• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Used or new track loader where to start?

Birdman2447

Like alot of you guys before you bought your tracked machines there can be many questions. For example as much as the ride and traction of the suspended under carriage machines is nice do I really need it? What size do I need for general earth working tasks? I won't be running any big hydraulic attachments so I don't need a 100hp machine with crazy fluid flow capacity. I am thinking a 75hp machine.

Is there a brand that is know in the industry as the most bullet proof? I hope to buy a slightly used one with maybe 500hrs. Or just swing a new one if the financing options are good enough.

Anyone care to chime in or point me i the right direction?

wyomingjet

Occupation
Staying Alive, Semi-Retired, Jack of most trades n
Only get a track machine if you work often in mud n sandy n wet sites. Most ride rough n tracks can be very costly to repair n aren't easy if one isn't equipped with a good acess to repair shop.
Although they Will out work a wheel loader in loose ground mainly pushing materials n such. Much more stability when on slopes n going up steep grades.
Wheeled machines are easier to maintain imo, chains work great in snow. Every unit features advantages from others, so do your homework, n evaluate your needs. I may be selling my bobcat 763 late summer with 514hrs right now. Need a larger machine for future jobs. Hope that info helps...Ty

Reece38

i bought a used ASV RC60 and love it, it is so much more stable than any wheel machine, and it floats like a snowmobile in the snow while having plenty of traction to push snow or anything else, in my opinion they ride way smoother than a wheeled machine, unless you break over point, but they dont hop and jerk you around like a wheeled machine. i would never go back to a wheeled machine (also keep in mind i have not had to do any track repairs yet, i bought mine with pretty much all new undercarriage) ASV seems to be a great machine for me, and i use it like a finish dozer

frogfarmer

Track machines are very nice and have a higher level of cost associated with their undercarriage. For general dirt work most any of them will perform well. The suspended carriage units naturally have more moving parts and more cost to replace said parts but can be easier on the operator and turf. I personally haven't been all that impressed with the suspension of the skid undercarriage. 75hp is a good size machine and should be fine for general work. I try to buy as big a machine as I can afford so that Im not needing to upgrade in the near future. As far as brand I like the Takeuchi machines. They are built rock solid have a good feel in the controls and are fairly easy to maintain. I don't like the Cat/ASV undercarriage machines due to the tracks wanting to tear and the moving parts needing more repair hour for hour. Cat has developed a stronger more rigid undercarriage than the ASV that likely is very good but I don't have any experience with those units. All the big manufactures are building rubber track machines because that is what the buyers want and any reputable dealer should be able to point you in a direction for your needs. Looking for a very low hour machine will likely have you looking at new machines and dealer support can make or break the deal. Don't just look at the lot and showroom also take a tour of their shop and see how they are equipped to repair and maintain your new machine. If their shop is neat, well organized and the techs look professional they are likely going to do what they can to keep you working. If the shop is a mess and the techs look like they are on parole well you get the drift.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
You don't say if your a contractor or home owner. If your a homeowner (unless your well heeled) a dedicated track machine may not make the most economic sense.

If your a contractor, they are just flat more productive in many applications which makes you money. I work in a high desert environment, and I wont be without one. You have two choices. The suspended undercarriage as found under ASV/Terex machines and CAT MTL tracked machines. The nonsuspended CTL type machines are solid (other than the leaf spring suspension option on some Bobcats), they are simple to work on, parts are easy to find (most run the Berco undercarriage components regardless of what brand machine it is). However they ride more rough, typically more vibration, and noise verse the suspended undercarriage.

As to what machine, it really depends on what type of tracked machine fits your needs.

I have a 2012 CASE TR320 and a CASE 465 wheeled machine. I try to pick the machine that best fits the job. I have always thought that anytime you have a tracked machine on a job that a wheeled machine could do equally as well, your costs per hour are higher using the tracked machine. However they are in their element in the dirt.

