• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alaskan Logging Equipment, Left to Rust

Occupation
Sprinkler fitter
Awsome collection of photos of these logging Equipment...I can understand your hobby and passion of seeing and seeking out these machines ...I live on vacouver island and when growing up and going on hunting trips with my father we would stumble accross some old abandoned logging equipment ...that was usually the highlight of our trip when we didnt see any deer ...wish we had brought cameras ...Thanks for taking the time to scan and share your collection with us .

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Awsome collection of photos of these logging Equipment...I can understand your hobby and passion of seeing and seeking out these machines ...I live on vacouver island and when growing up and going on hunting trips with my father we would stumble accross some old abandoned logging equipment ...that was usually the highlight of our trip when we didnt see any deer ...wish we had brought cameras ...Thanks for taking the time to scan and share your collection with us .

Well, all the pics in the thread here were taken in the last year or 2, since I made the big -to digital - switch. When I start scanning the collection from the last 20 years, it will blow you away- I promise. I travel alot for various (business) reasons, but have been photographing this stuff just in case its all gone one day- and I believe it will be gone one day. In the meantine, its fun and brings back alot of memeories from my logging career.......

maxey6

I'll hurry and post a few more times then scan in those old pics of Afognak. I started out there with Al Schafer and Afognak Logging. We had 4 FMC's, a GT5 swing yarder, and a 737 skagit tower. We logged 42 million ft. a year with hand fellers. Whew! Evergreen thinks they are movin' a lot of wood (40 million a year) with everything mechanical! lol If we'd had a Tigercat LX870C and a 12000 logmax processor back then, I'm thinkin' 80 million ft. a year.
Contract Logger, my wife and I sat and looked at your pictures for a few hrs. the other night. I swear she was as excited to see them as I was. Just wanted to say "thanks" for posting all the pics.
I've got a nice Canon digital camera never really thought about taking equipment pics. You can bet in the future I will:)

Occupation
Sprinkler fitter
Well, all the pics in the thread here were taken in the last year or 2, since I made the big -to digital - switch. When I start scanning the collection from the last 20 years, it will blow you away- I promise. I travel alot for various (business) reasons, but have been photographing this stuff just in case its all gone one day- and I believe it will be gone one day. In the meantine, its fun and brings back alot of memeories from my logging career.......

( All gone one day ) I here you ...over hear on the Island scap prices are near $100 bucks a ton and every now and then i will see a load of some old logging equipment headed for the scrap yard...Being so remote up in alaska may buy a little more time...Seeing all your logging threads brings back alot of my old logging memories as well ...Spent about 12 years with Interfor /helifor in misc camps...some great times ...cheers lou

maxey6

Oh man, now you're talkin' old gear. Okay, so 42 million bd. ft. a year and this is what we loaded with: George Pietch on a 1978 235 Cat hydraulic loader, Dave Stolley (he's still out there running shovel in the sort yard for Evergreen) ran a '98 link belt cable machine with a cable grapple, and A.D. Wilson ran a 1975 Drott on a wheel carrrier! Holy Cow I'm just tryin to imagine what we could have done with todays technology!!! For road building gear we had a D8K with a single ripper, a D6C spread cat, 8 mack dump trucks, and 2 1947 Euclid 20 yd. dump trucks. We actually had some nice off highway 10 or 12ft. bunk Peterbuilt log trucks. George Pietch sent the biggest load of any truck to the LTF at Discovery Bay with 22,000 bd. ft. on it. Al Schafer almost swallowed his dentures when he heard about it! From then on I think the biggest load was about 16,000 bd. ft. I've got a few pics of it I'll figure out how to post.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Boy, I'd love to see those pics. Is all that iron out there yet? They had talked about burying some of it a few years back. I wonder............

There are still and awful lot of LS98's parked in Southeast in the weeds, lol.

maxey6

Most of the equipment was moved when Schafer closed the camp. He was hoppin' mad at the natives and tore out the whole camp including water lines, powerlines, etc...When he rolled into Seward with his barge load of equipment it looked like a junk barge that should have been headed south for scrap! lol
Did you know Bill James, or "Big" Bob Faust from Afognak?

