• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skagit Iron and Steel Works, Sedro Wooley, Washington

tyee33

Occupation
I have been partners in our family owned contract
I have worked around a couple of Bu84s and I am not sure but think they were the upgrade with water brakes over the bu80. I think it held 1600 feet but we had bigger mainline on it. Short yarding pollocking, didn't need much.

tree farmer

Tree Farmer, these appear to be the same unit as that on a PSY200 main pulling clutch. This is the clutch under the cab. One detail is different though. The PSY200 unit has an additional fitting on the top of the cylinder so it is a two way ram. Air pressure is applied to the top to dis engage the clutch. This would be better than broken springs.

It is important that these clutches are adjusted correctly. Does your clutch have an adjustment bolt on the dead end of teh band?

Yes it does have an adjustment bolt opposite the actuator.

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,994
  • DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 1,981

tree farmer

Guyline drag brakes

The shaft and the shoes had become one with the world and bent to boot. A varible speed Sawsall and cutting oil severed the hard shaft. Drilled through for some torch action. Then the remaining pieces almost fall out. The repaired assembly.

Attachments

• DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,874
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,861
  • dragpads.jpg
    dragpads.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,834
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,865
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,880

bitner1970

Occupation
Engineering Tech for a water/sewer district
Anybody got any pics of the cab interior on a 739? I'm building one right now on the SP chassis and need pics of it.

Cheers:

Bill

Born2clearcut

This one lookin alittle better then the one above picture taken in 1996 Vancouver Island

Attachments

• timberwest skagit2sm.jpg
    timberwest skagit2sm.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 1,657
  • timberwest skagit1sm.jpg
    timberwest skagit1sm.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 1,674

Ryan Rønning

Occupation
Army Diesel Tech and field maintenace teck
Not all Skagit yarders on trucks were shop-built, aftermarket, custom contraptions. Skagit did build a few factory truck-mounted yarders.

This MYS-50 was a great example of a small slackline truck-mounted yarder. I'm not sure how many were built, probably 35 or 40 of them. Some were trailer mounted as well. 60' was an option for tower height, and the MY-50 was the highlead version, lacking the skyline drum.

This machine was uded for many years at Enumclaw, Washington by Kelly Kahne Logging. If the name sounds familiar, his son Kasey Kahne races NASCAR now, so Kelly quit logging 5 or so years ago to do the racing gig full time.

The yarder belongs to Mark III Logging (Bart Kilgore) of Longview WA now, and is for sale currently (see My Little Salesman).

Lee Cook Logging at Kelso also had an MYS-50- on an Autocar truck, it was a great little yarder. I have a ton of pics of that machine I'll post eventually.

Funny you posted this photo. My dad currently logs for Mark III

TorkelH

Anybody got any pics of the cab interior on a 739? I'm building one right now on the SP chassis and need pics of it.

Cheers:

Bill

I have been looking through my pictures, I was sure I had a picture of the Basco yarder, but I can't find... It is some parked around in Oregon, I don't know if the 739 SP of Basco still is parked there in Sutherlin along the highway, but that is a very nice machine. Maybe you need to make a trip up there?

Here is link to some pictures of the Basco machine and from a scrapped BU199 cab.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/BU739SP/BU739SP.zip

TorkelH

Skagit 739 cab

Here is some (bad) pictures from a 739 trailer cab, inside and outside. I put the originals and some more in the dropbox. Serial B-739-A102.

Attachments

• SAM_0601sm.jpg
    SAM_0601sm.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,443
  • SAM_0541sm.jpg
    SAM_0541sm.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,481
  • SAM_0596sm.jpg
    SAM_0596sm.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,431
  • SAM_0599sm.jpg
    SAM_0599sm.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,446
  • SAM_0597sm.jpg
    SAM_0597sm.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,440

tree farmer

GT-4 Grapple yarding

After hours of splicing eyes and casting knobs on guyline extensions, the rigging is ready. I will post pictures of a MSP carriage with this machine later. I owe thanks to Murk100 and others who have posted videos showing grapple yarding. It has made the learning curve much shorter.

