• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skidsteer Purchase

durallymax

I'm in a position to purchase new, or near new, and as I said, I will be demoing all units in the next two weeks, but I was hoping to hear plus and minus feedback from you guys regarding these specific models. One thing that "bothers" me with the John Deere (just looking at the site) is their lift linkage - seems awfully complicated the way they configured the linkage. I'm not sure if any of the other models have so many seemingly "offset" pins and linkages.

Can't comment on Deere's reliability, but coming from owning older New Hollands I'll say there is the potential for much more wear using that design. We really didn't go through as many pins as I would've thought, but you know they have some slop when they put rub strips on the cab from the factory.

The inline design seems to be much more rigid on our machines.

Any other vertical boom will have just as many pieces of linkage. The main boom, the pivoting chunk of boom, and the stabilizer. They all have a cross brace as well in the rear and much beefier components to boot. No other linkage lifts the way the CNH/Deere boom does though with the rams pushing nearly straight back then pivoting forward. Allows better visibility this way though and slightly better reach than the bobcat/CAT designs. I guess the new Gehl vertical linkage looks to be similar to the CNH/Deere somewhat.

In addition to AMICS on the CAT there is also an initial calibration the dealer can alter as well. The 299D has a big arse. Can't see much back there. The Electronic throttle, dual leveling, hydraulic snubbing, and other new features they have on them is nice though.

The CASE will most likely have the best visibility but IMO they have the worst serviceability and their arse and its plastic pieces don't take long to become misaligned. My biggest complaint from a bystanders point of view with the Bobcats is how they have to constantly blast you in the face by blowing the air out the side of the machine. makes for one cloudy worksite.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think your getting your machines confused Durallymax. I cant imagine the servicability being any easier than it is on the CASE. Everything is in reach very easy to change all the fluids, they even have drip eves that dont allow you to make a mess. Now if you are talking about the older series than I would agree. Also there is no plastic on the CASE. The CASE is steel and I have yet to have anything missalign. The NH version has plastic pieces on the cowling.

durallymax

I think your getting your machines confused Durallymax. I cant imagine the servicability being any easier than it is on the CASE. Everything is in reach very easy to change all the fluids, they even have drip eves that dont allow you to make a mess. Now if you are talking about the older series than I would agree. Also there is no plastic on the CASE. The CASE is steel and I have yet to have anything missalign. The NH version has plastic pieces on the cowling.

Im roping the Case and NH into one machine I guess. Now that I think about it I remember the Case not having the plastic. But I still disagree on serviceability on the vertical linkage machines. maybe I need to look at the bigger ones like you are running, but the L220 we had was impossible. Tall radiator in the back, tiny top cover on top. I'm 6'2 and could reach partway down the engine but had to get up on my topside creeper to get any lower but then the boom was in the way still. No access from the sides. No access with the cab up as the muffler blocks that hole. Starter and alternator both looked like royal PITA's. Inline fuel filter was not fun to change really either. I'm happy they made the cab flip on the NH, but with it flipping forward like it does, you still need to have the boom in the air to do anything comfortably. With our CATs the entire engine is serviceable from rear. I didn't mind that with our old new hollands I had to put my long arms to good use too, but the new ones just don't give you any options. The hydraulic tank on the CAT does block access from that side but can be swung out of the way partially without draining it, unlike a muffler that is scorching hot and rusted on. My favorite part though is simply not having to worry about always having the boom in the air. If I have a choice though I still put it up but at least if one of them ever dies It's nicer to work on with it down.

Give me one of your skids for a month to give to our guys scraping barns. They'll find a way to misalign something. I can't believe they don't have this one beat up more than it is. Smashed one pin retainer bolt off but thats all so far in 650hrs. I think the plate steel that sticks out just past the door at the bottom helps. They had the NH banged up in less than 100hrs. BTW it was the metal pieces that were twisted and caused the plastic pieces to interfere with the others. The plastic was surprisingly flexible though. They had the lights smashed out right away too. poor design there. The Bobcat and Cat ones are still intact.

Servicability to me means fixing any failure the fastest. Compared to the L220 we had, both the B and C series Cat's have given me the ability to perform regular maintenance quicker in many areas and should the need arise, major repairs appear to be faster as well.

The Cat's have their troughs for everything too. technically I think our old NH170s had a form of a filter trough down there, couldn't tell though. Most new stuff has them for environmental reasons more than anything.

A year ago we were set on Bobcat's, but didn't like the lack of service to back them up or the dealers commitment to the sale. A year before that we were just going to buy every LS170 we saw and keep running them till we couldn't anymore. Couple years before that I would've told you NH build the best skid steer and never would've considered the CATs. Ended up working out for now. Who knows, maybe the next set will be different, but despite the things we all miss about the NH's (controls sometimes, visibility, reach, and most of all the boom lock), these machines have been running very well and the service has been too good to go away from especially when listening to the complaints the others have about their dealers.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I guess different environments bring out different aspects of a machine. I look at serviceablity to be ease at changing filters and checking fluids. The CASE is as good as anything on the market in that respect. As far as replacing major components, honestly I dont look at it because I wont be doing it. I have not had a major compenent fail since the mid 90's on an 1840. If I do have one it will be going to the dealer. I will say these new machines dont have the steel in them that older CASE machines did. My help put a ding in the back of mine that would not have been more than scuffed paint in a 400 series. At the release of these machines they said that they will not be built like the older machines were, structurely speaking (cost of steel, being price competetive). Thats true they are not. The arms in the air has been the rule of the day for CASE since the XT series. I dont find it an inconvience. Once I remember having to get into the bathtub of the machine and not being able to lift the arms. So it can happen but it has not been an issue for to speak of. I broke the lines to release the hyd pressure and raised the arms.

gwiley

I am a landowner, don't do it for pay so my situation may be similar to yours. I have a few skid steers for use on the property and for firewood harvesting, tree felling to feed a 10 cord/year furnace. I have both a Bobcat 743 (wheeled) bought for $6000 and a Bobcat 773 (steel over (foam filled) tire tracks) bought for $10,000 and find that the 743 is great because it is small enough to fit into a horse stall, however otherwise I love the 773 with the Loegering tracks.

If you expect to use the bobcat in winter conditions I strongly recommend a wheeled machine with over the tire tracks. Tracks on ice are useless compared to tires with chains on them. I plow a few miles of road with my Bobcat and run it with a single pair of chains on the rear - unstoppable even on VERY steep grades.

The steel OTT are great on the yard compared to the wheel (probably not as nice as rubber tracks).

Maintenance on the rubber tracks may be more expensive than makes sense for land owner use - I decided against them because the machine doesn't earn me a paycheck - it just keeps me from having to pay other folks to do work.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Maintenance on the rubber tracks may be more expensive than makes sense for land owner use - I decided against them because the machine doesn't earn me a paycheck - it just keeps me from having to pay other folks to do work.

Smart move. You would have to be well heeled to own a rubber tracked machine without earning a paycheck with it.