• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Washington Iron Works and thier machines

580bruce

Its a shame.Good company,good product.and a market fo it.When things like this are gone,we will all miss them.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Miller has completely shut down thier logging operations as of 6 months ago. Hard to believe, after all those years in the business......

All the yarders have been sold with the exception of the Thunderbird TSY-6255 SLR. This is a super-clean one-owner machine, so if you're looking for a good one this is your huckleberry!

This machine is Serial Number S-5181 and was deliverd new to Miller's on 8-27-1997. It was the 5th to last one built. PM me ASAP if you're interested because it's going to go away quickly @ $400K.

Also have some KW trucks, Link-Belt shovels, and a LeTourneau 6594 stacker if you're looking.

The Everett sort yard and Granite Falls Cedar Mill will continue operations for the time being.

What do they have for Link Belt shovels for sale RG?? We need another.

Jim1960

Miller has completely shut down thier logging operations as of 6 months ago. Hard to believe, after all those years in the business......

All the yarders have been sold with the exception of the Thunderbird TSY-6255 SLR. This is a super-clean one-owner machine, so if you're looking for a good one this is your huckleberry!

This machine is Serial Number S-5181 and was deliverd new to Miller's on 8-27-1997. It was the 5th to last one built. PM me ASAP if you're interested because it's going to go away quickly @ $400K.

Also have some KW trucks, Link-Belt shovels, and a LeTourneau 6594 stacker if you're looking.

The Everett sort yard and Granite Falls Cedar Mill will continue operations for the time being.

This makes me sad. I worked for Miller Shingle several different times during the eighties. Worked under every yarder they owned at one time or another. They were a good outfit to work for.

skadill

Washington 78

Took this a year and a half ago,at Dorman Timber equipment yard

Attachments

• Hope,Aggasiz.Dorman 114.jpg
    Hope,Aggasiz.Dorman 114.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 2,310
  • Hope,Aggasiz.Dorman 115.jpg
    Hope,Aggasiz.Dorman 115.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 2,237

BDFT

That machine looks awfully familiar. Not that many blue 78's out there. If its the machine I'm thinking of, I ran that for one summer in Hazelton. It originally came from a Twin River Timber auction in Terrace. I can't remember if the one I ran had a third guyline winch or not. I'll have to dig up some old pics.

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
6221269853_dfb6b1520e_b.jpg

6228261239_4941d13d59_b.jpg

6228263133_5385ff6963_b.jpg

6228805140_8c4114b5c0_b.jpg

6228795694_5bbe39688d_b.jpg

skadill

Washington TL5H Loader

A rare piece.From old rbauction pic from the 80's

Attachments

• DSC_0100.jpg
    DSC_0100.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 2,017

Rusty Grapple

A rare piece.From old rbauction pic from the 80's

A rare piece indeed! These machines were big and clumsy and few were built. A fellow in Washington State does currently own 3 of these today however, and I have heard from the operators that they would really really lift. Though primitive in hydraulics and functions, machines such as this made possible the smooth and reliable hydraulics we use today.

Can you post the Serial Number out of that brochure Skadill? I'll dig a little and see if we can identify when she was built, and where she went for you.

On thing I LOVE about the old RB brochures is that all the S/N information is printed and accurate!

I do have the TL-5H brochures and can scan if there is interest in them by anyone here--

Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Well there's a blast from the past. My dad tested a prototype TL5H at Vail years ago. Ran off a 6-71 IIRC. It was a maintenance nightmare, but even back then, my dad said it was the wave of the future.

skadill

Attachments

• Image-31 (Medium).jpg
    Image-31 (Medium).jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 1,764
  • Image-32 (Medium).jpg
    Image-32 (Medium).jpg
    286 KB · Views: 1,695
  • Image-37 (Medium).jpg
    Image-37 (Medium).jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,517

balecrone

That was a awesome post. Very rare images of the iron machines. The mobile loading machines will work excellent. They were fast and efficient. Less maintenance cost. If you have photos of previous models of mobile loading machines share them.

Thanks in Advance

wrought iron window grilles

tyeelogger

wa 88 grappple operations

Drive buy this baby on my way to work... Wash 88

Iam trying to find out how good a grapple works with a washington 88 swing yarder, I have heard pros and con about them, if anybody has any information would be appreciated. thanks

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
A very interesting old feller buncher brosure.

Attachments

• 0661.jpg
    0661.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 2,503
  • 0651.jpg
    0651.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3,308

Rusty Grapple

Washington Iron Works pioneered many, many machines for the timber industry. They built multiple-drum logging engines (steam-powered machines) as early as 1890, and between 1910 and 1920 built gasoline-powered logging trucks for work around Seattle. They built blocks and rigging and even designed an built a geared locomotive (similar to a Shay or Willamette). They built giant steel tower-skidders in the 1930's (Similar to the Lidgerwoods) and big electric yarding engines for Long-Bell and Weyerhaeuser- rail mounted monsters they were.

In the 1960's Washington developed hydraulics and though primitive the Washington TL-5H was one of the very first purpose-built hydraulic log loaders ever put into regular production.

The 1980's were a time of great turmoil in the timber industry, but Washington Iron Works pushed forward with this big, tilting all-terrain buncher anyway. I was lucky to know a few men on the design team and this thing was way, way ahead of it's time indeed. Only 2 were built under the Washington brand, and the company was completely bankrupt by 1986.

After the bankruptcy the plans and rights for this buncher were purchase by Allied of Portland, Oregon and more machines were built under the Allied name. The last one built was donated to the Camp 18 museum recently and can be seen there today. All the other (and older) machines have been scrapped, so it is the last one in existence.

I have been lucky enough to spend some time around these (Allied) machines, and have run them on several different occasions. I have enough pics for a dedicated thread if you guys are interested enough?

Here's the second Washington machine on display at the OLC Eugene Log Show in the mid 1980's.

Attachments

• Washington Iron Works Buncher 2 HEF JW.png
    Washington Iron Works Buncher 2 HEF JW.png
    511.2 KB · Views: 2,802
Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Right at the bitter end, didn't Washington Iron Works try to come back under another name, perhaps something like Tree Power?

I suspect they added a great deal to the profits of Detroit Diesel Allison, Didn't they also make steam ships' engines in their early years?

I believe I heard that one of the Shaeffer brothers went to work for Washington Iron Works for little or nothing in pay, with the agreement that he would be allowed to work in every aspect of their donkeys' production, and that he would also be given a new donkey of his own to log with at the end of the term. Seems like I also heard that, after that donkey hit the woods with Shaeffer Brothers, at least some of their oxen ended up on the dinner table in the camps.

Redwood Climber

Washington Feller Buncher Thread.........yep, a no brainer.......

Yes, I for one would love to see much much more of the coolest looking fellerbuncher ever! I remember when Washington first came out with this rig. If I can remember right.....BIG if here....... seems like they were claiming it could work on 70% slopes! I was amazed at the concept and thought man this is way ahead of it's time! I always wondered what happen to this rig, I knew it couldn't have gone too far or we'd have seen more of them. I've often talked of this machine and it's possiblities and people look at you like you're nuts! No way they'd say, it can't be done. 70% ???

So yes, Mr. Grapple, I would really enjoy seeing much much more of this truly unique machine! I love some of the things that people can come up with to solve (hopefully) the next set of problems......

Put it this way, if Washington Iron Works built it for logging, I want to see it!

YES.... YES... YES!!

Last edited: