• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tyee Machinery Works / Skookum-Tyee

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
In 1981 there was a strike in forest industry . I was living in Victoria at the time ,we hit the bricks Sunday and by Tuesday lunch time I was running a Hyster Fork Lift at Yarrows ship yard. An interesting summer , the Hida Monarch had gone up on the rocks earlier that year and was in the drydock being repaired ,its huge Ive driven under it with a Drott Carry Deck Crane it was amazing watching it being littely being cut in half sealed up . Floated out in the habuor then brought back in the drydock the damaged sections cut out and new sections installed unfortunaty I got called back to the woods before the repair was completed . While I was down there I got to go aboard the Navys work barge they use for heavy lifting around the harbuor its equiped with a 3 drum Tyee wintch which would probaby also used in the woods as a slackline yarder.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
camptramp I remember those days also. I was just starting my working life at Nanaimo Lakes for CZ about 1964 and was sent to do something on a yarder with an old hand jammer winch. I don't even remember if it maybe had a wooden tree. What I do remember is standing on the deck beside the yarding engineer (no cab at all just a canopy) and watching the turn come at us. At the time I really didn't have a clue how dangerous it was. (kids think theyre invincable and I was 18) I did learn tho and retired with all my body parts. Regards d.d.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
donkey doctor It could have been either a wooden spar tree or steel tower that was during a time of change there were still quite a few towers around that had an old yarder winch off a wooden sled stuck on a new steel tower . It was good enough on a wooden sled with just a wing hanging over the donkey puncher its good enough now . Stan Harrison of Harrison Logging had a Madill tower mounted on an old logging truck in 1963 he never put a cab on it . Harrison sold out to BCFP around 1971. Cum Carly bought it and ran it for a couple of years at Sombieo until he could purchase a brand new 009 Madill on a rubber tire carrier .That was Cum,s style he would start with what he could get by with then then replace it with first class equipment . Nices Madill I ever ran. In the spring of 1976 I went to work for Ted Shaw at Sooke running an old 60 or 70 foot Madill tower mounted on an old Hayes pre HDX logging truck ,it was a hand jammer no cab just a wing over the side ,no jacks you just back up on the pad to get over center to get pins in the front support arms. It got worse it had been pulled over there was a kink in the tower was a joy to try to get the lines in lead with the drums . The unit had been owned by the Hillcrest Lumber Co. probably worn out when they shut down in 1968. I kind of B.S.ed my way into that job and when the forman quite yelling at me and Ted quite bringing guy,s up to check out the machine , I knew I had her figured out , So a couple of months later when Cum Carley phoned me up and offered me a job I jumped at it ,From the worst to best the over a weekend. Heres a little tale about Stan Harrison he was notorious for buying up almost used up equipment from BCFP Elders Kapoors he had a woodsforman handyman Cliff Haliday who could do just about anything and do it well .Also had a great sense of humor . One day he complained to Stan that his back was killing him would he get proper seat for the logging truck he was driving.Stans reply was .For Christ sakes Cliff I just gave you a new powder box last week.

Last edited:

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
keep reading the posts-- I posted pretty much the same in #24. good to see another enumclaw local on here ;)

Location was Palmer, Washington along the Green River. Owner was Don Walker of Walker Logging.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Any of you Enumclaw guys know if Tom Anderson from Auburn is still around or logging??