• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

who makes the BEST dozer

Firecat11

Occupation
Registered Civil Engineer / Heavy Earthwork Contra
More Horsepower!!!

Hi Deas Plant,

Thanks for the comments. I wish I could have all Cat machinery, but it just is not in the cards for me. So I did the next best thing....

Just like many others, I learned to operate a dozer at a young age. The first tractor I ran was an International TD-14 142 series. I have cut many miles of firebreaks since I was 10 years old. Now, International was famous for building their tractors with lighter frame housings and larger horsepower. As long as you were not dozing with them they would run forever. Most all of the farming operations out here ran TD-18's and TD-24's, at the time Cat did not have anything in the weight and power range. I should also mention that due to the lighter frame weights, the tractors were favored in the farming operations for lower ground pressure applications which reduced the build-up of the plow pans.

Komatsu had the opposite effect on the industry. Their frame designs were heavier and stronger so they were able to install larger displacement engines in which in turn they de-rated the engine horsepower. Most pre-electronic controlled dozers have the capability of increasing the horsepower by as much as 30%.

All my tractors have been reworked to increase the horsepower. Usually it involves increasing the injector stroke, larger turbo compressor housing and changing the exhaust manifold. The D65E was the easiest. A turbo was added and the injector clearance was changed. They are the simplest to work on. My tractor still has the NH 220 cummins, while most of my friends remove that engine and install an 855 cid motor, usually a NTA 335 in which they de-rate to 250 horsepower. Right now I am set at just over 200 horsepower and with extreme service undercarriage you have to be careful not to spin the tracks.

The D355A-3 has an SD series engine that is based on the KTA-1150 cummins. You are correct that in the stock setting they were 410 horsepower. The motor is capable of 525 continuous horsepower in a stationary application such as on a Genset. But in the tractor it produces too much heat for the stock pistons. The tractor runs with 18 psi of manifold boost pressure and an exhaust temperature of around 1050 degrees Fahrenheit. The tractor has a 4 barrel multi-shank ripper. It usually pulls two 10 ft long ripper shanks that are set so that 7 ft is stuck out below the ripper beam. With the ripper tucked up the tractor rips with an effected depth of five and a half to six feet, depending on the quantity of hard pan.

Thanks for all of the comments.:usa

Note: All horsepower is referred to as net flywheel.

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Well I think its really personal preferance , but if I were to pick its Cat all the way , I think john deere had no idea what they were trying to do when they built dozers they seem way too light, all day long spinnin tracks even in dry, loose dirt, as for an 850 deere they arent too bad but still dont hold a candle to a machine similar in size that says Cat , but as far as Cat small dozers go they could be better the only ones I have really liked are the D3C's and D5G's or M's but D6 on up , for Me its Cat all the way , I have also heard that komatsu is making some great small dozers

ravenseye

Occupation
ex cat skinner
Best dozer?

Hello folks I have operated many dozers and found cat is the most reliable to pick out one is not easy however I did own a cat d7e and it was an allround machine and it would be an excellent machine to run today with the high cost of gas oil. The dozer being direct drive could work with little throttle on light jobs. The only reason I sold it was because it had been vandalised a few times and I did not wish to spend much mony on it. I replaced it wih a komatsu d85e and that was a mistake I can tell you however it would take all night to do so. Another favourite dozer is a d9g it would work all day and night not like the newer models which seem to be sore on under carriage. see ya

ravenseye

Occupation
ex cat skinner
Cat D7e

Uploaded photo hope it works oops sorry wrong photo anyway this was a great dog

Attachments

• img 01023.jpg
    img 01023.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 982

ravenseye

Occupation
ex cat skinner
Cat D7E

Here is a photo of the dozer waiting for the ground to dry up to get started a top-soil strip she was pullng a cat 435 scraper however I managed to get a Cat s7 which was a better size especially in heavier clay etc.

Attachments

• img 01016.jpg
    img 01016.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:
Hey everyone! Nice looking forum with some interesting topics and users. U can prob guess what i do for a living by my username. Its a pretty interesting Job to say the least and yes i am partial to CAT even though my Dad only runs komatsu dozers. ( always a painfull subject to explain to my boss lol I would be really interested in some unbias feedback for our new lineup such as the K series dozers and the M series blades. (even though i think i might be better off asking for a kick in the nutts for the latter). If i start getting bashed to bad ill just post up Phils cell phone number since he was the head consultant for the M series lol. He likes it when u call him real late lol.

mntman552

Cat for me. Started out operating a d3 c and d4 c series 2. Moved up to an D7H and an D8k. Then to an 8r. Now I mainly run an D11 in the production push. We have R models and just got a couple T's. Had a chance to run one of the new ones the last couple nites. The new cab design is alot nicer you can see alot more in the front. having the caes screen low on the dash is nice so u dont have to have it in the front window. The HID lights are really nice the seem about 10 times brighter than our other dozer lights. Other than that not alot different than the R models maybe just a little more power. The catwalk on the back of the fuel tank also reduces a little visibility for ripping but its minor.

