• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Speaking of 56 Fords and excrement of one form or another.....back in high school I worked for an equine facility building pipe fence, fixing the tractors/trucks/trailers, baling hay and (cue the music) hauling manure. 56 Ford 2 ton with an dump bed. She was a contakerous old girl. I’d haul a couple loads a week and when you got down to the really composted black stuff it was not a pleasant smell.

When I first was assigned that task I effin HATED it! After awhile I got to liking it. Later in life I realized there was a lesson in that. No matter where you are on the ladder of life you’re gonna have to put up with $hit!! Sometimes multiple loads of it!

A good many of the valuable lessons I learned came from that place. KJM became quite a mentor and is a cherished friend to this day. The stories we could tell :)

Ok here’s one of my favorites. We went up by KC to deliver a horse. Coming back on 291 through Harrisonville there was this little pup wandering in traffic. We stopped, I jumped out and grabbed her. This lady in a van full of kids stopped and asked if I was going to take her. Without missing a beat I calmly replied “No ma’am I’m just getting her lined up so we can catch her with all the tires.”

Priceless :D:D

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Mine was a F-1 Flathead on a Fordamatic no less, trans was always screwed up, leaking. Had to love the later old Y blocks!!

Truck Shop

Speaking of 56 Fords and excrement of one form or another.....back in high school I worked for an equine facility building pipe fence, fixing the tractors/trucks/trailers, baling hay and (cue the music) hauling manure. 56 Ford 2 ton with an dump bed. She was a contakerous old girl. I’d haul a couple loads a week and when you got down to the really composted black stuff it was not a pleasant smell.

When I first was assigned that task I effin HATED it! After awhile I got to liking it. Later in life I realized there was a lesson in that. No matter where you are on the ladder of life you’re gonna have to put up with $hit!! Sometimes multiple loads of it!

A good many of the valuable lessons I learned came from that place. KJM became quite a mentor and is a cherished friend to this day. The stories we could tell :)

Ok here’s one of my favorites. We went up by KC to deliver a horse. Coming back on 291 through Harrisonville there was this little pup wandering in traffic. We stopped, I jumped out and grabbed her. This lady in a van full of kids stopped and asked if I was going to take her. Without missing a beat I calmly replied “No ma’am I’m just getting her lined up so we can catch her with all the tires.”

Priceless :D:D

I will see that and raise you twenty. I grew up on a Jersey dairy in the 60's we were milking 110 head on Surge vacuum buckets in a nine stall milk parlor. Start at 5 and finish at 9, 4 to 8
in the morning. Walked to a 6 room school with cow $hit on my jeans and boots. My dad made sure the three of us boy's had a shovel in our hand two minutes after we were born.
When their head is in the stanchion and nose is in the grain you watch for the tail going up {quick grab that scoop shovel and get it under their a$$ before it splatters on the concrete floor.
How many of you know what a Surcingle is?

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Great Aunt and Uncle had a hand pull dairy farm, 10 head milked twice a day EVERY day by three people!! Tell me you did not ride the damn things!!

Truck Shop

The only one I rode was a year old Jersey bull, ornery little ba$tard he was.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Mine was a F-1 Flathead on a Fordamatic no less, trans was always screwed up, leaking. Had to love the later old Y blocks!!

Mine was a '55 with a 272 and tree on the tree. Bought it from the original owner, (dryland wheat farmer south of Kennewick Wa.) It was my daily driver for a few years, the original radio even worked for awhile. I think it had 60,000 on it when I got it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I will see that and raise you twenty. I grew up on a Jersey dairy in the 60's we were milking 110 head on Surge vacuum buckets in a nine stall milk parlor. Start at 5 and finish at 9, 4 to 8
in the morning. Walked to a 6 room school with cow $hit on my jeans and boots. My dad made sure the three of us boy's had a shovel in our hand two minutes after we were born.
When their head is in the stanchion and nose is in the grain you watch for the tail going up {quick grab that scoop shovel and get it under their a$$ before it splatters on the concrete floor.

Truck Shop

Only 20? Lol. I’ve been around beef cows more but know enough about dairy’s that I can tell you it’s nothin but work!!!

Surcingle is kind of like the girth, cinch or latigo depending on what type of equestrian activities you’re into lol. More of a training thing than anything from what I recall.....at least that’s what I know of one.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

Truck Shop
My grandfather ran a Cow/calf Beef operation. Breed 'em and and collect and sell the calves at weaning time about 800 head of nasty old range cows and 20 to 30 head of mixed up bulls. He had about 13,000 acres of leased rangeland on the west side of Banks Lake and we would spend 3 weeks rounding up and hauling them to the home place every year when the grass ran out. At least Dairy cows don't give you saddle sores. Sometimes we would be out for several days finding all the critters without a real bed. There were several old line shacks on the property and they were stocked up so we had food and a place to sleep. It was kind of cool looking back on it. One of the overnight spots was an abandoned 3 story barn with horse stalls on the ground floor, the next up was an open floor where we rolled out our beds, the third had a giant Great horned Owl that owned the hayloft.
This was 45 years ago, going to go up later this summer and see one of the land owners and see if we can get in and see the old place. It's totally walled off to outsiders but I think if I mention names... we are in.
Foster Coulee on google maps. (hint)

Truck Shop

Right on Junkyard, For milking it was a rubber fabric strap with brass eyelets and a 3/8 curved rod attached to the strap on one end with a hook on the other
that hooked through the brass eyelet, you hung the vacuum bucket on it. I screwed up one time in the barn which caused one of the cows to pull back in the stanchion and kicked my mom.
My dad grabbed a Surcingle and lashed me with it about five times, every six inches there were huge welts from the eyelets. Never forgot that I was about seven then.

Truck Shop

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That’s a great story. I’d have been all for that. Saddle sores and all! It’s been many years since I spent any considerable time on horseback.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Right on Junkyard, For milking it was a rubber fabric strap with brass eyelets and a 3/8 curved rod attached to the strap on one end with a hook on the other
that hooked through the brass eyelet, you hung the vacuum bucket on it. I screwed up one time in the barn which caused one of the cows to pull back in the stanchion and kicked my mom.
My dad grabbed a Surcingle and lashed me with it about five times, every six inches there were huge welts from the eyelets. Never forgot that I was about seven then.

Truck Shop

Ouch. I think every kid has a memory like that of some sort. My mom had a belt that she liked....straight from the golden days of the 70’s. Not that she ever had to use it on me.....haha

Truck Shop

This rig has always been interesting to me 8V-71 with a 15sp built in Colorado. With 4 steer it gave true meaning to wiggle wagons at highway speed.

Truck Shop

14-Coleman.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That’s a great story. I’d have been all for that. Saddle sores and all! It’s been many years since I spent any considerable time on horseback.
Up 'til 10 years ago I had a big Bay gelding, 3 white socks and a white blaze on his forehead, very cow smart and only needed knee steering. He was from of some of granddads stock, My grandfather bred cow horses from mostly Quarterhorse and a bit of thouroughbred. He did have a soft spot for abandoned Draft horses that led to some interesting results... Belgian and Quarterhorse mix will stop anything you can get a rope on and then drag them where ever you want. Kind of like roping off a D9 cat.