• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scottish heavy equipment mechanic

Welder Dave

Finning is the largest Cat dealer with multiple locations. Maybe you'd be interested in working in the oilsands in Alberta. Lots of work and good money. Some people live up there and some have a schedule where go up for a week or 2 and then come back to Edmonton for a week or so or something along those lines. Actually I know the Cummins service manager (for up there) who's based at Suncor but covers all the big outfits. He rides at my MX track and I think he said they were looking for people when he was out in the fall. I could text him if you might be interested.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Finning is the largest Cat dealer with multiple locations. Maybe you'd be interested in working in the oilsands in Alberta. Lots of work and good money. Some people live up there and some have a schedule where go up for a week or 2 and then come back to Edmonton for a week or so or something along those lines. Actually I know the Cummins service manager (for up there) who's based at Suncor but covers all the big outfits. He rides at my MX track and I think he said they were looking for people when he was out in the fall. I could text him if you might be interested.
Only trouble with Finning in the oilsands is when they need people they hire like crazy. Moment it slows down they start laying off. Other than that they're a pretty decent outfit to work for.

Vetech63

If you are looking stateside here in the US, I would be researching different geographic areas. I don't think getting a job anywhere here in this country will be an issue for someone like yourself. This is a pretty divided country in these times so the location of where you work will need to meet your own lifestyle expectations. If you want a happy life and a happy wife.........the location is going to be everything!

Victor mcdade

If you are looking stateside here in the US, I would be researching different geographic areas. I don't think getting a job anywhere here in this country will be an issue for someone like yourself. This is a pretty divided country in these times so the location of where you work will need to meet your own lifestyle expectations. If you want a happy life and a happy wife.........the location is going to be everything!
Yep you are so right, I'm scoping places just now while I'm off on holiday.
All the best jim

Victor mcdade

Yes Dave that would be brilliant if you could, I've had a few party's interested both in Canada and America which is a bit mind-blowing, I didn't realise there was such a high demand, if it's easier to email, my address is [email protected], my son thought it would be funny to put a different name in.

terex herder

I am in the camp that says you can find a job anywhere you look if your paperwork is in order, and quite a few even if without paperwork. If it at all fits in your budget you need to take a tour of the USA. Decide what type of place you want both weather and political climate. Pick a few locations and then visit them before accepting a job offer.

Victor mcdade

Finning is over in Scotland too are they not? If you got in there I wonder if they'd let you take up a job position in Canada. They've got the entire western Canadian territory to themselves.
Finning is a nightmare place to get a job, it's a very small team and you need to be a relation before they let you in the door

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I was browsing property online in rural Idaho a year or 2 ago. I was actually shocked by how cheap it was. Even with the exchange rate a comparable house with land was around $50-$100k less than it was around here.

How much do they typically pay in those states? We get our nuts taxed off up here on absolutely everything. Probably 40-50% of our earnings disappear to the tax man if you count all the BS taxes we have. I kid you not they literally made up an additional tax to put on alcohol.
Don't forget tire tax when you buy a new car.

Welder Dave

Yes Dave that would be brilliant if you could, I've had a few party's interested both in Canada and America which is a bit mind-blowing, I didn't realise there was such a high demand, if it's easier to email, my address is [email protected], my son thought it would be funny to put a different name in.
I will send him a text. I remembered he told another rider who was a HD mechanic to apply.
Edit:
I sent him a text so hopefully will here back in a day or 2.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Sureway Construction is a huge and is looking for contractors and apprentice or journeymen technician's and journeymen and apprentice mechanics. There must be a difference. Pay is $87 to $106K/yr for employee's. They have over 600 pieces of heavy equipment as well as trucks and several subsidiary companies, gravel pits, etc.

Sureway Construction Group Jobs (with Salaries) 2022 | Indeed.com Canada

Last edited:

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Sureway Construction is a huge and is looking for contractors and apprentice or journeymen technician's and journeymen and apprentice mechanics. There must be a difference. Pay is $87 to $106K/yr for employee's. They have over 600 pieces of heavy equipment as well as trucks and several subsidiary companies, gravel pits, etc.

Sureway Construction Group Jobs (with Salaries) 2022 | Indeed.com Canada
Don't forget to let him know how lovely and warm it is in Alberta during the winter months