• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scottish heavy equipment mechanic

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Becoming a Journeyman here more or less just means you've met the requirments and should be competent enough to work without supervision.

You'll never go very far in any trade in this country without the apprenticeship and paperwork to back it up. Just the way it is. Earning the Journeyman license is much more involved than just passing a few 25 question tests for a piece of paper. 4 years of work and school (10 months paid on the job, 2 months at school in the shop and classroom). There's a lot of good info in the apprenticeship program.

I find it hilarious that every dealer I've ever worked at the manufacturer required certain online training to be completed before being eligible for technical training and it was literally the same basic **** we all learned during the apprenticeship.

Welder Dave

That's why Alberta is recognized as having some of the highest standards in the world. You can't really fake it here. There was a guy, who wasn't very good at english, that had someone else try to take his final exam(s). The imposter did not meet what was listed on the students bio. and was kicked out of the room. The actual student fled the country because it is a serious offence to have false/forged credentials for a required trade.

Welder Dave

You need to expand on that. The same generic statement could be said about anywhere. Canada has its issues but 1 huge plus is the healthcare. Not perfect and a bunch of problems but if you're a citizen it's covered for the most part if you're sick, injured or in an accident. They don't check your bank account before they look after you.

Victor mcdade

It looks like you have to have all the program requirements completed in 18 month's in order to become an Alberta journeyman. I would imagine you can challenge the Red Seal exam(s) at the same time if required. Alberta had the highest standards in the country, at least for welding, and many who took the Red Seal test thought it was unnecessary because it was the same test as the Alberta test only 50 more questions. It was strictly theory to get the Red Seal. The practical tests in Alberta were harder from what I've heard from people coming from other province's. The B pressure test in Alberta was quite a bit more difficult but I think the tests have become standard all across Canada now so the qualifications are the same/similar in all province's. Alberta requires a trade certificate or be a registered apprentice to work in most trades. Most other province's it wasn't a requirement and Alberta wouldn't recognize out of province journeyman tickets. The Alberta tests could be challenged as well the Red Seal. Now the Red Seal test is standardized across Canada. I think the practical tests are standardized as well. I don't think the Red Seal was even offered in a lot of other province's until everything became standardized.

Tradesecrets - Trades Qualifier- Recognized Credential Program Details (alberta.ca)
Yep, you're right, it's all new to me but AIT has told me as long as I meet the hours criteria it shouldn't be a problem to challenge the red seal exam, but they can't make me an apprentice because I have verified hours so it makes me and uncertified mechanic until I pass the red seal, so I'll just do what they say and see where it gets me, I dare say the exam will be a struggle, the last time I was at college was 1994, the apprenticeship training in the UK used to be excellent and the city and guilds was a nightmare to sit but now with the lack of diesel mechanics in the UK, they are putting guys out as journeyman after 24 months training, it's a really sad state of affairs.

Welder Dave

I think you'll do fine. The questions make you think but if you know your stuff shouldn't be a problem. If you fail the test twice you can take a refresher course and try again. The test may be easier than in the past too. With less people going into the trades in Alberta they are making it a lot easier to get your hours. I went to a trade school and could have 200 hours applied to each year's (3) hours. Now someone who took a welding course in a reg. high school can challenge the 1st year. What a crock! A single course is about 6 weeks I think. I took welding for the whole school year. Basically 4 courses in the morning and 3 standard courses like math or social studies in the afternoon. Additionally went for work experience 3 times for 3 or 4 weeks where I was basically like an employee. I didn't go to school at all during work experience. I thought welding was quite fascinating and tried to learn as much as I could. I paid attention and it really paid off. I never had to study at home when I went for my apprenticeship training. A lot of the stuff I had already been taught or at least been exposed to. This let me focus more on the stuff that was new to me during apprentice schooling. The thing I couldn't practice was the actual welding but I had some experience so it wasn't too bad. Some 1st years have barely picked up a stinger so I had a good advantage over them. Schooling was for 6 weeks each year. Now it's for 8 weeks and a few years ago one of the instructors told me they used to teach a lot more in the 6 weeks than they do in the 8 weeks. Just making everything easier I guess.

Last edited:

Victor mcdade

I think you'll do fine. The questions make you think but if you know your stuff shouldn't be a problem. If you fail the test twice you can take a refresher course and try again. The test may be easier than in the past too. With less people going into the trades in Alberta they are making it a lot easier to get your hours. I went to a trade school and could have 200 hours applied to each year's (3) hours. Now someone who took a welding course in a reg. high school can challenge the 1st year. What a crock! A single course is about 6 weeks I think. I took welding for the whole school year. Basically 4 courses in the morning and 3 standard courses like math or social studies in the afternoon. Additionally went for work experience 3 times for 3 or 4 weeks where I was basically like an employee. I didn't go to school at all during work experience. I thought welding was quite fascinating and tried to learn as much as I could. I paid attention and it really paid off. I never had to study at home when I went for my apprenticeship training. A lot of the stuff I had already been taught or at least been exposed to. This let me focus more on the stuff that was new to me during apprentice schooling. The thing I couldn't practice was the actual welding but I had some experience so it wasn't too bad. Some 1st years have barely picked up a stinger so I had a good advantage over them. Schooling was for 6 weeks each year. Now it's for 8 weeks and a few years ago one of the instructors told me they used to teach a lot more in the 6 weeks than they do in the 8 weeks. Just making everything easier I guess.
I do a bit of my own welding out in the field but I definitely know when I'm out my depth