Attachments

• gt4 dip 010.JPG
    gt4 dip 010.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 1,995
  • gt4 dip 006.JPG
    gt4 dip 006.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 1,994
  • gt4 dip 001.JPG
    gt4 dip 001.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 2,069

TorkelH

Wow, impressive! Are you planning on using grapple a lot, didn't think that was too common in the US? How is speed on the GT4? Try making a video if you get the chance, very interesting to see!

BDFT

Hook one chain on your grapple one link short so one side of the grapple hangs lower than the other. It makes hitting the tree much easier. Especially on flatter ground.

tree farmer

Wow, impressive! Are you planning on using grapple a lot, didn't think that was too common in the US? How is speed on the GT4? Try making a video if you get the chance, very interesting to see!

`I hope to use a much larger grapple where vision/spotters and topography allow. Otherwise I can quickly switch to the MSP and draft a choker setter. Some settings will dictate a shotgun carriage, then the 400 HP turboed and twisted up Cummins 903 with a Twin Disc 5 speed can display some line speed.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Hey Tree Farmer, is it possible to see this machine in person and get some video?

`I hope to use a much larger grapple where vision/spotters and topography allow. Otherwise I can quickly switch to the MSP and draft a choker setter. Some settings will dictate a shotgun carriage, then the 400 HP turboed and twisted up Cummins 903 with a Twin Disc 5 speed can display some line speed.

old scaler

Hi Contract Logger My name is Ed Elliott. I live in Boring Oregon . I make logging models out of Myrtle Wood. I found you site on the Skagit towers and under carriages, lots of information that I can use. I'm looking for information on the Skagit 98 yarder that I will put on the T110 tube , like the drum sizes and any other measurements. Thank you for your help. Ed

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
A few days ago I got to meet up with tree farmer and get some pictures and video. First video has been posted to YouTube, more to follow along with pictures here as I sort thru them. http://youtu.be/vrci279bepM

Thanks again Tree Farmer for allowing me to come up and observe, had a great time!

furpo

Just watched the videos Tree Farmer, you have a neat old machine. It reminds me of the GT3 I worked with. The controls are slightly different.

You were after a few tips. From what I noticed you should try keep your ropes on the drums nicely. Particularly with the grapple having the ropes out of time due to a cross up is a pain. In the low lift stuff I like to do roll closes. If you have the grapple sitting back on the log you hold the slackpuller on the foot brake and go ahead on the main. This snaps the grapple closed while lifting it and pulling forward. You can open the grapple at the landing using a similar technique. I.e. Knock the clutches out, hold the main brake and spool the slackpuller out.

I like to run the slackpuller with three more raps of rope on the drum to the main. This picks the slack up as you inhaul. On the Madill we can declutch to pick up slack but this is quite harsh and it is just something I have picked up to try minimise declutching. It may help with the side by side main drums on the Skagit though I notice yours has a large seperation.

Have you looked into converting to a single lever control?

tree farmer

Just watched the videos Tree Farmer, you have a neat old machine. It reminds me of the GT3 I worked with. The controls are slightly different.

You were after a few tips. From what I noticed you should try keep your ropes on the drums nicely. Particularly with the grapple having the ropes out of time due to a cross up is a pain. In the low lift stuff I like to do roll closes. If you have the grapple sitting back on the log you hold the slackpuller on the foot brake and go ahead on the main. This snaps the grapple closed while lifting it and pulling forward. You can open the grapple at the landing using a similar technique. I.e. Knock the clutches out, hold the main brake and spool the slackpuller out.

I like to run the slackpuller with three more raps of rope on the drum to the main. This picks the slack up as you inhaul. On the Madill we can declutch to pick up slack but this is quite harsh and it is just something I have picked up to try minimise declutching. It may help with the side by side main drums on the Skagit though I notice yours has a large seperation.

Have you looked into converting to a single lever control?

The machine came with a 4 way for the mains,-- in, interlock out, open and close. Someone in the past modified it for use with a MSP, maybe to avoid tennis elbow. Neatly spooled lines make a significant difference concerning the slack in the slackpulling line. The extra wraps on the one drum makes sense. I did inquire about a joystick/computer/electric air valve upgrade with radio remote control potential. The cost of writing the software would be over a 100,000 dollars by itself. Thanks for the operating advice.