Swannny

Frog Farmer: that comment about the shop techs looking like they're on parole made me chuckle. I have a few friends that would fit that description whose shops weren't exactly as organized and sterile as an operating room, but they know their stuff. I've dealt with techs that appeared squared away and high-tech, but were pretty much incompetent. Can't judge a book by its cover all the time! :)

frogfarmer

Most definitely cant judge a book by its cover and I know several techs that I wouldn't invite over for dinner. If you have been around these dealers you know what Im saying. Some of the dealers have adequate space and resources and others don't. Even if the tech has long hair and tattoos a company uniform in good condition and reasonably clean goes a long way. Also with the just out of school ready to work techs some of them don't have a clue and never will but have all the fancy tools and latest bulletins from the manufacture with no ability to use either. Not picking on anyone or any lifestyle just making a point to look the shop over and get an idea what they can do if you need work.

Lindsey97

I agree with what KSSS said. starting out with a tracked machine may not be the best option financially, unless you really need it. I would love to have a CTL, but wouldn't want it to be my primary machine for everything. but I play with my skid steer sometimes and drive it around a lot on the farm.

keep in mind, that a wheeled skid steer can benefit greatly from a set of OTT. when I purchased my 70xt, it came with a set of Grouser tracks. I was lazy and didn't put them on for about a year. then I got around to installing them, and I was shocked to see the difference. I could climb huge piles of dirt, descend inclines and then reverse back up them, and I mow creek banks with them installed.

it is simply amazing what a set of OTT can do. and they are cheaper to maintain than CTL. But I still want a CTL just to see what it will accomplish.

lumberjack

For doing general work, a tracked machine is tough to beat. I'm usually in the bigger is better category, so last June my first skid steer was a Mustang MTL325, which is a Takuchi TL250 with a different door and paint. It's 12klbs plus the attachment with 98hp and high flow, but it's only 73" wide. I've not used the high flow flow yet, but I hope to develop that market and am thankful I have the option with the push of a button instead of a new machine. Pushing power on these machines are fantastic, I can push out and grade a semi load (24 yards) of fill in 5-7 minutes, a tandem (15 yards) in 3-5 minutes. I used my machine last year on an 8k yard house pad running up to 6 tandems and a semi per hour. This surprised the owners of the trucks who said they would have used a D5 for the same job and never thought a "bobcat" could do that.

Another advantage to going big is there are no major upgrades available. However, if they came out with a 140+hp, ~15klb+ Takeuchi, that would be a nice upgrade. In more favorable conditions, tracks allow you to put more power to the ground, so more hp equals bigger loads and/or faster speeds. The drive system alone can stall the engine in a heavy push. Lifting a load while driving through mud/soft ground also puts a good load on the engine.

Like others have mentioned, what's your intended use for the machine?

nhillin

I bought my first piece of equipment 4 months ago and knew a skid steer or ctl was the best start. Ive always been the kind to own the biggest baddest & toughest i could afford and im not into bells and whistles at all, just a radio for me. I stay in the woods with dirt, mud, & trees, so of course, I went with the Tak TL150, I couldn't find any bad info on them aside from their rough ride (but I wouldn't know the difference). I bought used, because 40k-50k wasn't in my budget. Gave 15k with around 1000hrs, rear roller wore out, tensioners wore out, tracks in bad shape, and smoking (plugged crankcase vent). My opinion on used, if you can fix your own equipment, used is a huge money saver, if not, I think 8 of 10 you're fixing someone else's problems. I've had quite a few probs with mine just from the previous owners abuse. I wouldn't change my purchase if I could, tracks fit my needs, and that rig is stout, does great dirt work, & man handles everything else I try to grab. Good luck.

Reece38

im like most of ya'll, more hp would be nice in these things. i wanted about a 80hp machine but the price of them was way outta my range. my 60hp machine seems to do really great now that i know its limits and how to run it accordingly because of the hp.