• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Terex-2003-860 Backhoe -TurboCharger Problem?

DoubleNickel

OK: I'm going out to start it and let it run for 15 minutes to see if it builds pressure. Might be just the fuel sloshing around in there making pressure.
If no pressure, I'll drive it around and slosh the fuel and then take the cap off to see if there is pressure.
I talked to the dealer mechanic today. He says he doesn't think there is a screen in there also. He said that would make no sense, but he never physically took one apart, so he wasn't sure. He scratched his head about the tank pressure. Never heard of that much pressure in a tank.
I go out to start it now, first open and replace the cap. I Report back soon.

RenoF250

The fitting on the right side of the pump in your link could have a screen in it, have you looked in there? Quadrajet carbs had a similar fitting with screen.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The fitting on the right side of the pump in your link could have a screen in it, have you looked in there? Quadrajet carbs had a similar fitting with screen.

Yeah, I've seen banjo bolt fittings have a plastic screen inside the bolt. Hitachi uses on the EX100-2 and the EX120-2 excavators, and I've seen them on some Cat engines. I'm not sure about this engine.

DoubleNickel

OK: Tractor ran for 20 minutes standing still. No pressure in tank. Drove down back in da woods (saw no bears) bounced it about a bit. Drove it out on the road fast. Was running good, with all my lights on the exhaust looked normal black when gunning it. Then after a bit, it seemed to lose some power, about 20 minutes of raming around. Came back. Stopped, shut everything down, as i was approching the fuel cap I could hear it really pushing out the pressure. Undid the cap and pow. There is a lot of pressure. WOW:eek: Just doesn't seem normal. Never seen that much pressure in any fuel tank. hmm

DoubleNickel

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
OK: Tractor ran for 20 minutes standing still. No pressure in tank. Drove down back in da woods (saw no bears) bounced it about a bit. Drove it out on the road fast. Was running good, with all my lights on the exhaust looked normal black when gunning it. Then after a bit, it seemed to lose some power, about 20 minutes of raming around. Came back. Stopped, shut everything down, as i was approching the fuel cap I could hear it really pushing out the pressure. Undid the cap and pow. There is a lot of pressure. WOW:eek: Just doesn't seem normal. Never seen that much pressure in any fuel tank. hmm

DoubleNickel

Man, there's something not right with this. You've got something I've never experienced before, this is going to be fun to figure this out! Let's noodle this for a moment. You have a tank full of fuel. Imagine the tank has no vent, cap or otherwise. You run the engine, which uses up fuel in the tank. If fuel is "going down" in tank from useage, it has to be replaced by air by venting, otherwise the tank would collapse. Right? Where the hell is pressure coming from? It would seem if "suction side" of fuel were restricted that it couldn't possibly pressurize the tank via fuel return line, i.e., how can the fuel return add more "volume" of anything to tank more than it is being "supplied" by fuel supply system? Am I missing something here??? :confused:

DoubleNickel

Ok, the tank is half full. What I should do next is put the cap on loosly so the pressure can get out. I can't run it now as the neighbors will be up in the air, but that will be a good look for tomarrow. Maybe the power won't drop when there's no pressure in the tank. Remember there was no pressure after idling for 25 minutes. Got me!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok, the tank is half full. What I should do next is put the cap on loosly so the pressure can get out. I can't run it now as the neighbors will be up in the air, but that will be a good look for tomarrow. Maybe the power won't drop when there's no pressure in the tank. Remember there was no pressure after idling for 25 minutes. Got me!!