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
That Salmon the bear has, is a beautiful fish! I'd like to catch some of those!
Thanks for the pictures, those were great machines in their day.

Driver625

It's a shame all that iron is just sitting, rusting away. Would love to win the lottery and travel up there to see it up close! It's to bad people don't realize that trees are a renewable resource and that logging is good for the enviorment.

Lashlander

I saw Al a couple years ago over in Seward. He's was still at it. I bet all the equipment he took off of Afognak is still at his yard out on Nash Road. I doubt you'll find much old stuff on Afognak. I know when Silver Bay pulled out they took all of their scrap equipment. We hauled two barge loads of Tommy's scrap iron out after he pulled out. I think most everything else was buried. I was over working on the Anchor system for their stiff leg when two landing crafts pulled in from Icy Bay. They took what they could fit on them and left the rest. Talk about looking like a Gypsy.
It was a sad day when Thomas went down. We used to do a bunch of work for them. I always enjoyed going over to load Logs or work on their Mooring Systems. Kinda bummed I never took very many pictures of the work we did.
Maxey6, did you ever work with Fred Almandinger or Bill Neshiem? They were Mechanics for Afognak Logging.
That old 22B Shovel in Skagway is in nice condition for as long as it has set there. If I could have figured out how to get it to the Barge last fall I'd a swiped it!

maxey6

I heard Al got rid of most everything but the old D8K. KMC bought the FMC's, Klukwan got the 250' barge, and I heard he sold the tugboat the Cygnet somewhere in Alaska. Lashlander, are you a Lash, or do you work for Lash Corp?
Almandinger was there as a mechanic in the shop, Sang E. Sue and Charley Winters were the field mechanics when I was out there. I don't know Bill Neshiem, but he must be related to David Neshiem who is going to be doing some consulting for us on Afognak.
I sure hate to see the oldtime loggers pack it in, but maybe some of us can take up the slack and keep things goin'. Nothin' I like better 'en getting under some Earth Firster, greenies skin! lol
I have a question I'd like to pose to this board. Do you think the Gildersleeve's, the Buhler's, the Seley's, the Thomas's, the Whitestone's, the Browning's, the Derry's of the logging world are getting out because it's all over, or they know something we don't, or do you think they just aren't willing to change with the times and figure it's time to get out?
You guy's work on that, and I'll scan some pics from the old days. lol
I'd really like to hear everyone's comments on the subject.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I was talking with Steve Seley 2 weeks ago on the Ketchikan Airport ferry- he was headed South to Olympia to the RB Auction, I was headed North to Juneau on business. He doesnt want to be out, or get out, but just doesn't have the timber supply he needs to continue the investment. I had lunch in Wrangell at the Diamond C Cafe with D. Buler last Friday. He would still be logging if it were up to him, but has too many medical and other issues in his way. He flew back to Kelso to be with Betty that afternoon and is there right now if you want to call him. I talked to Wayne Browning this morning, (funny you mentioned him) called him just to chat. I like Wayne Browning, and we are both old SW Washington loggers, as is D.B. Wayne would like nothing better than to be logging, but logging doesnt pay the kind of guaranteed money he is making now as a consultant. He was in Hydaburg at 9am but headed out to Kasaan to look at a job (USFS/Tribal, non-logging job I might add).

Wane B, Ben Thomas, and myself were all on various parts of Mt St Helens after the big bang, but eventually we were all drawn North to Alaska. For some of us it worked out well, for others it didnt.

These fellows, just like me, would rather be logging full speed ahead. But, we cant. No available timber, pisspoor available labor, high insurance and fuel overhead, and on and on. So each of us has figured out an easier way to make a better living, and we do still miss the smell of the landing every morning at sunrise.

Every October the Alaska Forest Association meets and we all get to drink beer and tell lies of old logging. We could all put together 3 sides worth of gear by the end of next week, easily. But why? to take where? and be run by who? --Hell, we're the only ones who would show up in the morning, on time, and ready to go. Posting pictures and memories is much better than trying to figure out which one of the crew isnt going to pass his next **** test, and worrying who he might injure or kill.

