• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

ttweld05

Occupation
self employed welder/ heavy equipment repair man
Hello Tom,

Just wondering when you line bore, what are ur tolerances for a press fit bushing and a slip fit pin?

Thanks and great work

Todd

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Todd, for press fits, for every inch in diameter I will give .001" interference or press. For slip fits, for every inch in diameter I will give .001" clearence.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've been meaning to ask you that very question Tom, thanks for the reply. ;)

So if you were going to bore a hole to press in a 2 1/2" OD bushing, you would machine the hole .0025 smaller than the bushing?

ttweld05

Occupation
self employed welder/ heavy equipment repair man
Thank you Tom for the info, Thats pretty much the norm up here in NH too I just got set up about 2 yrs ago and have been boring ever since. Its nice to talk with other people around and get there ideas too. Once again thank you Tom

Todd

StanRAUUS

Per many Cat specs .001” is minimum and .0015”maximum per bore Ø typical Øs 2.5” to 6.5”. Installations via press-fits using the maximum should be considered mandatory, press fitting a last option versus cold shrinking (freezing) using dry ice or nitrogen and even heating the casting. Most bushings have a 32µ surface finish; typical as machined bores 80-120µ - peaks and valleys^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Pressing, the bush will shave off peaks and bend the peaks over into the valleys. Cold shrinking, slipping the bush into the bore after the bush warms up the peaks are spread-flatten out into the valleys via plastic deformation, provides a higher retaining force. Bore weld build up using wire with a bit of nickel alloy also increases the retaining force because the nickel alloy is tough resisting spreading-flattening into the valleys via plastic deformation, provides a higher retaining force.

dirty4fun

Very nice Tom. I will bite what is the blue thing on the shear, with hoses going to it? Did you ever get the correct pins and such for the quick disconnect?

TOM V

Occupation
Very nice Tom. I will bite what is the blue thing on the shear, with hoses going to it? Did you ever get the correct pins and such for the quick disconnect?

The blue thing is a hydraulic torque wrench, the pin is in but the customer is away, hope to put the Volvo together next week.

FSERVICE

tom is that the new shear u put on recently? already time to flip the jaws? shears are sure high maintaince, at least the ones i have been around. good for bussiness tho:)

TOM V

Occupation
tom is that the new shear u put on recently? already time to flip the jaws? shears are sure high maintaince, at least the ones i have been around. good for bussiness tho:)

Yes that is the shear I recently installed, it has about 100 hours on it, needed a blade flip and some welding.

curb guy

Tom, you run a York bore machine, if I'm not mistaken. What kind of bore welder do you you like? I was looking at the York web site and they a pretty nice package with the the welder/ bore machine. Was wondering what your thoughts were on those.I've also seen "bore-tech" and "boa"? any comments would be much appreciated!

WerkBrau

A BIG Werk-Brau bucket being worked on ....it's being cleaned up before heading into paint. We have made larger buckets, but this is the largest I have yet seen. I'm told we once made a bucket that weighed in at 9.5 tons. Either way, big buckets create a bit of buzz around here, and I had to stop in to check out this monster as I made my rounds on the factory floor.

011email.jpg

017email.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Tom, you run a York bore machine, if I'm not mistaken. What kind of bore welder do you you like? I was looking at the York web site and they a pretty nice package with the the welder/ bore machine. Was wondering what your thoughts were on those.I've also seen "bore-tech" and "boa"? any comments would be much appreciated!
We are just in the process of spending about $80k on a Climax B5500 hydraulic drive boring machine and a Climax automatic bore welder with all the bells & whistles. It was after discussions with TomV & RayF (thanks to both of them BTW) of this parish that we finally we settled on Climax. The only other type of hydraulic drive machine I would have considered was Caterpillar's one, but that was even more expensive than the Climax. For the type of work we do, bores up to 15", electric-drive machines are just not man enough for the job IMHO.

TOM V

Occupation

I have the YORK boring machine and a BOA-211. The bore welder is about 15 years old now and has been trouble free, but if I had the cash then I would have bought the bore tech and a Climax BB5000. The York machine has been good also, the largest bore I've done with it was 10". I guess it all depends how much boring you plan on doing, sometimes mine is running 3-4 days a week, sometimes it is sitting for 3-4 months. Good luck.