• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Throttle set button not working correctly

Ehkart

Background; I am an operator, not a mechanic and do not have the ability to make changes to the machine via a laptop. I have operated for many years. If I can find a solution to this issue, I can save immense time by advising a mechanic on hand to avoid troubleshooting the issue. I assume this issue is a simple enable/disable toggle.

Condition; I am sitting the machine and not moving whether it be my break, waiting for more material, etc. I set the idle speed at 1250rpm via the decelerator pedal, hold the throttle button for 5 seconds, release the throttle button.

Result; the engine speed does not set and instead simply powers up to full again. This issue results seemingly no matter how long I depress the throttle button.

As I stated I am certain I have released the throttle button before releasing the decelerator pedal. This is on a newer D8T with the DEF burn, older tablet screen system. I am unsure of the exact model. I have never encountered this issue before and as I stated have operated these machines for many years so I am certain I am using the correct process, hierarchy of actions to set the idle speed.

Any input that can shed light on how to remedy this would be greatly appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As I stated I am certain I have released the throttle button before releasing the decelerator pedal. This is on a newer D8T with the DEF burn, older tablet screen system. I am unsure of the exact model. I have never encountered this issue before and as I stated have operated these machines for many years so I am certain I am using the correct process, hierarchy of actions to set the idle speed.
Can you supply the Serial Number of the D8T please.? I had a brief look around but found nothing, however there are a dozen or so different models and I could easily have been using the wrong one.

Ehkart

Can you supply the Serial Number of the D8T please.? I had a brief look around but found nothing, however there are a dozen or so different models and I could easily have been using the wrong one.

The only serial number I could find may not be correct. I saw it attached to the delivery record. It read AW400706. Past that I don't have more information unfortunately.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
AW400706 is a good number and it helps a lot.
Please find attached the "Operator Controls" section of the Operator Manual. See the top of Page 19.

If both of those two procedures fail to work then all I can suggest is that when you have a technician with ET hooked up to the machine he needs to go into the Engine ECM Configuration Screen and check the parameters on that screen to see whether or not something has been inadvertently deactivated (or maybe never activated in the first place). AFAIK the "adjustable engine RPM" functionality is standard and cannot be activated/deactivated but I may be wrong.

Of course the other possibility that would need to be diagnosed is the possibility that the Throttle Switch might be defective.

Attachments

• Operator Controls.pdf
    688.5 KB · Views: 3

Ehkart

AW400706 is a good number and it helps a lot.
Please find attached the "Operator Controls" section of the Operator Manual. See the top of Page 19.

If both of those two procedures fail to work then all I can suggest is that when you have a technician with ET hooked up to the machine he needs to go into the Engine ECM Configuration Screen and check the parameters on that screen to see whether or not something has been inadvertently deactivated (or maybe never activated in the first place). AFAIK the "adjustable engine RPM" functionality is standard and cannot be activated/deactivated but I may be wrong.

Of course the other possibility that would need to be diagnosed is the possibility that the Throttle Switch might be defective.
Thanks so much for your efforts, the next time I am in that machine I will investigate the alternate method of idle speed setting. If that does not work, the next time I have a mechanic handy to my work area I will ask them to have a quick look in the ECM config screen. If that fails I'll advise that the throttle switch should be replaced as it's clearly not functioning correctly.

We are quite a large construction company with many operators and most just don't know or often are willfully ignorant of proper use of the machines or how to efficiently operate them. For those of us that take the time to learn it can be frustrating when others leave the machines in disrepair.

Ehkart

It might be a silly question but is the Operator Manual still in the pocket behind the seat.? It should be fastened to the seat back by a metal cable lanyard.

In my own hubris I hadn't looked but likely it is. That is usually one thing you can rely on for most of our machines to still have.