• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I did. BXS block could care less what the Elog s/n is. Per Cat here, they connect to Data Link, SN shows what they are to work on, from there they could give a crap. Nearly all their reman engines are as 'Frankenmotor' as this one, that from the Shop Foreman. There is NO Stamped number on a Cat Block, ANYWHERE. The data numbering is on a Tape Tag that may or may not make the trip over time so they fall back to DATA Link and Processor number..

Truck Shop

About how much do you pay for the cores? And what is most desirable or sell-able?
BC Cummins--max is $500 bucks, normally I won't give more than $300. People have the idea
there worth $1,000 to $1,500---Not even. 50% of BC cylinder heads are either cracked or have
already been rebuilt several times and are too thin to deck. New height of head is 4.375 most
are at 4.345, minimum is 4.340. The other is the block may already have the worthless Cummins
counter bore repair sleaves, if so it's junk.
I did. BXS block could care less what the Elog s/n is.
Really the issue is 6NZ wasn't the only good engine, for some reason everyone got a boner over
those numbers.
Same with building a BCIII with 625 CPL---there are ten or so CPL's that are timed the same & use
all the same parts, only difference is the pump & injector settings, and the pump is nothing more
than which torque spring it uses, flow rates are pretty close to same. Turbos depended on which
jakes were used.
As far as B model Cats go----Really it's not the prefix--it's the performance specification {Perf Spec}
listed below AR#. For a B model the best perf spec was one for a 4MG-425 hp. Which I will look up
and post here.
What's funny about this the 4MG @425 hp---it was the boner maker years ago now its just limp--
Soooo Last Year.

Oxbow

It's the performance spec that goes with the 4MG. Because there were low & high rpm 4's.
The numbers I provided are from a 2328 bare engine high idle, 2100 full load, 18 degrees BTC fuel timing. The 0T7879 # is the performance spec.

Truck Shop

The numbers I provided are from a 2328 bare engine high idle, 2100 full load, 18 degrees BTC fuel timing. The 0T7879 # is the performance spec.
That's correct OT7879 for perf with a torque of 1450, What I'm referring to is the OT9250 with
a torque of 1550 and the only real difference is the torque spring in the pump, the rest is basically
the same, pistons, turbo, nozzles, advance spring and so on--the 9250 would pull real well.

Truck Shop

And back to Cummins.
Cummins built allot of stuff out of the same parts with allot of ODD CPL's. One that I really like
is the CPL 1193--odd ball, NTA855P with a engine serial of 11792720. Cummins built the 444
with low flow cooling which is a STC Step Time Control. The oddity of the 1193 is it was built
in 1995 era and is a STC engine with Full Flow Cooling and a special high flow aftercooler that
would have been found on a MTV 475 hp twin turbo. The 1193 was rated at 450 hp.
Cummins would throw their underwear at the wall to see if it would stick, I swear.