• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Trakloader - there are many diagrams of an 009 on tracks in that manual that you have. Here's one of them that I found today.

Fantastic Jackd!!!! That is just what i need to scratch build the model of the 009! more more more please!

Ap40

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Neither New Zealand Forest Products nor the Kiangara Logging Company are still around. Kiangaroa Timberland is managing the Kiangaroa Forest and Hancocks manages the Kinleith Forest.

Things have changed quite a bit down here since the Forest Service days with a significant amount of overseas investment. Our Ministry for Primary Industries releases a publiation anually on the state of the forestry industry. The 2011 publication is here http://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-resourc... Forest Description (NEFD) as at 1 April 2011
Wow, such a shame. My 10 months in NZ is one of the most fond memories of my life. Although we never made it to the south island in 1982, my wife & i plan on treking the whole country some time in the near future.

Ap40

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I'll look through my papers and pass on what I have. You are planning on doing a track machine and not one that is mounted on rubber?

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Tamiya did 1/48, 1/35 & 1/16 on the Sherman variations. They did make a few 1/25 scale tanks, several German tiger variants, the British Centurain. Others were done in 1/25 by Bandai, some were the same tools used by other companies. But sadly no kit of a Sherman in 1/25, recently VS RC has come out with a 1/25 scale early M4, but it has the wrong early & narrow suspension. Franklin Mint offered a hand assembled 1/25 scale M4A3E8 in diecast. this is a beautiful piece & i have mine all taken apart for a certain logging model project......

Ap40

My first months in the woods were spent on the J-139 back at M & B Sproat Lake Division (supposedly this was originally a Cameron Division machine). It was at the end of its career and was used as a 'spare side' - if another machine was broken down, they would send the crew over to this towered up machine and production would continue. My brother was also there and told me stories of wooden boxes of spare idler wheels that were stashed underneath the side boards. The boxes were marked with military identifiers and were dated from dates like 1942 etc. Inside the boxes were the idlers wrapped in oil soaked preservative cloth from the day they were manufactured and in new condition.

I also worked on the J-121 during this time. One memmorable time was when they decided to move it to another area via its own running gear because the low bed was busy. The operator (French guy by the name of 'Oui Oui') decided to see what she could do and opened up the throttle. I sat next to him on the running board enjoying the thrill of a lifetime.... The road was straight and the pipe was swaying in the saddle like a big gun barrel. It was very bizarre looking down at those tracks whizzing by and trying to imagine what it was like driving on a real Sherman tank back in the day. Our fun didn't last long because the drive train let go - they got a cat to come and drag it the remaining distance to the next setting. It was fun while it lasted.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Yea I got heaps but don't know how to put them up here.

It isn't that hard to do. Scan your pics to your computer. When you bring them up in your 'pictures' folder - right click on them and up will come a tool bar. Click on edit and then click on re-size - chose to 640 pixels in the width box and save them. The re-sizing is because the HEF forum has a limit on the size that it will let you upload.

When you want to post them to the forum - pick a thread and hit the 'quick reply' box at the bottom left of the last posting. Up will come a box for your reply - don't use that box, instead click on advanced reply on the bottom right. The next pop up screen is where the work is done. Type in your statement in the box as per usual and then scroll down to the 'Attachments' box and click on 'manage attachments'. Up will come an 'File Upload Manager' box. At the upper right click on 'Add files' - the 'Select Files' box will pop up at the bottom of this screen - click on it and up will pop up where you are planning to upload from. My stuff is usually in 'Pictures and so I click on this and up will pop the various file folders that I have stuff saved to (seeing as I re-sized them as per the first paragraph - they are ready to go) I click on the picture that I want and this send the picture to the 'File Upload Manager' box. Click on 'upload' and that pic will be added to the thread.

I just re-learned this whole process again after having not done it for quite a long period - and you can add the fact that I am using a new computer and operating system to complicate things. My suggestion is that you print off what I just explained and put it next to your keyboard and follow the steps. This will save clicking from one screen to the next and you can do the whole thing in seconds. And no, I am not a young little computer whizz - I'm a middle aged fart like most of you

skadill

Toy madill 009

You've got my interest about the model talk here guys.I did an Madill 009 in 1997 here,but one is never enough( same as the real iron)and I'd like to do another at some point.It would be greatly appreciated as well here to get a couple drawings like the above blueprint for a proper build,(let me know how to receive one or a posted link please & thank-you a bunch).I also want to do a line loader model as well.This one here was just done off some little Ritchie bros. auction pics. 15 years of maturing and hopefully having more patience should build a better piece as well for the next one.An old video of this toy can be seen here : http://youtu.be/dvzmeJ-6Me0

Attachments

• 2012-11-07 22.08.25.jpg
    2012-11-07 22.08.25.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 1,629
  • 2012-11-07 22.09.19.jpg
    2012-11-07 22.09.19.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 2012-11-07 22.10.01.jpg
    2012-11-07 22.10.01.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 1,452
  • 2012-11-07 22.10.12.jpg
    2012-11-07 22.10.12.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 1,457

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Not a bad model - hope my 044 comes together and looks like that when it's done. What I want to know is where did you get the mini Madill stickers for the guy line drum covers? I'm still trying to find a full size set of those.

I will go through my binders and try to find any drawings of an 009 and I will pass them on to you.

bitner1970

Occupation
Engineering Tech for a water/sewer district
Hey Doug I know that model It's sitting on my coffee table, I built it:)

Cheers:

Bill

Last edited:

skadill

Not a bad model - hope my 044 comes together and looks like that when it's done. What I want to know is where did you get the mini Madill stickers for the guy line drum covers? I'm still trying to find a full size set of those.

I will go through my binders and try to find any drawings of an 009 and I will pass them on to you.
That would be great!,The stickers were just done on the computer and printed onto sticky back paper(By my wife of course,I can't do that stuff)

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I've been trying to find a good picture of the old Madill logos for quite awhile - I'm hoping to make a copy for my garage wall.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Sorry, Getting my Weyco's confused. Pe Ell, WA. Recently.
I took pictures of the two 120's sitting there in May of 2010 in the same spot, wonder if they have moved since then. There was a Skagit 737 and a TSY6255 there as well. Did you get serial #'s on any of those when you were there? It was raining really hard when I was there, plus I sort of snuck in the back way so Ididn't stay long.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Skadill,
Nice model! what scale is it? I agree, it does not matter if it is scale or real, more is always better!

Ap40