• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which technique is easier on excavator?

Hendrik

(1) back up the hill and keep the machine level by digging over over the back of the machine with the blade lower than the machine to keep it somewhat level. I understand this may stress my tracks by backing up the hill and digging over the drive sprokets is to be avoided if possible

OR

(2) drive forward up the hill & dig over the front of the machine but with the machine on an steep incline, slewing up and down hill.

Which technique is easiest on the machine?
I would go with number 1 as the problem with number 2 is that you are likely to tip the machine.
Working an ex when it is off level is a dangerous practice, as the machine has both push and pull forces during a dig. As you push the bucket in it will push against the ex and then as you pull the bucket out it will pull on the ex. If you are off the level you will not have the same digging power as when the machine is sitting horizontal.
Excavators are build strong enough to enable them to work by sitting on the blade and part of the track.
However if you can, build some pads to work off. You can still then use the blade for extra support but have most of the tracks on level ground.
To really be able to give some more advice we would need to know what you want to do on the side of the hill and how you plan to go about it.
And whatever you do make sure you think it through and make a decision beforehand as to what you would do if the machine does go. This depends on your surroundings.

Country

Occupation
Retired High Voltage Overhead Lineman
And whatever you do make sure you think it through and make a decision beforehand as to what you would do if the machine does go. This depends on your surroundings.
Very good advice!:drinkup

Aardvark

good advice

Atlas rob, Country and Hendriks are all on the money.
I've been operating minis for more than 10 yrs and thats good advice.
Bench out a bit, blade downhill, keep your bucket in close and low whilst slewing.
Always run through the job mentally first as there is often "more than one way to skin a cat"
A bit of forethought and/or planning goes a long way to avoid getting stuck or in a dangerous situation
Cheers mate

Aardvark

Tracks

one extra thing to keep in mind is that reversing up the slope will have the tracks slack on the bottom and tight on top.
On older machines with worn or incorrectly adjusted tracks, the tracks may jump a tooth on the sprocket, particularly if they are worn too.
Cheers mate

Aardvark

Although I've excavated in this manner for countless hours keep your wits about you and take it nice and easy until you get used to it.
Have fun,
Cheers mate.

Country

Occupation
one extra thing to keep in mind is that reversing up the slope will have the tracks slack on the bottom and tight on top.
On older machines with worn or incorrectly adjusted tracks, the tracks may jump a tooth on the sprocket, particularly if they are worn too.
Cheers mate
Very good point to make. You definitely don't want to throw a track on a steep hillside. I'll usually try and take a little stress off the undercarriage by pushing with my stick and bucket. Although, when blending that many controls on "shaky" ground, it helps to be familiar and comfortable with your machine. It might help to practice on small slopes first.

Hendrik

Cheers mate
If the tracks are that sloppy it is best to get them seen too before doing difficult digs.

Country

Occupation
Just squirt some gease in em and let her eat...:cool2