• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Worn main pin

cat 302

I have a 94 cat 320L my main pin is completely sloppy. And loose to point I had to weld it on stop it from falling apart. Would ordering oversized sleeve and pin do the job?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Been out of Caterpillar land for a while but I don't recall them having oversize pins/bushings. By the sounds of it you're past that point even if they do exist. More than likely you'll be pulling the boom and having a mobile machinist build up the worn bores and then line bore them back to spec for new bushings.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I have a 94 cat 320L my main pin is completely sloppy. And loose to point I had to weld it on stop it from falling apart. Would ordering oversized sleeve and pin do the job?
And some welding and machining and cussing and a wheelbarrow full of money. Good time to fix the cracked boom, too.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Would ordering oversized sleeve and pin do the job?
There is no such thing as an oversized pin/bushing. The accepted form of repair is to build up and line bore the end of the stick and install new bushings. At that point a new standard size pin will work.

Post a Serial Number I can come up with some parts illustrations and Part Numbers which will be useful even if you go for aftermarket parts as opposed to OEM.

uptight excavating

If I am wrong don't hesitate to shoot me down, BUT I always understood that it was called ALIGN boring not LINE boring because the boring process aligned everthing back in place. Just saying that's all. I will wait to see how long I survive without a beating. lol

uptight excavating

Yep Should have seen this coming when I opened my big mouth. Around my parts we refer to it as align boring and if you google that there are lots of machine shops that offer it. Over and out.

skyking1

no worries, no need to get uptight about it :)
That pin and group of bushings is the last ones I have to do on the 120. They are loosey goosey.