• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Lost another big one

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Wow. Come to think of it I haven't seen one of their LTL's in the industrial park our yard is located in. All the other big names run daily.

crane operator

20,000 Union teamsters and another 13,000 management or so. 1,000 in their offices in Kansas City got let go friday.

Just read a chart showing current rates down 20-50% from a year ago for freight. Pandemic prices didn't hold.

Also yellow still owes Uncle Sam for a $700 million load it got as a "vital" business/ bailout a couple years ago.

Truck Shop

National average just for operating expenses as of a month ago were hovering at $1.68 to $1.72
per mile. In order for a company to survive they need to see $2.50 a mile. Labor is the biggest cost
then fuel tires rate fifth inline. With all the LTL freight going on it's not hard to see what's happening.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Also just read there is 8-10% excess capacity in the LTL market something I didn't know either. By product of a cooling economy I guess.

Truck Shop

They say Yellow is worth more dead than alive, with their realestate holdings. 300 terminals located in expensive places.
When CF & PIE went under same thing only on a smaller scale because of land values at the time.
LTL means there are dozens or more single ship loads in one haul, a manhole cover or a few small valves, a pallet of boxed small parts or a engine on a skid.
Hauling produce was in many cases was LTL with all the pickups & drops to mom & pop produce outlets.
Called a mixer load. Normally the only straight full loads went to chain grocery. A truck could have
as many as 12 pickups in California.

Truck Shop

It’s going to leave a scar. Supposedly 1.1 billion in rolling stock. What’s that going to do?
For the trucks everyone in construction can buy a cheap OTR and convert to dump. Just think
of how many yellow and blue dumps will be running around. Problem is the maintenance on
those was getting short changed towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.