• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

work pics

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
He must be using that expanding stuff that he meantioned doing that basement dig.

Hopefully you don't have the pressures of completing the job and get fines for delays.

Its amazing how city engineers want you to perform miracles doing jobs the hard way.

I imagine there is miles and miles of water and sewer lines that need replacing in New York city.

cat320

Charter Member
I have never used that expanding stuff but from what i see in the trench is where will the rock expand to?? the only place is up? not like that open site where you drilled filled and the rock when side ways.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Well i am working by the day drilling and using a hydraulic splitter. That what I told the prime contractor I can crack the rock no problem but you still need a hammer to hammer the cracks and free the rock. Right now I am also using my 900 LB hammer we are using it until we get stoped or get approvalls to use it. You are right when doing mass excavtion the rock has some where to go when doing trench work it is a lot more dificult.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Something completely different

Here's something you don't see too often:
When the Navy built the base here they knocked down and covered all the headstones in the graveyard. A relative of mine has been resetting them (with the Navy's permission) and I helped him with some that were too big for him to move by block and tackle. Headstone itself was about a ton. Graves date from about pre-Revolutionary war through late 30's I think.
Bringing up the base:
100-0044_IMG1 (Small).JPG
Lifting the stone back in place
100-0051_IMG1 (Small).JPG
Finished
100-0054_IMG1 (Small).JPG

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I agree that was disgracefull burying the head stones :confused:

Those people served the country they should be recognized.

It must be a little creepy working in a grave yard alteast the Kubota isn't heavy enough to fall into any of the graves :eek:

In B.C. the war vets have their own license plates now for their vehicals to honor the people that served in war.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Yeah, think about all the projects done over the years by the government and private sector that had enviromental impacts. Half the roads we drive on today have impacted wetlands etc. Prior to the mid 60's they just did not care as much. Progress was more important to society.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Steve Frazier said:
What an honorable thing to do!! I'm surprised no one made a stink when the Navy did that, in NY the job would be shut down in a heartbeat.
digger242j said:
It might've been done in the WWII era.
It was done just as WWII was starting. The Navy basically bought a town and surrounding area which had a long established church among the houses/farms etc. Our base is a test center for new aircraft/systems. Supposedly, the Navy test pilots were superstitious and didn't like the idea of driving past a graveyard on their way to work, so the graves were mapped and the headstones laid down and covered. My cousin (pic with the shovel) knew that some of our ancestors are interred there and started a project with the Navy to reset the headstones. First phase was war veterans, then moves along from there. Should take him a few more years at least - all volunteers.

atgreene

This weeks projects. The previous granite rock wall repair pics from page 6 are in front of this house. They invited me back to do some drainage to the rear. Not the ideal situation, but it's what they wanted. I placed every rock in the ditch by hand. Hauled them up there one bucket at a time with the excavator then placed them individually. What a pita. 2 days into it so far and they keep adding extras. Great folks to work for though, they don't want an estimate just a bill at the end. Had to quit at 8 tonight, ran out of fabric and light.

First couple pics are of the swale to redirect water from the rear of the house. Fabric lined rip-rap ditch with erosion control mulch above.

One of the clean-up bucket, that thing makes ditching and shaping fun!

One of another driveway that I did last year and returned to 2 days ago for a tune-up and freshen the erosion mulch. Held up well considering we've had over 35" of rain this year.

Attachments

• Severy 9-08-06 014r.jpg
    Severy 9-08-06 014r.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 930
  • Severy 9-08-06 016r.jpg
    Severy 9-08-06 016r.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 926
  • Severy 9-08-06 022r.jpg
    Severy 9-08-06 022r.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 929
  • Severy 9-08-06 013r.jpg
    Severy 9-08-06 013r.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 935
  • Wilson driveway '06 002r.jpg
    Wilson driveway '06 002r.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 926
Last edited:

atgreene

It's erosion control mulch, made primarily of stump grindings. The DEP requires it or some other form of erosion control like silt fence. I buy it by the tractor trailer load, 75-100 yards at a time and use it anywhere I have a slope or need silt fence. It's amazing how well it holds up to water, even across paved driveways to stop sheet flow. Beats dealing with silt fence.

Here's a link with some info. http://www.kcswcd.org/Fact Sheets/Erosion Control Mulch.htm

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
atgreene said:
It's erosion control mulch, made primarily of stump grindings. The DEP requires it or some other form of erosion control like silt fence. I buy it by the tractor trailer load, 75-100 yards at a time and use it anywhere I have a slope or need silt fence. It's amazing how well it holds up to water, even across paved driveways to stop sheet flow. Beats dealing with silt fence.

Here's a link with some info. http://www.kcswcd.org/Fact Sheets/Erosion Control Mulch.htm
Thanks,
I haven't seen it used down here but it looks promising. I'll see if MDE will let me use it on a trial basis. I don't like dealing with the silt fence either. :thumbsup

atgreene

Almost done!

Attachments

• Severy 9-19-06 009e.jpg
    Severy 9-19-06 009e.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,091
  • Severy 9-19-06 016e.jpg
    Severy 9-19-06 016e.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,086
  • Severy 9-19-06 018e.jpg
    Severy 9-19-06 018e.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,083
Precious

This isn't what we build, but one of the toys that hangs around here.

Precious moving in new shear/brake press.
Precious moving seacan into grove for pump house.
decorated for Christmas.

These forum pic size limitations are no fun.

Attachments

• crane-004sm.gif
    crane-004sm.gif
    27 KB · Views: 943
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 938