• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

Truck Shop

just never wanted to, and don't want to at this age, a mission/life goal for someone else.
professor---not.
For awhile. Maybe….
Had someone contact me today about rebuilding a long block 4MG-B model. Maybe/maybe not,
all depends on how I feel at the time.
That last engine is definitely going to be a high miler. It was stored inside for 18 years, a very
low mile Cummins recon. The truck caught fire with only 90K on the block. The deck & counter
bores were perfect, already cut for lower press fit with shims. New piston/liner kits, 6 rebuilt
rods, 3 completely rebuilt heads, new head bolts, new oil pump, new water pump, new Delco
starter, rebuilt compressor and accessory drive, perfect Std crank, perfect Cummins camshaft,
6 new injector rollers, pump & injectors rebuilt and flow matched-very snappy throttle response,
new turbo, model 400 jakes, high velocity aftercooler-cleaned and tested, oil cooler cleaned &
tested, machined 15" flywheel, new vibration damper, new piston coolers, timed @ 71 thousands
injector travel on all three 1,3,5. liner protrusion @ .006. Test ran-oil psi cold @ idle 47 psi, jakes
energized/tested. Block is a Big Cam 2 with large 1" main bolts, I had lots of BCIII parts so built
it into a 3, should make 440 hp, cummins built a few rated at that with same basic parts-nice engine.

Welder Dave

I didn't mean Truck Shop should necessarily be teaching. He deserves professor status for his 2nd to none knowledge and experience with trucks and engines. He's also a world class artist to boot. His drawings are on par or better than what Chip Foose and Dave Kindig do for custom cars and pick up trucks. He could have a gallery and people would pay good money for his artwork. Professor isn't a bad title to have.

chidog

Latest one on the for sale block--Very complete with Premco pump & injectors set @ 12% over fuel
match flowed. Roughly 440 hp.
Just saw it on Facebook Marketplace. Best looking quality item on that website.

I just don't get how other people won't even clean the trash out of cars and trucks before taking a photo and posting them forsale there, oh and washing the moss of some old junker trucks as well.

Truck Shop

He could have a gallery and people would pay good money for his artwork. Professor isn't a bad title to have.
Fact is--this a instant gratification world--people have a cell phone that takes all the perfect
pictures they want instantly, no waiting. I have people wanting art work of their personal
vehicles--as soon as I say it's $150.00 bucks the conversation stops. No, society wants those
types of items for nothing along with everything else. It's all about {I want it and I want it
now plus it better be cheap}. No reason for me to bother with generating anything from
the mind-----between photoshop & artificial intelligence there is no reason for me to try.
humans are a miserable bunch to deal with.

Welder Dave

I think there's some (maybe a lot of) people that would gladly pay $150 or more for your artwork. It's only the really cheap ba$tards that wouldn't. I think it could work if it was possibly at a truck or automotive show. Like if the buyer of your Mack put a show on with you there as the builder with your artwork and you offered to do custom artwork from pics. When I scrolling the internet last week a couple times I saw some guy advertising his automotive artwork and had a website. Pretty much every car was drawn the same way with the same background. They were colored but looked really cheap compared to your drawings. It didn't list the prices but really looked some guy trying to pass off his mediocre drawings as artwork. Maybe he had help from a computer. Have at least a little bit of variety in how the cars are positioned and the backgrounds. Yours are far superior.

Truck Shop

Just saw it on Facebook Marketplace. Best looking quality item on that website.

I just don't get how other people won't even clean the trash out of cars and trucks before taking a photo and posting them forsale there, oh and washing the moss of some old junker trucks as well.
Cleaning takes energy---the object for americans is to gain weight not loose it.
And the biggest issue--pricing. 90% of items for sale in privet market are way over priced.
Wanting every stinking penny they can get their grubby greedy mitts on---good thing is
they usually end up setting on it for months on end. Want to sell--then price it to sell,
otherwise plan on setting on it. The old BS of start high you can always drop the price---
items like that loose the publics interest real fast, Marketplace is full of stuff that has been
moved up 5 or 6 times over a 8 month period.

Welder Dave

I saw a 2007 single axle Ford dump truck listed for $41,000 a couple days ago. I think you could you could buy a nice tandem for less money.

Truck Shop

I saw a 2007 single axle Ford dump truck listed for $41,000 a couple days ago. I think you could you could buy a nice tandem for less money.
Yes prices are out there, vehicles are bad investments, but the idea these days that it's worth
more than original price is betting that a idiot can be found to buy it. Yes there are plenty of
suckers around, it all depends on whether a certain sucker needs it and can be lassoed.
Below is a perfect example--1980 aluminum frame--with a really messed up broken left frame
rail right at the back of cab. It's only saving grace is the BCIII under the hood. rto12513 not
worth squat, center point steer axle not worth squat, SQHD rears on Kenworth four spring
suspension-not worth squat. Listed for 9K IIRC. It needs 5K worth of steel rails plus labor just
to fix the main issue. Nuts.
IMG_0652-scaled.jpeg

Truck Shop

And the biggest issue--pricing. 90% of items for sale in privet market are way over priced.
Wanting every stinking penny they can get their grubby greedy mitts on---good thing is
they usually end up setting on it for months on end. Want to sell--then price it to sell,
otherwise plan on setting on it. The old BS of start high you can always drop the price---
items like that loose the publics interest real fast, Marketplace is full of stuff that has been
moved up 5 or 6 times over a 8 month period.
Just something really nice about the above statement--it bugs people because it's fact.
{people like being the f@ker not the f@kee, right up until the table is turned--.

Tyler d4c

Funny--I've had several say {not much call for these engines now}. If I had two more
I could have sold those today too.
Here there's next to none left other then beat farm trucks any thing pre 2000 is pretty much rusted to the melting pot by now. Unfortunately.