went "back through" an injector, it would at least interupt that injector temporarily, creating a miss. He hasn't complained of missing or rough running engine, just loss of power. Also, in one post he said he let it run at idle for 20 minutes, no problem, no pressure. But when he hit the road, meaning running/load rpm, here came the pressure. It seems, again, a faulty injector would fail at all rpm's, but I can't say that for sure. But there's one instance when there is no pressure at low rpm, and pressure at high rpm; turbo boost on the intake manifold. And there's one component in the intake manifold that's connected to the fuel system as well; the Perkins thermostart. I have never seen one do this before, but it's the most logical cause of the problem I have come up with to this point. If it's not the culprit...I'm going to have to go back to head scratchin' again. :D

DoubleNickel

OK: Your standing on the right side of the tractor looking at the intake manifold. On the right end of the manifold is a bottom Line (thermostart) which goes to the top of the injector pump, which says AIR IN.

Just above the thermostart is the other fuel line which goes to the side of fuel filter. (so this line coming from the filter has a arrow which indicates the fuel is going to the intake manifold, above the thermostart line)

Yup, engine never skips a beat, only a knocking sound under load when the tank is pressurized, like pre-ignition. No knocking when cap is off.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
OK: Your standing on the right side of the tractor looking at the intake manifold. On the right end of the manifold is a bottom Line (thermostart) which goes to the top of the injector pump, which says AIR IN.

Just above the thermostart is the other fuel line which goes to the side of fuel filter. (so this line coming from the filter has a arrow which indicates the fuel is going to the intake manifold, above the thermostart line)

Yup, engine never skips a beat, only a knocking sound under load when the tank is pressurized, like pre-ignition. No knocking when cap is off.

I haven't worked on your particular Perkins engine, so I'm not up to speed on all it's components. The Thermostart will have a fuel line connection and an electrical connection to it, it will look like this:

Perkins Thermostart.jpg

I'm thinking of disconnecting the fuel line and electrical connection to it, somehow "cap/plug" the fuel line that was connected to it, remove the thermostart from the intake manifold, and plug the hole left in the manifold, then see what happens. You also present another possiblity here; that other line that you mention that runs from the intake manifold to the injection pump which says "Air In". Hmm, sounds like a line that controls fuel rate of injection pump by sensing amount of turbo boost, and...another "line" that connects turbo boost pressure to fuel system. Another possiblity to look at. Let's eleminate the thermostart first, then move on if necessary. ;)

DoubleNickel

Yup: I got what you mean. I just went back out to recheck what I said and yes, thermostart goes to the very top of the pump which indicates an arrow pointing into the pump and the word "air" in the middle of the arrow.

Yup, the other line comes from the fuel filter (#4 line-arrow out, to just above the thermostart), as there are 4 lines, 2 in and 2 out, numbers 1 to 4 on the side of the fuel filter) Then on top of the fuel filter there is a "t" with 3 lines going into the top of the fuel filter.

If you can understand that?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yup: I got what you mean. I just went back out to recheck what I said and yes, thermostart goes to the very top of the pump which indicates an arrow pointing into the pump and the word "air" in the middle of the arrow.

Yup, the other line comes from the fuel filter (#4 line-arrow out, to just above the thermostart), as there are 4 lines, 2 in and 2 out, numbers 1 to 4 on the side of the fuel filter) Then on top of the fuel filter there is a "t" with 3 lines going into the top of the fuel filter.

If you can understand that?

I dunno, it's too easy to muddy things up with descriptions. I can only put it as simple as I can in an attempt to avoid confusion, which I desire to avoid. The Thermostart will have a fuel line connection as well as an electric wire connected to it. If you have found a component on the intake system that has a fuel line and a wire connected to it, you've found the Thermostart. :)

DoubleNickel

Yes, I understand, and will remove the thermostart and cap them tomarrow. ah, try to cap them if I can find the caps and plugs. English used to be witworth measurments:eek: but I believe it's all metric now.

DoubleNickel

:my2c​
Ok: Here is what happened today. The farmer down by the big hill asked me why I was going up and down the hill? I told him the story and he was also interested. He said he was going to his tractor dealership (this was 2 days ago). He gots biggie tractors.

He stopped this morning and told me what they thought it could be and what to do. They recommended to put a hose on the returning side to the tank and put the hose into a bucket and see how much air is returning to the bucket with the return fuel. (I just got a idea, just drain it back into the tank spout and watch the air and the fuel)

They think also it's a injector hanging up and allowing backpressure to pressurize the tank. ATCOEQUIP and bill onthehill already know this, but the more feedback the better, right?

ATCOEQUIP: I did not do what I was gonna do today. I used the tractor for 4 hours and man it gots digging power. I tied a rag over the fuel spout. I was running the air conditioner (fumes were getting the cab) and had to stop and open the back door window. Even at that, the cab was smelling from the fumes. At the end of the job I think I was hearing knocking again. I don't know maybe that's just in my head.

My farmer friend suggested doing the return fuel test first, then suggested to put cleaner in the fuel for awhile to see if that clears it up before attempting injector problem (and which injector is it? can't get to them without taking the muffler out and a couple of other things) That was his suggestion anyways. He says he always puts the cleaner in his tractors at every fillup.

ATCOEQUIP: I know what you want me to do and your thinking is first on the list, so who do I listen to (I know everybody) I don't wanna walk on toes. We're all in this together. Right?

I also put my ear to the spout and could hear the fuel trickling back in.:D