MUDSLINGERS

Occupation
Finish dozer operator
Hey CATDEMONSTR8R get ahold of me!!! I run alot of kom and volvo and we could do alot of swapping info!! Here where I'm from is pretty much all komatsu or j.d... Me personaly, I just got a new 51 Komatsu and love it get a hold of me, we could do some damage!!!

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Firecat11; Can you please post some pics for us?:)
I bet many here wants to see pics of your tuned up Komatsu's.

Maybee we can get some modification ideas....:D

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Up till the demise of the D8K and D9H, and the name of the company"CATERPILLAR TRACTOR COMPANY", Caterpillar was the best for large tractors.
Since the end of those nice dozers and the company name, Komatsu took over the best large dozer.
I think that Cat is going to start a downward trend in its equipment quality soon. And who knows who will have the best dozer in the future. I guess it will be who ever keeps its manufacturing at home and doesn't send it all to china. Cat has already given up on making class 8 truck engines, whats next?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Bob, everyone here is getting tired of your rant. Without some kind of explanation to your opinion, which you have not done here, you have no credibility. That being said, I am truly beginning to believe that your only purpose here is to cause distention on the Board and it WILL NOT be tolerated.

This is your final warning, and I've made it public here so everyone knows that we've all had enough. Unless you have something constructive to add to a thread, you would be better served to remain silent.

catchick

Occupation
Dozer operator
I think john deere had no idea what they were trying to do when they built dozers they seem way too light, all day long spinnin tracks even in dry, loose dirt, as for an 850 deere they arent too bad but still dont hold a candle to a machine similar in size that says Cat ,

NU UH. My 850 isn't too light, she don't spin no matter what i'm in, and i've packed coal springs on top of some serious mud, she walks through and then some.:p

I am a firm believer in "It's all in the operator" My boss one day decided he would come and help me for a bit out of sheer boredom, and that's when we realised when my boss runs the D6H XL next to my 850J even he says he looks foolish compared to me. My 850 pushes circles around him, (We were pushing O/B from the haul trucks, clay, coal and gravel) it levels better and has a way cuter operator in it;). And that right there is a fact.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
NU UH. My 850 isn't too light, she don't spin no matter what i'm in, and i've packed coal springs on top of some serious mud, she walks through and then some.:p

I am a firm believer in "It's all in the operator" My boss one day decided he would come and help me for a bit out of sheer boredom, and that's when we realised when my boss runs the D6H XL next to my 850J even he says he looks foolish compared to me. My 850 pushes circles around him, (We were pushing O/B from the haul trucks, clay, coal and gravel) it levels better and has a way cuter operator in it;). And that right there is a fact.

:D Amen, dont think anybody is going to disagree with that last line. As for the rest of the post :beatsme :D

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Okay.

I don't want to be banished from being able to ask questions if need be.
I enjoy alot of the posts on this site.

Deas Plant

How long for???????????????????????

Hi, Folks.
This'll be interesting. Anybody want to take bets on how long this will last?????????

How long will it be before you just can't help yourself, Bob?

Personally, I'm quite happy to have you continue to post here as the odd one or two of your posts do have some merit. Trouble is, you post an awful lot of posts with lesser value between them.

And where are your photos?

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
Gday all, This one is for Deas- I was reading a few posts ago and you made mention of land clearing in the south west of WA. I was wondering if the D9E that you talked about belonged to the Moore family as they did a heck of a lot back then. (they also purchased the 1st D9 into WA). Old Lionel Moore (dec) was one of the finest on a dozer. thankyou.

Deas Plant

The Moore's

Hi, Nextdoor.
Welkum too ther forum.

Yep, it was the Moore Brothers of whom I spoke. I worked for Cec Moore for a short time in about 1966, running a Cat D7 17A, doing some clearing on his own farm. It had one of the most cantankerous pilot motors that I have ever come across. IF you covered it at night with a wheat bag or similar, you could usually get it going with only about 3/4 of an hour of cranking. Leave it uncovered and you could be there cranking for 1 1/2 hours to get it started.

I think they bought the first TWO D9's into Western Australia. As I understand it, they bought the pair of them to go chaining in the heavy timber of South-west W.A., using a 3" anchor chain. At times, they used Cec's D7 as a chaser. I never got stuck with that job. I never did get to run either of those D9's either.