• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 710B Hyd Leak.

Nater

Occupation
Plumber
Hello, My name is Nate. This is my first real post here. I've read quite a bit over the years and there is a wealth of Information on this site. So Thank You. :)

I have a 1985 710B with a weird leak. It is coming out of a hole in the Trans case just above where the Pressure Regulating Control attaches. I have taken some pictures that show the hole.

I was moving some piles yesterday and it stalled out going into a pile with the loader while in first gear. I was on the throttle pretty good and had some rear tires spin as I lifted the bucket through the pile while tilting back. Afterwards I re-started and when I backed up I saw a small puddle. I parked the machine and after cleaning everything off I found it was coming out of this hole. Using a mirror I was able to see in the hole today that there is the top of a spring inside it. I can not tell where the fluid is coming from.

When I started it today it didn't leak as bad but after a few minutes of work it left a circle about 6" in diameter.

Does it have something to do with the PRC? Is there a relief valve in there? To fix it will I need to drain the whole Trans?

The hole doesn't have any threads in it and i'm not sure if there is suppposed to be a plug or something in it.

Thank you for the help.

Nate

imgp3275.jpg

imgp3274y.jpg

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum Nater.

I'm not familiar with your machine, and can't tell by the close up pic just where that hole is and what its purpose is. It does look like a hole there by design, like to prevent water or other liquids from accumulating inside that housing. If so, oil leak might indicate something inside that area needs attention, just not sure what.

Nater

Occupation
Plumber
Thanks for checking it out. I'm not sure what is inside it.

Hopefully someone else is familiar with it. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow.

Nater

Occupation
Plumber
So today I took some more pictures of the machine. The picture that show the most is from the back side of the right front wheel looking towards the back of the machine.

In the second picture you see the actual hole above the Pressure Regulating Control.
Someone else thinks it may be because the clutch springs are coming apart. I'm not sure though.
Any thoughts? I'm debating pulling the PRC off but I'm not sure how much Hyd oil will come out and also whether or not it will be useful.

imgp3280z.jpg

imgp3275.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's a better view Nater. Can't say for sure what is causing the leak, but that hole looks like it's in the area of the convertor housing, looks like a seal or something is going down in there. Only way to perform those repairs is split the tractor.

Nater

Occupation
Plumber
Thanks ATCOEQUIP, So you mean to seperate the trans and engine?

I've debated just pluggin the hole and see what happens. But i don't know that I'm that brave. I don't want to make it worse.

It just seem to weird that the hole doesn't have any threads or anything on it. I've looked through the manual and I can find pictures showing the PRC but none of them show the hole in the case.

So pulling the Pressure Regulating Control won't help me see anything in the trans?

Thanks again for the help.

Nate

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Nope, pulling the regulating valve will only show small oil ports for the valve. That hole is there by design, not accident. Sometimes, holes like that are atmospheric vent holes, other times, a hole to indicate problems inside, much like the case you have now. That convertor housing is supposed to be dry inside. If there's oil in there, and it's coming out that hole, most likely have a problem in there. Again, I can't say for certain, but it's a good chance something is awry in there.

Yes, it would require separating the engine from the tranny, what we typically refer as "splitting the tractor".

Nater

Occupation
Plumber
Well, Thanks again for the help.

I've got a guy I'm going to call today and see what he thinks. He works on alot of equipment.

This may be more than I can handle. It's my first machine. I bought it to use for site work while I build a house. It's done a great job so far but now might cost some money.

I have tools for working on cars but I find that they don't cross over to equipment due to being too small.

Nater

Occupation
Plumber
Well, I have spoken to a Guy on the phone about the 710B.

He is going to look at it on either Friday or Monday. I'll let you all know what he comes up with.

Nater

Occupation
Plumber
The guy has looked at the 710 this week.
He thinks it's the seal on the shaft going into the Trans. If it's split there may be other things needing to be replaced also.
Debating if I want to just catch the Hyd Oil and watch the level or have it torn down. Most of the work seems to be pulling the trans.

If I fix it I have a better chance to sell it down the road. Leaning that way but haven't decided yet. It's been to wet here to do anything anyway.

dazarooney

The guy has looked at the 710 this week.
He thinks it's the seal on the shaft going into the Trans. If it's split there may be other things needing to be replaced also.
Debating if I want to just catch the Hyd Oil and watch the level or have it torn down. Most of the work seems to be pulling the trans.

If I fix it I have a better chance to sell it down the road. Leaning that way but haven't decided yet. It's been to wet here to do anything anyway.

Did you manage to get it fixed?

http://www.cmrelectrical.com/water-leak-detection.htm

Nater

Occupation
Plumber
It's been trucked to the Guy's shop and he is to be looking at soon. I hope at least.
I haven't heard anything from him yet though.

I expect to know what is going on with it this week coming up.