• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer pulled Drainage Tile Plow suggestions

ilcorngrower

Between my uncle and myself we farm about 5-600 acres. Biggest tractor between us is a Deere 8320. Cannot justify a bigger high $ farm tractor. Also cannot justify spending 3-600k on a Wolfe or Bron plow starting out. Looking for a step into the market for a lesser investment. I would be willing to even consider going up to $150K depending on technology a machine has. We have all the excavating support equipment. I am looking for a lower entry cost machine. I am not sure I want a trencher due to cost per foot. Watglen I see you have a D6R with a plow listed under your name. I am in an area with pretty good dirt, clay subsoils, but a fair amount of roll and slope. From what I know in my immediate area most lateral work is 4 or 6 inch. With 8 being a fairly common main size. Due to natural drainage from hills we aren't typical putting in huge mains, if I did every now and then I could dig them in with a hoe. How does your 6R handle plowing 4-6-8 size pipe in average conditions? I realize that is a loaded question because everybodies dirt pulls different.

RedlineDrainage

Occupation
drainage contractor
we went from a fiat 21c and d8k on plows to a d8t, I will never go back once I tried the diff steering. One of our biggest reasons for not going self propelled was service, if we need a part its there and winter comes we send it to our local cat dealer they go through it and we head out. In our soils its more about weight than floatation.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
What i would do is contact bron. They have a line on pretty every new or used plow on the planet. I guarantee you they have a unit in your price range looking for a buyer. Someone somewhere is looking to upgrade but needs a buyer first.

Tunneldigger

Occupation
Farmer with a job in town
We got the neighbor to help us. The 8 did all the work, his tractor was just a hydraulic power supply. It didn't have enough hydraulic power to outdo the dozer so we had to letup on the dozer and let the case pull some. I want to mount a plow on our dozer and possibly just tow a tractor for the hydraulics.

Attachments

• 2017121595092311.jpg
    2017121595092311.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2017121595090634.jpg
    2017121595090634.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2017121595090354.jpg
    2017121595090354.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 2017121595090302.jpg
    2017121595090302.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 57

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Between my uncle and myself we farm about 5-600 acres. Biggest tractor between us is a Deere 8320. Cannot justify a bigger high $ farm tractor. Also cannot justify spending 3-600k on a Wolfe or Bron plow starting out. Looking for a step into the market for a lesser investment. I would be willing to even consider going up to $150K depending on technology a machine has. We have all the excavating support equipment. I am looking for a lower entry cost machine. I am not sure I want a trencher due to cost per foot. Watglen I see you have a D6R with a plow listed under your name. I am in an area with pretty good dirt, clay subsoils, but a fair amount of roll and slope. From what I know in my immediate area most lateral work is 4 or 6 inch. With 8 being a fairly common main size. Due to natural drainage from hills we aren't typical putting in huge mains, if I did every now and then I could dig them in with a hoe. How does your 6R handle plowing 4-6-8 size pipe in average conditions? I realize that is a loaded question because everybodies dirt pulls different.
Sorry it took so long, didnt see your questions.

We were always really impressed with the 6r. I would say in medium soils down to 5' you would be too. Where the 6 falls short is when you have traction, power becomes the issue. We would routinely lug it down to the point it was barely moving, for 15 minutes straight or longer. Watched the trans temp, but it was never a problem. In good traction conditions, more power will propel you faster, but you still get there.
In poor traction, you will be hooking on no matter what you have really. We have a Bron now, put a 6 in front of it all the time. In your soil a bron would fly. If you have fairly rolly land, you benefit from small mains, and nothing deep. That is in your favour. Just remember, 90% of all the tile ever installed was put in with a dozer plow. The self propelled are good for making the job less taxing on you and your help, but the dozer still gets it done.
Forget any idea of anything on tires

Call bron, ask for Matt.

Welder Dave

We got the neighbor to help us. The 8 did all the work, his tractor was just a hydraulic power supply. It didn't have enough hydraulic power to outdo the dozer so we had to letup on the dozer and let the case pull some. I want to mount a plow on our dozer and possibly just tow a tractor for the hydraulics.

The tractor has to be contributing some. It's not a small tractor.

mark rasmuson

just bought a Johnson pull type going on a jd 8430 mfwd I have a Cat D6r to help pull if I need it the cat has to much oil flow to run the lazer system. wont get to use it till next fall. said jd is better to run the plow

Tunneldigger

Occupation
Farmer with a job in town
The tractor has to be contributing some. It's not a small tractor.
I suppose it did contribute some but it certainly wasn't spinning, the only time the dozer slowed down was when he cut the power to one track to turn to the west. His hydraulics wouldn't hold grade they just kind of kept going deeper . It kept fall but it got deeper than it need to be. This isn't for a field tile it is for a perimeter drain around the house in background. This was the first run we ever used the dozer on. The neighbor has only had a TD 15 on the front never one as big as ours. Ours is a farm dozer, we can drive it between our farms other wise we would have a smaller one its kind of expensive to move.