• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer pulled Drainage Tile Plow suggestions

ilcorngrower

My father is in the excavating business. I work with him and I farm a little too. I am interested in expanding into being a drainage contractor. I have talked to many different guys in the business and have gotten different perspectives. Am looking for some info/advice on a dozer to pull a plow. Obviously pipe size/depth is an important factor in how much tractor you need.

When I was a kid we had a D8H that dad left on a big dirt dump we were running. It was a great old hog. I was seriously looking into a mounted plow on the back of an older dozer. Our biggest dozers now are 2 750 Deeres. They are to small to pull a plow. I was wondering opinions on D8H or D8K. Dad said the 8H had less power and not as heavy of final drives as the 8K. Anybody that has pulled anything with these types of machines what is your experience in a hard pull? How would they do on a contour? I would like to try and get started on the cost effective end having <100K invested in plow tractor and plow setup. Would a D7H with Diff Steer out pull a D8K in this application? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Shimmy1

Would a D7H with Diff Steer out pull a D8K in this application? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks
Not a chance. An 8K will have a 7H outmanned by 75+ hp and 20k pounds. They may be closer in actual production than those numbers might suggest, and the diff-steer will definitely be advantageous on a plow, but if you've been eyeing an 8K, I think the 7 will fall pretty short. A much better option is going to be a 8N.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB2

ilcorngrower

Shimmy1. Thanks. I know in a straight pull the 8K is way more tractor. I guess I was wondering if I am pulling around a curve will I be disappointed with the 8K. I agree that an 8N would be ideal but I am not sure I can afford that option right now. I was looking at a Deere 850 which most of our equipment now is Deere/Hitachi from a dealer relationship standpoint. But dollar for pound of horsepower and the ability to find parts I thought an older 8K would be a decent option. We have a lot of 2-4 percent slope in my area so pretty rolling and hilly. Good heavy soil with clay subsoil for the most part some timber/clay top soils too. No sand.

Tinkerer

If the grousers have very much wear on an 8K you will be very disappointed pulling in a curve. Especially if the plow is very deep. That is when differential steering really is an advantage.
I never have pulled a tile plow but I have put many hours on 8k's and 8N's.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’ve been dozer shopping recently. (Don’t ask why lol). There are some deals out there on 8N’s and even larger 9’s if you have a way to move them. I agree a 7 will just end up irritating you.

Oh and from a repair standpoint the high track machines are waaaay easier if you have to get into finals or steering brakes/clutches. Even trans and pump work is easier. We all know stuff is gonna break.

Reactions: DB2

Mother Deuce

I know nothing about plowing besides having done it a few times. My friends for sometime plowed with 6's or 7's ag cat and clutch machines. They if memory serves me plowed one way one year and the opposite the next to try to equalize their wear issues. If one is to plow with an 8 will the trans take the heat and will the rollers take the side load?

Shimmy1

I know nothing about plowing besides having done it a few times. My friends for sometime plowed with 6's or 7's ag cat and clutch machines. They if memory serves me plowed one way one year and the opposite the next to try to equalize their wear issues. If one is to plow with an 8 will the trans take the heat and will the rollers take the side load?
He is talking about pulling a tile plow, not a lot different from pulling a ripper. th(6).jpg

B.e.d77

There is a guy around my area that has a bron plow mounted behind a 850 deere and gets along great he did add some weight to the front. Also has bolt on grouser

Shimmy1

The size of pipe he is going to be plowing will be the biggest factor in this equation. If he's only plowing 4-6", a 7H will more than likely handle it just fine. Eight inch and larger will be tough, if not impossible over a few feet in depth I'm thinking, unless his soil pulls easy.

B.e.d77

Yea that's very true if your getting paid by the foot you don't want to spend a bunch of time pre ripping just to put 4" in.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
What does the soil profile look like in your area. I can tell you with certainty, the soil type governs what you need to pull with more than anything else. If you are in deep black dirt, you can easily pull 12" pipe 5' deep with a 6R no problem. As your clay content goes up, so does the pulling force, until you get to prehistoric clay that will bring an 8R to its knees.
Turning is always an issue if its wet. In these cases what works really well is hook a 750 on the front and use it to steer. Let the plow just pull straight forward. You make good progress that way.

clearprop

My father is in the excavating business. I work with him and I farm a little too. I am interested in expanding into being a drainage contractor. I have talked to many different guys in the business and have gotten different perspectives. Am looking for some info/advice on a dozer to pull a plow. Obviously pipe size/depth is an important factor in how much tractor you need.

When I was a kid we had a D8H that dad left on a big dirt dump we were running. It was a great old hog. I was seriously looking into a mounted plow on the back of an older dozer. Our biggest dozers now are 2 750 Deeres. They are to small to pull a plow. I was wondering opinions on D8H or D8K. Dad said the 8H had less power and not as heavy of final drives as the 8K. Anybody that has pulled anything with these types of machines what is your experience in a hard pull? How would they do on a contour? I would like to try and get started on the cost effective end having <100K invested in plow tractor and plow setup. Would a D7H with Diff Steer out pull a D8K in this application? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

If you are looking to add a machine specifically for plowing, take a look at getting a Bron Self propelled 550 or something. It would have the weight distributed better for pulling. If you have potential other uses for a Huge dozer then maybe go that route but don't go buy a dedicated dozer for that specific work.

Shimmy1

If you are looking to add a machine specifically for plowing, take a look at getting a Bron Self propelled 550 or something. It would have the weight distributed better for pulling. If you have potential other uses for a Huge dozer then maybe go that route but don't go buy a dedicated dozer for that specific work.
He doesn't appear to have more than $100k to spend, and you aren't going to buy a worn-out POS for that.

crane operator

Wouldn't a Bron self propelled be a $250,000-300,000 machine even used? It doesn't read like he's got that kind of $.

Look at that- I type too slow, Shimmy1 beat me to it.

B.e.d77

Idk how much you farm or what kind of tile jobs you are going after but a big tractor you could use on the farm and put a plow on it. I pull a soilmax with a quad track and get along fine until the 8" or 10" boot goes on then I need a Dozer on the front. But I doubt a Dozer alone would pull it anyway.Just throwing out other options

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
you are looking at kind of a niche market , and you don't want to lay out a pile of cash and not get your money back.
not as fast as a plow but what about a chain or bucket wheel trencher to start with , you can find them reasonably priced and get started in the business and see how it goes and then upgrade to a nice plow..
where I live back in the 1960's and 1970's there 3 bucket wheel machines and they put millions of feet of tile in