• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need mini ex advice

Duke

Looking at the possibility of a mini-ex.
Want a used brand name, full cab w/AC, rubber tracks, aux hydraulics for 30K or less.

Is it possible?

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Looking at the possibility of a mini-ex.
Want a used brand name, full cab w/AC, rubber tracks, aux hydraulics for 30K or less.

Is it possible?

Dont know if its poss for the price, but the general concentious of opinion on here, I believe would suggest a Tachehuti,(sp) Kubota, Deere in that order.
Price, options, ?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
What weight class are looking for?

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I liked the deere over the kubota at first. 2 years later and 1500hours I think the kubota is the best mini excavator out there. I dont like the cats but I think they have the best cabs on the inside.

Ive run Case, deere/hitachi, gehl, kubota, cat, and bobcat and I like kubota the best. The hydralics multi function the best, controls are most comfortable, and the power is good. We have a kubota KX121-3.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Takeuchi makes one heck of a mini excavator. We just bought a yanmar mini and it's also a very nice machine but i have not used it enough to give a good opinion about it though.

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
Deere and kubota are both good machines. Check out rbauction.com for auctions in your area, with the market how it is you should be able to find your machine in your budget.

videoeic

Lots of constuction companys going out of biz

I just picked up a 2001 Kubota 91-2 w/200 hrs.
for 16K
look on craigslist
good luck

Duke

I think I want to switch from my backhoe to a utility 4x4 tractor with a front end loader, like a used Kubota M6800 4x4 or Case IH CX 4x4 with a FEL and a landscape rake and a used track hoe. That way I can dig most stuff I need to dig and I can use the utility tractor to load my dumptruck.

If I can get $55 + for my 580 SuperM, that would leave me $25,000 for a used 70HP utility 4x4 tractor and $30,000 for a used trackhoe.

Duke

Yes and no, but more yes than no, if that makes sense.

I have recently been offered medium sized fields to cut. Can't do it with a Case backhoe. I also would like to be able to use a smaller landscape rake & box blade on a 3 pt hitch.
My reasoning was that a 70-80HP 4x4 utility tractor can do a reasonable job with loader work, they can lift high enough to load my dump. A mini ex can do a reasonable job excavating- better than a L-48 or a JD-110, plus it'll have a A/C cab. None of the small TLBs have cabs.

There's really no perfect machine for me because the tasks vary so much.

The other nice thing is that the possibility exists that either machine can be hauled behind my pickup. That would make life easier for me when transporting machines.

coopers

I agree with you on that. I finally was able to use a 580M on a job this weekend (always use older case backhoes) and I have to say I was not impressed, but quite annoyed. I don't like how large the 580's have gotten, it's ridiculously annoying that the cab is so damn large, the engine compartment is huge, and the front end was too light. I like the old B's and C's much better. It sucks because I like case but I was not very impressed with the M. I ended up having to use the Kubota 121 for everything....much quicker. So I can see how you are in need of different machinery.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Im not the biggest fan of the M's but I swear by the L's. Our 121 verse the 580, well in tight spots the 121 has it. The 121 can load a 6 wheeler quicker.

The 580 will still out dig the 121 by far anyday.

WVBartMan

Occupation
Excavation Manager
Duke: I like the combination I presently have and that's a Kubota L5030 Tractor and loader with a bolt on tooth bar along with a box blade and top and tilt kit that makes the box blade extremely efficient and versatile. I combine that with a Komatsu PC75 track hoe and the two machines makes it perfect for a wide variety of projects/task. If I had to do it over again I would upsize and get the Kubota M7040 Tractor.

mike69440

Occupation
Engineer
L39 & Pc75

Duke: I like the combination I presently have and that's a Kubota L5030 Tractor and loader with a bolt on tooth bar along with a box blade and top and tilt kit that makes the box blade extremely efficient and versatile. I combine that with a Komatsu PC75 track hoe and the two machines makes it perfect for a wide variety of projects/task. If I had to do it over again I would upsize and get the Kubota M7040 Tractor.

I have a L39 & PC75 and wish I had somerhing like a jcb 212 and a 10-12 tone track hoe. Always want bigger.

Duke

Yes, this is what I want. I think the 5040 would be nice with the hydrostatic over the shuttle shift on the 7040 although the 7040 is a lot more machine.

I'd have to get a loader that can load a dumptruck with 8' high sides. Not sure a 5040 could reach that high.

WVBartMan

Occupation
Excavation Manager
Duke: I would go with the 7040 for so many reasons over the 5040 but mostly the size, reach and weight. The hydrostatic on the 5040 is nice for loader work but you'll get used to the shuttle and make sure you get the hydraulic shuttle on the 7040. I only wish I didn't need to the L5030 I presently have to cut my own grass around the house or I would sell it and buy the 7040. The weight of the 7040 is a little heavy for cutting my grass around the house.

semipro

Using a JCB 8040 on tryout --new for $39995

Anyone familiar with them? I checked the Bobcat 335, Kubota 121. The JCB dozer blade has to be the best size and design out there. The tracks are several inches wider and longer. I don't care for the fiberglass engine/pump covers and the extreme high idle, with the resulting high noise level. Also wonder how the fuel consumption compares to the others?? Controls are either ISO or SAE. All these models are same price--Seattle area.