• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

decelerator question

Deas Plant

955K Decelerator Pdal.

Hi, Fabman72.
Welcome to the forum.

I have never seen a 955K or L with a decelerator pedal, only a hand throttle just inboard of the powershift control lever. As I understand it, they had a different power-splitting arrangement in the torque divider, sending 70% of the power through the torque converter and only 30% direct to the transmission. Most of the larger Cat dozer had a 65/35% split which made them slightly 'snappier' to operate but also slightly more susceptible to damage from not decelerating. Personally, I used to throttle down and back up with pretty much every change unless I knew that the weight of the machine was going to be working with the change in direction to lessen the shock if I just paused for a second or so in neutral before selecting the opposite direction.

Dozer575, you operate your mental D8H any way you like. I'm not paying your imaginary parts bill.

Hi, Knucklehead.
Yes, it was fairly common practice in days gone by to put some lengths of cable into the tops and bottom of pipe legs for a canopy, especially if the dozer happened to be working in rock and the canopy was basically only for weather protection. The cable sections allowed the canopy to move around without the legs snapping due to movement and fatigue. Most such canopies only had a canvas top laced to the top frame.

I'd love to see some photos of that old girl. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the A-C dozers. I think I could spare the time to read the story sometime too, if you want to tell it.

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
Gee Dozer575 Im not sure about not slowing up between directions. If a machine will last "x" long its bound to last "x+1" if you can minamize the shock loading. Whist it is new it might not be so bad but once there is a little bit of wear things can get nasty pretty quick. At the end of the day if the decel wasnt required they wouldnt put it in there. As for 3rd gear, its supposed to be used for emergincies only, and trust me when you have to pay for your own track gear you soon learn to travel very slowly. Personly I never use 3rd in ours and never walk it backwards or faster than one third throttle in second. On small machines you can get away with walking them fairly quickly but as they get heavier the wear rate goes through the roof. Just my 2cents. Cheers

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Being a wheel loader operator and not a dozer operator, why do dozers use a decelarator instead of an accelerator?

Rn'R.

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
Rocksn'Roses, I guess dozers spend a lot more time at WOT or a consistant rev, whereas on a loader you are varying the revs all the time. Thats my thought on it, but I have done a lot more on a dozer than a loader so someone else may have a better answer for you. Cheers.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Last year I asked on old "catskinner" (I think that's the term you fellers use) this question and he didn't really know why either. That was the only reason we could think of it's just that I thought perhaps you would have more control pushing on short runs and perhaps finish work with an accelerator.

Rn'R.

jughead

Occupation
retired
decelerator

this board has answered more questions for me than all the "operators" in my area have answered in the 20 plus years i have been playing with equipment. i changed the throttle on my komatsu 10 years ago so it would return to idle when changing directions. did it because i and the other "operator" had heart problems. if heart gave out it would return to idle. dont know what would have stopped a d75s running max throttle. always wondered if it was best for machine. thanks guys and gals. keep up the great work.:D

Deas Plant

Sensible move.

Hi, Jughead.
That is one very sensible move. Congratulations on recognising a problem and devising a solution for it. Now all you have to do if you do have a heart attack is try to get your foot off the loud pedal. It's good to hear of somebody doing a little thinking about their situation.

Hi, Nextdoor.
Dozer575 makes the comparison between a large CNC machine and a D8 or larger dozer. I have yet to see the CNC machine whose moving mass weighed in excess of 40 tons. Does that tell you anything about where this person is coming from? Personally, I don't know what he's on but I don't want a kilo of it. He has been posting some rather weird, way out and just plain stupid stuff on various forums under various names for some years now and most people on those forums would like for him to just disappear and leave the rest of us in peace to enjoy our machinery.

One of the wonders of this bloke though, is that he HAS posted the occasional good piece over the years, Trouble being there is an awful lot of 'Dynamic Lifter' in between the good posts.

Just my 0.02.

Last edited:

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
as far as i know of you dont have to decelerate in the series3 and the new T models if you listen carfully when you change direction without decelerating you will hear the engine beeing "clutched"out and then throttle a little down before the transmission take over and you will drive backwards without ANY shocks at all
and another thing is that every time your engine will have to thottle up it will use more fuel than if it just run full throttle but in some cases you will have to decel