• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
An outfit I worked for years ago had a late 60's GMC 7500 with a 476? Magnum V-6 with a 610 roadranger trans. Single drive with a 5th wheel and every sort of rear hitch you can imagine. Also had a Skagit knuckleboom we affectionately called "Dribbles", Man that thing could easily leave a 427 Chevy or 534 Ford in the weeds. Gas mileage... well it got the job done.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
It may just be me, but it seems like the last two three years, I've been seeing a lot of late model trucks burned down on the side of the road. Much more than I used too. Is this caused by the regen cycles and intense heat under the hoods? I've only run a couple things with regen cycles, not owned any.

Either that or its financial combustion

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
On a related subject in MN you can only buy replacement insurance for a bar or tavern. They build you a new bar and no direct payout to the owner yo cash out. Only been one bar burn down in the last three years that I have heard about. Used to be about one a month.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Is called and do NOT take offense PLEASE, "Jewish Lightning" around here. Clear day, no hard weather in WEEKS, and for some odd reason a lightning bolt starts a fire that consumes a business that was for all rights just getting by, Maybe!

Truck Shop

Back to some old stuff I like.

The C.O.E.'s are 1947 KW's 587 models I believe. The 1946 versions had a integral sleeper. I have never seen one of these I don't believe there are any left on the planet.
There wasn't that many built and sold IIRC.

Truck Shop

11778966896_ec6bd996d6_b.jpg 18742316056_b71e92a01c_z.jpg 19018071449_869db29428_z.jpg 11778192555_bab5ca36ed_z.jpg

Truck Shop

I believe this is a model 522, built between 46-49. Although some were to have been built in 45. if it is a 45 it is a rare a$$ bird because that would mean it was built in Yakima, Wa.
during WWII. And that factory only produced less than 500 trucks from 41 to 45. I have never seen a 41 to 45 KW. Notice it has no bus lights on top of cab from factory.

Truck Shop

00s0s_5OatTYtBsGx_1200x900.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
In spite of it's age... that's a serious water truck. I saw an old KW like that and that is bent tube for the perimeter of the grill. Trying to remember where I saw it. I think it had a gas engine too.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I believe this is a model 522, built between 46-49. Although some were to have been built in 45. if it is a 45 it is a rare a$$ bird because that would mean it was built in Yakima, Wa.
during WWII. And that factory only produced less than 500 trucks from 41 to 45. I have never seen a 41 to 45 KW. Notice it has no bus lights on top of cab from factory.

Truck Shop

View attachment 181470

I'd love to bring that back to showroom condition. Maybe one day when I have a shop because doing cab-off rebuilds outdoors sucks........

Truck Shop

I spied this at the local rail-yard today, went home and got my camera. 200 ton boiler and 195 tons of equipment to move it. They had to add some extra equipment to meet
bridge and road restrictions. I might be able to get more photos tomorrow morning when they leave at 6:45 am with it headed to Lyons Ferry/Starbuck area for a new
straw processing plant.

Truck Shop

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

Truck Shop

They did look at going the Clyde route but I think their going by the shop headed east on 12 through Dayton then cutting back NW on 261 through Starbuck.
Either way there's some grades to pull. They better hope that ISX 600 in the push tractor doesn't decide to de-rate, notice the DEF tank.

Truck Shop

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
They did look at going the Clyde route but I think their going by the shop headed east on 12 through Dayton then cutting back NW on 261 through Starbuck.
Either way there's some grades to pull. They better hope that ISX 600 in the push tractor doesn't decide to de-rate, notice the DEF tank.

Truck Shop

Look at the exhaust on the wide hood 800 up front. Looks like a DPF hiding in that fake battery box.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

Truck Shop
Either way, there are some healthy grades both up and down. I wouldn't mind watching some of this move.

Truck Shop

It happened today, they didn't get moving til 10:30. The first pics are turning the rig around by backing it down the side street steering the lowboy axles remotely.
Some of the photos are not so good they wanted me to keep a distance. They had to add I beams to span the last bridge and in the last photos at the rail
crossing I could here the brakes over a third mile away {air disc} that last mile and a half is 7.5 to 8% grade at Lyons Ferry. If the photos are crappy please say so.
The total length 245 feet.004 (2).JPG 005 (2).JPG 006 (2).JPG 007 (2).JPG

Truck Shop