• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Something I've noticed on some D4D's

stathamj

Occupation
Electro-Machinist
Is, that the Hydraulic Cylinders are on the outside of the tracks on some and on the front between the tracks and hood on others. At first I thought it was because of the 6 way blade. But, I don't think any have a 6-way blade. Then I thought the older ones had them on the outside. Nope, the one I'm looking at 78A6767 has them on the hood and a newer one has them on the outside. I guess I'm wondering why and if one is better than the other? I would think, with them on the hood, it might give the cylinders a little more protectiion. Anything else?

James

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
All D4Ds had front mounted rams for A or S blades. There was no 6 way blade, however I am aware some aftermarket 6 way blades were made by beales, but they still used front mounted rams.
There was a agricultural 'toolbar'' blade this used side mounted outside rams. They could point forward for blade work; or rearward for toolbar work.
D4Ds are good sized tractors capable of a lot of work. There is 2 series of Ds early ones 78As had the D330 with 65 hp and lighter final drives; and later Ds 82J models earlier had D330C motor at 65hp and later 75hp and then the ones with a 3304, still 75hp, and all these have to heavier final drives. Our end of the world had Japanese built 65J models and these had wet steering clutchs. and if you go to a D4E these all have wet back ends and heavier bull gears again.
Have got a 78A and a late D4E and both have been good for what I do with them.
cheers merv

stathamj

Occupation
Electro-Machinist
D6 Merv, thanks for the reply. Hopefully if they will be there Saturday I'm going to look at a D4d 78A. Got some photos. But their not as detail and a little dark to really tell anything. They also have a Int. 125e that I'm going to look as as well. Hopefully they'll be there. Anything else of importance I should look at? I would have rather had the 83J series I believe. It being a power shift and all. But, since I will be using it on my property I guess it won't really matter. Just more levers to get used to operating at once.

James

D6 Merv

Occupation
Mate used to have a late 83J and it was a very good dozer and did a lot of hard work.
78As are abit undernourished but are ok. I put low speed 1 and 2 gears in mine [wish id changed 345 as well now !!] and that made it much better for dozer work
Dump the oil out of the final drives and check for any sadness. Finals hold 10 litres of oil each. And see if it has the small bungs in either side of the bottom of the steering clutch housing. These housings 'should' be dry. See how she starts and runs and gos. and of course see what track gears like.
pic of mine Rolling 2.jpg

D6 Merv

Occupation
old girl will work all day on 10 litres a hour of diesel. powershift D4 will eat double that !! But easier on the man and yes you move more dirt, but its all reflected in the charge out rate !
also got one of these too !! AC HD6mervs HD6.jpg