• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

lever twister

So do you apply throttle or let it idle downhill and adjust the swing brake accordingly? I understand these machines have a shear pin and if it fails, do the band brakes hold or is it sheer terror on a steep grade?

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
So do you apply throttle or let it idle downhill and adjust the swing brake accordingly? I understand these machines have a shear pin and if it fails, do the band brakes hold or is it sheer terror on a steep grade?
Which machine are talking about 044. 144 075 009 124 122 143 ?

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Both. The 009 has a chain drive from pto shaft to angle drive. 143 is hyd undercarrage. 124, 122, most were on hyd undercarriges. Can't recall if some were on rubber. It's been quite a while since I've been around any of them. Anyone with more info feel free to add or correct what I'm trying to remember.d.d.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
You use the throttle to speed up and the winch retard to slow it down. Usually break shear pins going up hill or turning and the brakes will hold it even on the steepest hill if you haven't over heated them to the point where they are smoking. They break drive shaft u joints fairly often also once they get some wear on the flanges .Stopping to turn keeps the brakes from over heating.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Back in the day of no "Fear or Common Sence" I was walking a 1969 044 #47002 up a steep hill 25% or so and blew the rear U-joint, the drive shaft spinning around knocked the LH travel brake pot off sending me and this 120 ton monster back down the hill backwards. I kept hitting the travel brakes until it stopped, there it sat sideways still on the Rd. with about 4 ft right side final drive hanging off the edge of a 200 ft rock cut. I thought I had broken the shear pins upon further investigation I discoverd the real cause...Thank Christ I kept my Travel Brakes set up..it rolled back probably 50 ft or so and stopped on one brake..I matured a lot that day...
On the 044 144 you apply the swing maxi to use the winch retarder, these machines have a gear/mechanical drive line driven by the winch, when you apply air to the retarder it applies both off the water cooled swingers L&R which are also gear driven through the winch, it basiclly stalls the winch driveline. It is a good system never had a problem going down hill lol the idea is to use the retarder and save your travel band brakes incase you need them. Throttle up and down a bit to keep the water circulating through the WC Swingers which are either Witchita or Eaton.. I'm not sure how the 075 works as they have a Hyd. swinger..075 will know..hopefully this makes sense.
You use the throttle to speed up and the winch retard to slow it down. Usually break shear pins going up hill or turning and the brakes will hold it even on the steepest hill if you haven't over heated them to the point where they are smoking. They break drive shaft u joints fairly often also once they get some wear on the flanges .Stopping to turn keeps the brakes from over heating.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
The 075 dose not have a winch retard per-say. What I do is run the grapple up to the fairlead and tighten up the haulback and tag then apply all the brakes . Take the tag drag off, and when I need to slow down I use the tag clutch as winch retard, it is an 18 inch water cooled Wichita so it works good . All you have to do is watch your water temp to make sure you do not over heat it. And if I stop to turn the machine will go for miles with out heating up the brakes.

Scott_527

Is that an old Interfor machine? Do you have any pics or info on that 6280 hiding behind the loader? Where and when were these pictures taken?

Wdonaldson

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
They where Pacific Forest Products machines. I cannot find the pictures of the grapple yarder, they were taken near Cottonwood Creek not to far from Lake Cowichan in the 90's.

Wdonaldson

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Found a picture of the Cypress 6280 in the previous pics with the Madill 3800, I will post on the Cypress thread.