• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Used truck suggestions

Tony_F

I'm looking for a used Class 6, single axle dump for personal use. I have fill dirt, gravel, and tree stumps to haul, plus towing some small equipment. Not fussy on the brand or model. I'd like to keep the price under 10K, any suggestions on what brands/models to stay away from, or what to purchase, mileage etc?

Thanks,

Tony

shopteacher 1

I have always liked mid 70's to mid 80's chevys. They are easy to drive and work on and parts are easy to get. Although I am not familar with the same era fords, I would imagine the same would be true. Internationals of that era are good trucks, but parts are expensive and sometimes, depending upon model, can be hard to find.

John

Tony_F

I have always liked mid 70's to mid 80's chevys. They are easy to drive and work on and parts are easy to get. Although I am not familar with the same era fords, I would imagine the same would be true. Internationals of that era are good trucks, but parts are expensive and sometimes, depending upon model, can be hard to find.

John

Thanks John, I'm looking currently at mid 90's Ford and Chevy's, anything newer than that is too pricey. I'm leaning towards a diesel engine, and would like an automatic trans, but will consider any combo.

shopteacher 1

Todays automatics have several gears and electronic shifting which make them suitable for this type of work. I am not sure of the mid 90's. I know the the automatic transmissions they were using in late 80's power company bucket trucks were real dogs and you could not pull anything with them. If they needed to pull a trencher or backhoe, they did so with a truck with a standard transmission. I do not know when the change in transmissions came about. A former student of my who has a wrecker business has a 2005 700 series Ford wrecker with an automatic tranny and it wil s--t & git! Even with a full load!

John

Tony_F

F750

I have a lead on a '97 F750, 165K miles, 429 gasser, Alison AT 545 trans. Its everything I need except for a pintle hitch. It has the factory taillight bar across the rear frame which may have to be cut off to accommodate the pintle plate.

I know with this engine and trans combo, it won't win any drag races, but from the photos it looks to be in good shape, the box is not beat to death, neither is the exterior. Decent tires. The trans was just replaced last year with a rebuilt unit. Input is appreciated!

thanks.

posjr408

I just bought a 90 international 4700 for 5g. Test drove it and it ran good. Took it to my job site loaded it to 26k and took off to dump. Was going 55 mph and as soon as i started going up a hill truck dropped to 35mph on freeway. After some research AFTER i bought it i learned the 7.3 IDI engine i got is a slug with 98hp...... Truck runs good on flat lands. I would say stay away from 7.3 IDI if you come across one.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Tony_F

Actually I bought the Ford, picked it up this weekend. Ran strong and is surprisingly pretty quick, drove it 5 hours home on the interstate at 55-65 MPH no issues. I have not had a load in it yet, but suspect it will be fine as most of my hauls will be on local two lane roads -- time will tell. Thanks.

rami1

Occupation
just started my own earthworks bussines
hi there im from aus (oz) and i have a isuzu fsr 9ton tipper bought for under 5k with a 5.7 ltr 5 speed diesel runs like a dream

Ray