For a list of contact info for each of these gents, PM me and I'll hook you up.

One of these days I may put a couple of books together. One on the St Helens story- before, during, and after. (see my pics of all that in the 'this is for folks who hate dozers' thread. The other book would be on the great Alaska Timber Industry, 1900-2000.

Sorry fellows, that ran too long.

DiggerDude19

Occupation
Westrac Canberra
Great post Contract logging Its a shame that THEY LEFT ALL THAT EQUIPMENT BUT STILL ITS BETTER THEN BEING SCRAPPED WHICH IS FAR THE WORST FOR ANY TYPE OF EQUIPMENT ALSO IS THERE ANY EQUIPMENT FOR SALE AND IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE PHOTOS OF ANYTHING PLEASE POST THEM
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!
DIGGERDUDE

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I own a home in near Longview/Kelso Washington, which is where all me good pics are at- all on film and will need to be scanned, but thousands and thousands of them to be sure. I cannot run this computer equipment near as fast as the logging equipment, so If you check out this forum in 5 years I assure you I'll still be scanning and posting and wont be near done, lol.

I was looking for a spec on a machine when I found this forum.
Then I was a guest for about a month, I guess.
Eventually, I signed up and got sucked in.
My old lady calls you guys my 'invisible/pretend friends', lol!

Whatever......This is fun, whether she believes me, or not.

maxey6

Contract Logger it's funny we've never met...It seems as though with the invention of the feller buncher, the processor, and other mechanical harvesting machines a guy could find enough guys to put together a crew. I remember we had 40 cutters working 6 days a week on Afognak. Today two feller bunchers and two processors could do the same work, only faster.

I appreciate your offer of contact numbers, but I believe I have most everyone. Hollar if you're looking for anyone, I have a fancy computer program that is flawless. lol

I'll be in Ketchikan as soon as Steve Seley gets back from Washington DC chewing out the feds about timber supply.

Also headed out to POW to try and jew Larry Derry out of a couple of log trucks. I have a lunch planned with Don Koenigs from the Mental Health Trust. Do you remember him from his 17 years on POW with Valentine and KPC?

Then I'm driving over to Longview to see my sister who is fighting cancer(she needs prayer), and stop in and have lunch with the Buhlers. lol I'm trying to talk him out of the floating camp and some 988's. Then up to Bellevue, Wa. to meet with Alaska Pacific.

Robert Duvall loved the "fresh smell of nalpam in the morning," I love the fresh smell of a diesel engine when you first fire it up on a cold morning, and the smell from fresh felled trees. lol

I'm almost embarrassed to post some old logging pics after seeing all of your high quality digital photo's, but keep in mind my pics were taken in 1980 and 1981.

Last edited:

maxey6

I can't believe I still have these pics around after 30 years but here they are.

1. Jim Neil from Coos Bay, OR on a 220CA FMC.
2. Same FMC
3. Crazy George Phillips with a Kodiak Brown bear he shot near Portage Lake

Attachments

• 220FMC and George's Bear 001.jpg
    220FMC and George's Bear 001.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 4,856

maxey6

Steve Harvey has been flying this same 1947 Widgeon for over 40 years. Holy Cow I can't wait to ride in it again.

1. Harvey Flying Service at Danger Bay, AK 1980. He's still flyin' today.

Attachments

• Steve Harvey at Danger Bay.jpg
    Steve Harvey at Danger Bay.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 5,056

maxey6

Here's that Ultra Modern 235 Cat. It was the newest machine I think Schafer owned.

1. George Pietch on the 235 Cat. Man, that guy could load trucks, limb logs, tail for all 4 FMC machines, and eat lunch all at the same time. lol
2. We plugged the yard for winter in 1980 with about 4.5 million ft. George high decked everything with the 235. That way in the spring we had plenty of wood to load our first ship.
3. Mack fuel truck Dec. 1980

Attachments

• High decking at the LTF 001.jpg
    High decking at the LTF 001.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 4,863