• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

jacob64

Occupation
Plant operator (since a was a wee loon)
Just spent the last hour or so reading through this fascinating and educational thread . Tom i'm in awe of your seemingly layed back approached (i maybe wrong :)), your knowledge your workmanship , attention to the smallest details whilst carrying out your daily jobs , be it large or small the same attention to detail is applied and i applaud you for that sir .....:)

I have now subscribed to this thread and look forward to your next posting .

Cheers
Sean

Digger operator for 29 yrs :)
from the Highlands in Scotland UK

Last edited:

BlazinSS934

I'm a fairly good wrench and most of the guys I work with turn to me for mechanical stuff, but you my friend are a god lol. Wish I had a guy like you near me. I would work for free with you for a month or so just to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partsandservice

Tom,
going back to that JD 650H. That appears to the JD cly. with a snap ring on the outside with another in the middle of the gland. I always catch the devil trying to get those apart. I have had to chain between my service truck and the machine and jerk it apart. Even with the plastic ring filling in the grove. Am I missing a trick or special tool? You may be yanking them apart to, but the pics did not show that if you are. This is the first time I have posted on your thread so I will go on and get this out of the way. You do nice work.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Thanks guys, partsand service in regards to the deere cylinder I have only done a few of the late style as pictured, but never an issue removing the gland. No trick or tool, removed outer ring, pushed in gland, clean dirt and rust from bore, install filler ring, lubed and it pulled out fairly easy.

partsandservice

Thanks for the reply Tom V, I work mostly on abused logging equipment. I think a lot of the difficulty I have stems from the clys being overextended and creating a lip in the grove which I remove if it is there. The gland must driven past this ridge in order to remove the ridge and install the filler ring. This where the snatching begins.

TOM V

Occupation
Some from today, a GENESIS 500R blade turn and some welding.
2012-09-12_15-15-03_943.jpg2012-09-12_16-16-15_544.jpg2012-09-13_10-29-41_598.jpg2012-09-13_12-02-02_873.jpg2012-09-13_13-59-23_189.jpg

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Tomv, did you dual shield this welding? I tried this once and could not keep control of the wind and had to do lots of porousity removal and now use cored e71s wire but hate how finicky it is. Any suggestions? I use a trailblazer 302 with a suitcase extreme.............................theironoracle

TOM V

Occupation
Tomv, did you dual shield this welding? I tried this once and could not keep control of the wind and had to do lots of porousity removal and now use cored e71s wire but hate how finicky it is. Any suggestions? I use a trailblazer 302 with a suitcase extreme.............................theironoracle

Yes I used dual shield and wind is the enemy. No suggestions, if it is a small job I'll use 7018, if there's a lot of welding I'll set up the curtians, I've burned alot of dual shield outdoors, guess I've been lucky, not too often do I have to grind any welds out.

TOM V

Occupation
Easy day today, a couple hoses and some broken bolts on the c frame.
2012-09-14_08-50-25_731.jpg2012-09-14_08-50-44_422.jpg2012-09-14_09-28-16_244.jpg2012-09-14_10-42-00_387.jpg

Plant Fitter

Do they operate it without the pin in the centre of the blade? Or have you removed it as part of the repairs?

What size hose did you use? Did it fit under the guards alright where it normally would have steel hydraulic lines?

TozziWelding

Occupation
Welder/Equipment Repair
Yes I used dual shield and wind is the enemy. No suggestions, if it is a small job I'll use 7018, if there's a lot of welding I'll set up the curtians, I've burned alot of dual shield outdoors, guess I've been lucky, not too often do I have to grind any welds out.

Same here, I have been super lucky running Dual Shield outside lately, makes the jobs go by faster and the customers love the look of the finished product.

TOM V

Occupation
Do they operate it without the pin in the centre of the blade? Or have you removed it as part of the repairs?

What size hose did you use? Did it fit under the guards alright where it normally would have steel hydraulic lines?

Yes, they were running it without the pin, not aware the pin was missing until I arrived to repair the hydraulic leak. I used #4 size hose to replace the blown hose, must have been changed over previously.

BobTheWelder

You do great 1st class work Tom, and have very nice service truck and tooling. I'm a field-service welder/machinist currently at Holt Cat in Austin. Been with Cat dealers in TN and TX since 1980. We use Climax tooling including bore welders. Took me a while to warm up to the bore welder (because of set-up time) but use it on 90% of my align-boring jobs now. All of our field welders except one are rigged with boring equipment. I just found and joined the forum today, so look forward to learning and sharing here.

SE-Ia Cowman

Tom,
going back to that JD 650H. That appears to the JD cly. with a snap ring on the outside with another in the middle of the gland. I always catch the devil trying to get those apart. I have had to chain between my service truck and the machine and jerk it apart. Even with the plastic ring filling in the grove. Am I missing a trick or special tool? You may be yanking them apart to, but the pics did not show that if you are. This is the first time I have posted on your thread so I will go on and get this out of the way. You do nice work.

I have worked on a few of those deere cylinders that you are talking about, and have had to pull some apart with the forklift and floor anchors. I found if you have a cylinder that hits the end of the stroke all the time the retaning ring will cause a burr around the snapring groove, I have used a die grinder with a carbide burr and very carefuly worked around the ID to remove it make sure you don't hit the ram with the burr and flush well with solvent when you get it apart to remove any steel from parts. I always cringe when I drive the gland in and don't see a easy to remove snap ring and have to use the stupid filling ring. Steering cylinders on 7000 and 8000 series deere tractors are sure to have a good burr as the cowboys in the seat all ways turn the wheel till it hits the end of stroke or don't adjust there steering stops.

TOM V

Occupation
A few from today, cutting the damaged material out of grading bucket and thumb that had a slight mishap.
2012-09-24_12-26-01_260.jpg2012-09-24_14-40-46_948.jpg2012-09-24_12-26-20_130.jpg

TOM V

Occupation
Finished up bucket and thumb for EC88 this morning.
2012-09-26_07-19-09_635.jpg2012-09-26_07-50-02_101.jpg2012-09-26_07-53-49_529.jpg2012-09-26_08-04-44_709.jpg2012-09-26_08-13-04_217.jpg