• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track wants to jump to out side of bottm rollers

parker05

HI Guys , so I did buy the TD7E that is in a few posts below with pics Runs out well and undercarrage is in super shape all the Bottom rollers are good , BUT why when on an offcamber does the track want to SOMETIMES (not often ) want to drop into the the Big outer flange of the bottom rollers ?till it snaps back into place But not without some noise and not good as you all Know !! Hope you guys can make scense of what i am talking about !!

parker05

There are NO rock guards on this but it went to the INSIDE so not sure that would have helped unless the GUARDS go on the inside as well ?

Barky

Don't understand that one? Arent the guards just to keep rocks from getting between the rollers and the track? The guards dont touch the track in operation. Can you explain a bit more why that would happen?

td25c

A full set of rock guards on a dozer helps keep the track in place when its trying to climb off the bottom roller.In Parker05's situation it's not that uncommon for a track to try to climb on off a bottom roller in a bad spot where the track is off camber / twisting in motion and then the loud popping noise is the track falling back in place on the roller or sprocket.After a few hours in the seat you will be able to feel the track as it's trying to jump & correct it by steering left or right or approaching the task at a different position .Good luck with the TD7E.

black60church

rock guards go on the in side and out side to, that could be your problem or you might have a bad roller, it is best to have rock guards on.

Oxbow

There are NO rock guards on this but it went to the INSIDE so not sure that would have helped unless the GUARDS go on the inside as well ?

Rock guards are called "track guides" as well, and go on both inside and outside. They are bolted to the track frame, and to each other with a spacer tube around the bolts (typically).

parker05

Ok, Super I am In need of a full set then anyone know where someone may have a machine that is being parted out ? This is just for personal use so I dont want to spend a ton >

td25c

Looks like some models of the TD7 had the full rock guards. www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9401363

You might get by with partial guards front & rear like on this model www.marketbook.ca/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9459819&LP=MAT

With the full set of guards you can run in some pretty rough country with marginal undercarrige and not have any trouble with the track jumping the bottom rollers. My IH TD25 has the full guards and the rails & bushings are pretty rotten.No trouble with it climbing the bottom rollers .I think they help alot.Only drawback I see is its a pain removing the guards when replacing a roller.

Mjrdude1

We have taken off guards on our dozers and never had track derailment issues. Here in Kansas the gumbo dirt will collect in the guards and during the winter glue the rollers so they won't turn.

I would take a close look at the front idler roller and guides, if the idler bearings are out, or the guides the idler runs in are bad sloppy, the roller can wobble bad enough to derail the track.

Just something else to check before spending money. Good luck.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
Also take a hard look at your track frames. Are they straight ? A bend or twist can cause your troubles.