• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
Joe, it would be cheaper to buy a thumb than for me to fabricate one, I would love to build one but the customer would hate the price.

Sorry Tom, I should back up here on having asked about making a custom thumb… First, I should say my John Deere 310c Loader/Backhoe has a Wain Roy quick disconnect hoe bucket. I can't find a web site on Wain-Roy product line, or even knows who sells Wain-Roy. Seems like Wain-Roy has been out of business being I find nothing on line, or am I missing something here thats going on with Wain-Roy? Anyway..., assuming Wain-Roy is no longer what other name do I turn to for looking for a fixed thumb, again to say being that I'm not plumbed for an operational hyd. thumb. thanks Tom for any light you shed on this for me is greatly appreciated, Joe

leisureexpress

joeeye59,
There was a guy who made one for his 310C or D that did not have an extendahoe. He was from Texas and was willing to share his plans. This was about a year ago. Search in the backhoe forum, I'd do it for you but for now I gotta go!

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
joeeye59,
There was a guy who made one for his 310C or D that did not have an extendahoe. He was from Texas and was willing to share his plans. This was about a year ago. Search in the backhoe forum, I'd do it for you but for now I gotta go!

Oh great! yeah I'll go back about a year in the date to look for it, thanks for the lead to look for it....

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe

Nice find Tinker...! thank you...

That looks to be what I need..., now I need to see how its set up and welded in place. It looks like one/two low profile brackets are welded into place on the dipper stick. this should look good when its removed so it don't look awkward, or have something sticking way out when its removed.... this is pretty much what I want to go for... thanks again!

Joe

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wore that bucket pin slap out.

Hey Tom, do you know a source for bucket pins aside from OEM?

truckdoctor

Occupation
mechanic
Hey Tom V I have a few questions about your York boring bar. How well does the York do on larger (6" plus) holes? Cut fairly well without drawing down the bar rpms? I run a Climax and for smaller bores (3-4") it cuts pretty well without slowing down. On bigger holes especially if I have to run a tool holder it will barely hold rpm. The drive motor is a Milwakee two speed mag drill motor. I've thought of changing it over to hydraulic or to a Meco four speed drill motor off a concrete core drill. Secondly do you run a borewelder? I'm running a Boretech/Climax and I love it. I would never go back to handwelding holes if I didn't have to. You do beautiful work. I definitely love the tandem axle Pete. Thats my goal for a service truck, a nice tandem axle with lots of storage.

JDOFMEMI

I can tell you that if you buy non OEM pins, it pays to have the hardness checked. I had a pair of pins on a 375 excavator that one of them wore 1/2" in just 2 weeks, and that was with twice a day greasing. After it was broken, I had it tested for hardness, and I forget the numbers now, buy it was about 8 or 9 points lower than the bushing, instead of several points higher.

The crew failed to accept the pin was going bad, since it was so new. Finally it let the bucket work back and forth side to side until it snapped the eye off of the curl cylinder, since the H link was tight and the main bucket pin was not. That was a costly lesson.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Wore that bucket pin slap out.

Hey Tom, do you know a source for bucket pins aside from OEM?

No Willie, no pin source but I have had them made before, not always cost effective sometimes its best to let the customer supply the parts.

TOM V

Occupation
Hey Tom V I have a few questions about your York boring bar. How well does the York do on larger (6" plus) holes? Cut fairly well without drawing down the bar rpms? I run a Climax and for smaller bores (3-4") it cuts pretty well without slowing down. On bigger holes especially if I have to run a tool holder it will barely hold rpm. The drive motor is a Milwakee two speed mag drill motor. I've thought of changing it over to hydraulic or to a Meco four speed drill motor off a concrete core drill. Secondly do you run a borewelder? I'm running a Boretech/Climax and I love it. I would never go back to handwelding holes if I didn't have to. You do beautiful work. I definitely love the tandem axle Pete. Thats my goal for a service truck, a nice tandem axle with lots of storage.
The york does the job but it does lug down, and I run a BOA-211 borewelder.

paulsoccodato

Charter Member
Occupation
contractor
Hey Tom, Thanks for your time yesterday about the problem with the 490d. I disabled the check valve on the injector pump and it got me going again. Where's a good place to get that pump rebuilt? Thanks again for the help.

TOM V

Occupation
Hey Tom, Thanks for your time yesterday about the problem with the 490d. I disabled the check valve on the injector pump and it got me going again. Where's a good place to get that pump rebuilt? Thanks again for the help.

The fuel shop I have used for 20+ years closed up last year, the last couple I had done I used H & L DIESEL but thats a little far for you, might want to try East Coast Diesel in Lynnbrook, NY. Good luck with it Paul.