Hey, go for it! I've thought about running it with the cap loose and see if it fixes the engine stalling problem, that would be great. Run the machine with the cap tight until it begins to stall. Right then, relieve the pressure on the tank and leave the cap loose. Run the machine and see if there is an immediate change. Problem is, though, if this fixes the engine stall problem we still don't know what's causing the problem! :Banghead But it's still good info to know and maybe it will lead us to the gremlin here. ;)

DoubleNickel

Yup, good idea, I'll run it down the road a mile and a half, then I hit the big hill. I start going up the hill and when I feel the machine lose power, I'll jump out (stop first), undo the cap, get the pow, as it will be there. Then gun it up the hill to see if the power came back. Sounds like a plan:thumbsup

How in the world can sloshing create pressure, can't be, heat will give you some pressure from expansion but not like this. Pressure coming from some where:idontgetit

DoubleNickel

ATCOEQUIP: The stalling stopped when I cleaned the filter, then replaced it with a new one. Now I just lose power after awhile and have this tank pressure problem. This is, strange:dizzy

But we get to da bottom of it, maybe!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
ATCOEQUIP: The stalling stopped when I cleaned the filter, then replaced it with a new one. Now I just lose power after awhile and have this tank pressure problem. This is, strange:dizzy

But we get to da bottom of it, maybe!!

Like I said; you've got a problem I haven't seen before, this is going to be a ride to figure this one out! :D

DoubleNickel

OK: I get up said to myself, self, well I changed the primary filter so I will check the secondary filter. Took it out and put up to the light and compared it. Yup it was a little dirty, so I replaced it. Made no differance. Now for the real story.

HOLY COW
Huston "We Have A Problem"
:eek:

First I checked the tank for pressure, none. Started machine. Started driving down to the hill, felt loosing power, stopped and unscrewed the cap and pow, it was giving off gas vapors. I could see immediate engine relief, RPM's came up a little, so I screwded the cap on lightly and proceded to the hill. Got to the hill, it went up better. Turned around came back to the house and felt it loosing power. Got out, unscrewed and pow, pressure and gas vapers. It was on just a little bit. So I left it off. Started driving and finally felt I had my tractor back. The filler I can see through the window steaming fuel vapers as I am driving. Went back to the hill. Zip, right up in fourth gear. Very slow, but the RPM's stayed up. I never run it like that but wanted to see what happens. I gots the power back.

But its got some major or simple problem. Somehow pressure is getting back to the tank and I really don't know how long this has been going on. I would say it started last summer sometime, no wait, I was digging 2 years ago and noticed hearing the pressure from the cap. So this has slowly been happening for some time.

The fuel tank is half full. The bottom of the tank on the outside is cold, but feeling up a ways, it gets a little warmer, not much. hmm

So there we have it. At least we got this far. There's gotta be a valve sticking open or closed somewhere. I am happy we have gotten to this point. I don't think I hurt the engine:D Hope not.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
DoubleNickle, what kind of preheat system does the engine use? I don't know about your engine, but most of the Perkins I've worked on don't use glow plugs in the cylinders. Instead, they use a fuel preheater in the intake piping. It screws into the piping prior to the intake manifold, it has an electrical connection to it and a fuel line connected to it. I'm curious, see what your engine has?

DoubleNickel

Hi: I just got home. I' looking thru the parts manual. I don't have the Perkins engine shop manual, (I got two others for the trans and powershuttle) so maybe I will take some pictures of what your talking about and post them. What are you thinking about the glow plugs verses the fuel preheater. I think the turbo is working as when I shut it down, I can here it spinning a little.
Whats your bottom thoughts? This thing gots any hope?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
What are you thinking about the glow plugs verses the fuel preheater.

It's not what I'm thinking as much as it's this little voice in my head that talks to me...:D It's just a theory at the moment, but it all depends on if you have the intake preheater with a fuel line connected to it and not glow plugs in cylinders. It's one of those "never seen it before" theories...but I've got a lifetime of "never seen that before!" experiences. It may turn out to be nothing, but, then again... :)

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
John Deere has a problem with fuel pumps on their 6410 series tracots, where the diapram in the injection pump would fail and pressurize the fuel tank. I mean to the extent you could run it down the road for a period of 15 minutes and watch the plastic tank expand. The tractors did it with very low hours.

Could it just be a faulty fuel cap breather not working?:beatsme

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hmm, I gots voices in my head to!!!!!LOL, LOL:falldownlaugh

Yeah, but most of the time that "little voice" is a devil on my shoulder. It will wait 'till I get a hyd cylinder completely re-assembled...THEN it will say "hey dummy, you forgot to tighten the nut that holds the piston on the rod!" :eek: :Banghead