• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

furpo

I was thinking I could have a guess at which contractor left that behind and that hes been doing it for year around the country. Does the front hace have wood on it?

Logboss1

Occupation
Ground based / cable logging contractor
Its close on 430 metres to the backline ,but the gulleys about 200 metres deep. The little T-Bird is maxed out but we'll get most of it ,the edge tress are going straight over the other side never to be seen again. And we are not doing it for free .Leave the **** we will do it.

JustLogIt

Just curious why the TMY50 has air over hydraulic controls on all of the drum clutches. The only thing I can think of has to do with the cylinder size that engages the friction and the fact that hydraulic pressure is at least 10X that of air pressure. Band brakes use air the whole way. Is this a common design on other yarders?

Roadswitcher

Just curious why the TMY50 has air over hydraulic controls on all of the drum clutches. The only thing I can think of has to do with the cylinder size that engages the friction and the fact that hydraulic pressure is at least 10X that of air pressure. Band brakes use air the whole way. Is this a common design on other yarders?

On the TMY 50's and early TMY/TTY 70's there was not enough room for the relative size air cylinder. From TMY 70, #7073 on, they redesigned the clutch and changed over to air. Not sure what was on the TSY 50's or the other small T/Bird yarders but the TSY 155/255/355 swingers etc and the TY 90 were all air.

Paul L

10570 - Apparently Tuckey Contracting has just brought it. This was in Gisbourne for some time. Previously it was in Nelson with Moutere Logging.

New to this forum, have only just found it. So a little late to the party on this one. The PSY 200 that Moutere Logging had I used to operate before Dale Ewers (owner of Moutere Logging) brought it from his brother- Mark Ewers (Neudorf Logging). I don't know where Mark got it from. I'll have to scan a couple of pics of it. This machine needed a little love, but could still pull wood. The spar was a little twisted, detroit engine, it didn't crawl as fast as it should. At one point the sight/temp class on the hydrualic tank went dark from heat. I operated this unit on Green Hill, Mount Richmond Forest Park and in the Moutere Forest all in the Nelson area.

furpo

New to this forum, have only just found it. So a little late to the party on this one. The PSY 200 that Moutere Logging had I used to operate before Dale Ewers (owner of Moutere Logging) brought it from his brother- Mark Ewers (Neudorf Logging). I don't know where Mark got it from. I'll have to scan a couple of pics of it. This machine needed a little love, but could still pull wood. The spar was a little twisted, detroit engine, it didn't crawl as fast as it should. At one point the sight/temp class on the hydrualic tank went dark from heat. I operated this unit on Green Hill, Mount Richmond Forest Park and in the Moutere Forest all in the Nelson area.

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum. When Moutere sold that hauler it went up the East coast. The story goes they had to walk it across a ford on the way as the bridge could not handle the weight. It poped a track motor either in the creak or close to it. They replaced the track motors and it now walks fine. After it came back from the coast it spent some time at cables rotorua. One of the jobs that was done there was to replace the track brakes with rebuild units from 10510.

Are you still working in the Nelson area? I have heard Dale is going to have a go at droping trees with his grapple carrage.

Paul L

Furpo you have some go info there. Am I still in Nelson? No, I'm now in Langley British Columbia. I left the bush 10 years ago. In 1998 I started out with Moutere Logging, then to Wanganui with Mangoihe Logging, then Neudorf Logging back in Nelson, then Wood Contracting (Ross Wood). I miss working with some of the thunderbirds. I got to work beside a PSY200, TTY 6170, TMY70, TMY50, and a little TTY 40 (I think it was a 40 or mayby a 45). The PSY 200 was the only one I got to operate, easy to learn on with only the main/tail/strawline working. Tag line was never working. Ross Wood had a interesting Madill, the only rubber mounted 171 built made.

furpo

Just a quick reply as it is getting late. Did Mangoihe have the Madill 120 when you were with them? The rubber 171 is now in Northland with Montana Logging. There are some pictures of it in the Madill thread of this forum.

Paul L

Just a quick reply as it is getting late. Did Mangoihe have the Madill 120 when you were with them? The rubber 171 is now in Northland with Montana Logging. There are some pictures of it in the Madill thread of this forum.

No Madills, all Thunderbirds (about year 2000). I looked for the 171R, started last page and went back to page 50, then started on first page until about page 32. A lot of pages, my eyes have gone square.