Victor mcdade

I think what makes a good trades person a great one is knowing their limits and when to ask for help or assistance. Knowbody knows everything although some people are very stubborn and won't admit it or ask for help.
Yep, I've worked with guys in the past and they get way in to deep before they ask for help, and it's usually the guys that either have been in the trade for years or it's a fresh out of the gate journey man who has an ego problem, and I always tell them the same thing, ask, there's absolutely no shame in asking for advice on how to go about a specific job, that's how the trade works, that's why I've had 4 apprentice's that have all headed to Australia and the last I heard they're doing well, we've all got to pass it on, well that's what I think anyway

chidog

You need to expand on that. The same generic statement could be said about anywhere. Canada has its issues but 1 huge plus is the healthcare. Not perfect and a bunch of problems but if you're a citizen it's covered for the most part if you're sick, injured or in an accident. They don't check your bank account before they look after you.
A grizzly bear could try to have you for dinner and there is zero you could do about it, for one.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
A grizzly bear could try to have you for dinner and there is zero you could do about it, for one.
Not sure what part of Canada you were in, but there are no grizzlys where I live. Some black bears. They say more people have been killed by black bears than grizzlys, and that more people die from bee stings than bear attacks. I know what you are referring to is the gun thing, but it is what it is. They tried to take our hunting rifles away, but that ain't working out for them. I was in Vermont, and an old fella was pumping gas. Started talking to me. He was 87 and still working. He talked about Canada, and asked me if I thought how awful it was how they taxed my paycheque to pay for other's health care. Not at all I said, and I know there are people in Canada that would prefer to pay for their own health care, and I know you guys don't have it, and don't want it, but I have done it my whole life, and sometimes I get depressed at them taking lets say as a 3364.11 pay, I get 2316.36, so 1047.75. 810.52 of that is tax, 184.08 is Canada pension, and 53.15 is employment insurance, but the region I live in has nothing in the winter months, so I go on employment insurance, and I get back more than I pay in. Our health system isn't the best, but I have a family dr, and I can go see him when I need to, I can get things done at the hospital as long as it's not cosmetic. My boss had to go to Florida and get surgery on his spine. Down side to our system, he would have waited years here. The Dr bill was only a bit over 10,000, but the hospital bill was over 90,000, and when he paid them right away, they sent him a bill for extra fees, that they "forgot" When he asked for an itemized bill, they said it was too late and it had gone to collections. So he's fighting that one. I'm not always in agreement, at how they use my money especially these days, nor am I on board with them trying to tax the crap out of us for not being green. Anyway I wouldn't worry about the grizzleys...... now polar bears on the other hand, don't get me going on the polar bears, and I would avoid Toronto. I'd be more worried about Toronto than bears. I didn't us the G word, or the P word, so no one else please

skyking1

@Victor mcdade it's good to see someone post up about making a new start like this. I'm all but retired, myself.
The medical system in BC saved my canadian brother's life with his non-hodgkin's lymphoma, and my visiting mother had a heart attack at the niece's wedding and Victoria hospital gave her absolutely top notch care. When the bill came from them, they took what her supplement to medicare offered and wrote off the rest. No complaints from my family, @cuttin edge

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
You talk about tax, try Scotland 43% on the pound you earn and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
For the typical mechanic wages in Alberta (for a 40 hr/wk, non-camp job) you'd be looking at approximately 25% income tax, plus mandatory EI and CPP deductions that max out at nearly $4,800/year. Thankfully Alberta is one of the few provinces without a Provincial Sales Tax and is probably near the top of the list for low cost of living in Canada.

Last edited:

chidog

Not sure what part of Canada you were in, but there are no grizzlys where I live. Some black bears. They say more people have been killed by black bears than grizzlys, and that more people die from bee stings than bear attacks. I know what you are referring to is the gun thing, but it is what it is. They tried to take our hunting rifles away, but that ain't working out for them. I was in Vermont, and an old fella was pumping gas. Started talking to me. He was 87 and still working. He talked about Canada, and asked me if I thought how awful it was how they taxed my paycheque to pay for other's health care. Not at all I said, and I know there are people in Canada that would prefer to pay for their own health care, and I know you guys don't have it, and don't want it, but I have done it my whole life, and sometimes I get depressed at them taking lets say as a 3364.11 pay, I get 2316.36, so 1047.75. 810.52 of that is tax, 184.08 is Canada pension, and 53.15 is employment insurance, but the region I live in has nothing in the winter months, so I go on employment insurance, and I get back more than I pay in. Our health system isn't the best, but I have a family dr, and I can go see him when I need to, I can get things done at the hospital as long as it's not cosmetic. My boss had to go to Florida and get surgery on his spine. Down side to our system, he would have waited years here. The Dr bill was only a bit over 10,000, but the hospital bill was over 90,000, and when he paid them right away, they sent him a bill for extra fees, that they "forgot" When he asked for an itemized bill, they said it was too late and it had gone to collections. So he's fighting that one. I'm not always in agreement, at how they use my money especially these days, nor am I on board with them trying to tax the crap out of us for not being green. Anyway I wouldn't worry about the grizzleys...... now polar bears on the other hand, don't get me going on the polar bears, and I would avoid Toronto. I'd be more worried about Toronto than bears. I didn't us the G word, or the P word, so no one else please
No matter, I'm not a kid anymore and can't throw rocks like I used to. So I guess y'all don't get the point. Okay if its not a Grizz then a big cat or a bear of some sort, or other such dangerous "animal".