• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

skadill

A frame unloader from Madill archive corporate box of original pics.just about to stay away from posting from difficulty in trying to load pics and figure this newer format out.

Attachments

• SCAN_20171210_170914898.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Hope you've got it figured now Skadill about uploading, as this forum would sorely miss your being here if you did stay away. Stick at it, mate!

Betelgeuse

I think your first picture is a double main. It may be recognized by 1) haulback is closer to the back end of yarder (since it takes the place of the mechanical guyline drum of the tag/line shorterners) and 2) hydraulic guyline winch(es). A double main is working exactly as a tag except it has two similar main drums mounted after each other in front of the winch frame, one of these work as opening line. Drums are placed in the winch frame in the same way as on the 100 series of regenerative swing yarders. Your second picture is a tag machine, most 044 will look like this (also a line shorterner). Most of the 044's delivered from mid seventies are tags, I understand line shorterners mainly were the older series (47000) with the very heavy boom and the very low gantry. Though, #60070 and 71 delivered to MacMillan Bloedells Copper Canyon and Kelsey Bay divisions in 1979 were line shorterners. I may have a picture of the setup on these machines and will publish it here when I find it!

Thanks for the description. I would love be able to see these machines in person. I just so happen to see a barge this morning heading south down Georgia strait by Victoria with two 044s on it.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
So to make a long story short .The 1423 is the last track 075 built and we got it from Gold River this August to replace the rubber tires one we got from Engle Wood two years ago. The tracked 075 (1468 second to last track on built) that I was running broke the the eye out of the cab side gantry tie back in June of 16. Dropping the snorkel into the ground and bending the the top piece of the gantry and putting a bend in both sections of the snorkle. We put a used top gantry piece and back braces on and boomed up and moved it out of the way. It was decided by upper levels of management to convert the machine into a hyd driven under carriage. All the engineering was done by TMAR but they seem to have problems getting the $1,000,000 needed to do it.So it sits in Port McNeill behind the shop waiting to have this done.The rubber tired one (1560) second to last one built was coming up short in what we really needed in Jeune Landing . Snorkle to short ,70 feet and getting around the 28% plus switch backs they found out Gold River wasn't using theirs much any more so we scooped it. We had it in the shop yard for 5 or 6 weeks working all the bugs out (all kinds of air problems and other older machine fixes) and putting the snorkle together with new guylines and other changes to the snorkle. Took it out for a couple of weeks with just 60 feet of snorkle work out a few of the bugs and then it sat for awhile. Finally got it out in to the woods a month or so back with all the snorkel on it and have been quite happy with it .Has a 23 tooth converter sprocket and is pretty quick on the line speed./And helps with the series 50 flat spot of idle 1468 006.JPG 1468 006.JPG 1468 003.JPG 1468 003.JPG

Attachments

• 1468 007.JPG
    1468 007.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 1468 009.JPG
    1468 009.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
What massive machines.
Are they used for yarding, loading or...?
To me it seems as a 124 or a 355 would be a better yarder?
Not knowing alot about the snorkel machines or their purpose has me wondering.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
You can yard and load with it. Use to go and do the right of way with it with 1/2 the snorkel on and then go back after it was fell and load out with 60 feet of snorkle .Then after put the end section on (an extra 60 feet ) yard and load the rest or just yard it or leave it for a juicer . Quick cheap wood ,but we are getting away from that now and using the juicers for the right of way .And I mostly just yard now gutting chucker settings if I can lol
1st Back Up 246.jpg

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
How far out can you yard with one? Can you cast the grapples out like a non snorkled line shovel?

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
When my mojo is working another 30 to 50 feet past the end of the snorkle on the bottom side not so much on the top side. Boom is 30 feet, snorkle is 120 feet so I have 150 feet of reach before casting. And I run 900 foot main and haulback lines (when new) and 250 foot tag line

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Can you control the log much, like lifting it's nose out of the dirt, or slowing it down when working top side and it runs towards you?

Hoeguy

Occupation
You guessed it
So to make a long story short .The 1423 is the last track 075 built and we got it from Gold River this August to replace the rubber tires one we got from Engle Wood two years ago. The tracked 075 (1468 second to last track on built) that I was running broke the the eye out of the cab side gantry tie back in June of 16. Dropping the snorkel into the ground and bending the the top piece of the gantry and putting a bend in both sections of the snorkle. We put a used top gantry piece and back braces on and boomed up and moved it out of the way. It was decided by upper levels of management to convert the machine into a hyd driven under carriage. All the engineering was done by TMAR but they seem to have problems getting the $1,000,000 needed to do it.So it sits in Port McNeill behind the shop waiting to have this done.The rubber tired one (1560) second to last one built was coming up short in what we really needed in Jeune Landing . Snorkle to short ,70 feet and getting around the 28% plus switch backs they found out Gold River wasn't using theirs much any more so we scooped it. We had it in the shop yard for 5 or 6 weeks working all the bugs out (all kinds of air problems and other older machine fixes) and putting the snorkle together with new guylines and other changes to the snorkle. Took it out for a couple of weeks with just 60 feet of snorkle work out a few of the bugs and then it sat for awhile. Finally got it out in to the woods a month or so back with all the snorkel on it and have been quite happy with it .Has a 23 tooth converter sprocket and is pretty quick on the line speed./And helps with the series 50 flat spot of idle View attachment 176391 View attachment 176391 View attachment 176392 View attachment 176392
How do you like climbing over the seat system in it?