• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Robert Jesurun

Robert, Believe it or not, your problem is more than likely your alternator. The starter has an extra small solenoid that acts as a safety to keep the starter from engaging while the engine is running. It gets the power from the 2nd terminal of the alternator. If the diodes go bad on the alternator, it puts enough power (voltage) on that terminal to keep the starter from engaging when you hit the ignition switch. A simple test is to disconnect the the wires coming from the alternator. Of course, it's not so simple when you have the wiring harness removed. This is a common problem with these little dozers and if anyone has one long enough, they will eventually see the problem. Guess how I know!

Thanks. i will put it back together and do that. Is there no way to operate an ignition switch and starter on a bench?

DannyO

Thanks. i will put it back together and do that. Is there no way to operate an ignition switch and starter on a bench?

I'm sure you can if everything is exactly right. I haven't figured out how All of the electrical system works yet. Komatsu does some weird things with the electrical....such as feeding 24volts to something and switching the ground to turn it on. Do you have your starter grounded? With everything hooked up properly, the starter grounded and the alternator feedback disconnected, it should work on the bench. Unless the starter or switch is actually bad.

Rien

Jeff, are you sure the left clutch is disengaging completely as it will be tough for the brakes to act when the rotating power is still active.

On my D20S, (exactly the same set up as your blue D21 proven the picture) I adjusted and matched both brakes by tighting the bolt (you mentioned) by pushing each brake pedal. While pushing the pedal your feel the resistence of the brakeband around the drum. That resistence AND distance to metal under the pedal you can easily adjust as well as the match between both pedals.

Coming back to my first question, are you sure the clutch on left is completely disengaging?
The distance between center of machine and clutchrod should be 121 mm. Due to wear and tear of plates that distance might have been changed resulting in less clutch activity.

Success and regards, Rien

attaboy

ROPS for the Dash 5

Hello
Everyone I'm looking for a aftermarket manufacture for the four post rops for a komatsu d20a-6 I cannot find anything on the internet if anyone could give me a website or place to call would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
John

Try Moore Equipment .. Jackson Tenn. I bought one from them maybe ten years ago for my D21P-5. If memory serves it was about $700 shipped to Cali. It came with the four mounting brackets, four tabs and bolts. You bolt on the brackets, attach the tabs to the ROPS, and place it on the brackets, and weld it on where you want it. On the Dash 5 machines, the front brackets go where the front lights were mounted but that's not a problem as I mounted FOUR lights tucked up inside the four corners of the ROPS .. vastly superior to the OEM set-up. You can avoid the pricey Komatsu or Cat 24v lights by just wiring sets of two 12v lights in series, or just go with the 24v ac/dc LEDs available nowadays. You can Never have too much light on any earthmover. Your Dash 6 has straight sides and battery access from the rear, but Moore should be able to accommodate you if they are still making them.

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
I'm building a set of rippers for my 1995 D21A-7 dozer and would like to put a 3rd valve in. This has the two stick blade control with the separate lever for the angle. Could I put another spool valve in line with another lever? If so how would I do it? Do I have to put a diverter valve in.

I don't know any thing about hydraulics, and appreciate any advice I get.

Thanks, Terry

Oldyellar

Hello everyone

I have a two post fiber glass canopy for sale for the d20a-6 models that is in reasonably good shape just a little rusty and is cracked on the very top I bought a four post canopy so I no longer need it if interested pm me and we will talk price I live in KY so it will have to be pickup only.

thanks
John

Oldyellar

I got the 4 post from a place in Jackson tn with brackets shipping and all was around 1300 bucks contact this guy he will help you out

Jeff maitland
Construction and equipment
1 (731) 554-1180
[email protected]

Post Oak

Komatsu d20 wont move

Hello I am new to this forum and new to dozers. I have been hanging around here for a few months just reading. I was hoping someone could help me out. I bought a d20-p6 dozer and was able to run for a few hours, like maybe 20, when the machine suddenly stopped steering. When I pulled on the right stick the dozer just stopped. I talked to Darin of this board who advised me to first check that the spools were all the way out, and if they were to pull the plug on the steering case and check for oil in the left which I did. There was no oil in the clutch because the plugs were gone on both sides. Then I decided I should pull the cover and have a look at the left side clutch. When I took the cover off I discovered the cylinder that actuates the clutch was stuck out so I cleaned it up and put it back together. Now neither track will pull. I have taken the inspection cover off the back of the bevel gear case and looked in to see the bevel gear turning. The clutches must be released but I don't know what I have done wrong to cause it. Like I said earlier I hope someone can help!

attaboy

Bleeding Steering Case? D21P-5 .. Hyd Filter info

Bleeding Steering Case? D21P-5 Left brake cover was removed to refurbish the brake crank shaft and add lube point. Now it seems that the left steering clutch is not disengaging the clutch 100% .. it will turn left with added effort and lugs down the engine a bit, and the right side works fine as before. I'm wondering if there is a method to perhaps bleed the left steering clutch piston system? I'm thinking perhaps there may be some air captivated within, reducing the piston travel.

The mini-pipe plugs on mine are 9/32" square male, and given that this machine is 30 years old, I have opted to get the right tool .. I don't have a 9/32" 8-point socket :) Grey Pneumatic (1211P) 3/8" Drive 11-Piece Pipe Plug Socket Set (Amazon) .. the 9/32" female socket fits Perfectly. Now the machine Is Functional, but if I can restore the left clutch to proper disengagement that would be awesome. I have already adjusted the lever to plunger to minimum spec (0.5mm to 0.0mm clearance). I've got two bladder tank pads to excavate here (20k & 50K) .. Cali drought stuff.

Filter cross reference hell. Now I swear by Wix filters .. and Delo 400 .. my D21P-5 has over 28K hours on her. The Wix cross for the D21P-5 hydraulic filter is A24A10E which crosses over to a NAPA version available for the paltry sum of $160 .. totally ridiculous. I did find another vendor online selling it for $70 .. still pretty darn pricey. I checked the threads and they are 48mm x 2mm .. humongous for a small dozer, but it is what it am. What I found is .. Fleetgaurd HF7935 .. fits perfectly. Found one on evilbay for $16 shipped .. sweet! Still in the shrink wrap stuff .. says Made in Italy .. go figure :) Apparently common to large Volvo and Hitachi excavators requiring high throughput. Online it also crosses over to Baldwin BF8906, Donaldson P502382, and lastly Luber-Finer LFH5941. Luber-Finer was bought by Fram, so caveate emptor. Hope this helps you guys .. spend your saved money on something less boring ehh :)

Vendor recommendation: Placed a $370 bulk filter order (8 machines, 2 generators, and 2 vehicles) from these guys down in Texas, and you might give them a look. As you know Napa Gold is Wix, and I got a mix of Wix and Napa Gold in my order, and probably saved close to $150 over what the local prices are here for Wix. Fleetfilter dot com. Cheers!

Dwbinc

Occupation
Unemployed
Do any of you d21 guys know why my left brake might have locked up, when the machine sat for a few months? Mine has pilot steering control. Will stall engine on hard right hand turn attempt, right track working normal. I have it on blocks, and cannot break the track loose. Any ideas, anyone???

DLMcD

I am new member with old dozer, D20P-6. Is there any way to adjust steering clutches. Machine will stall under load without spinning tracks. Am I expecting too much?. Shouldn't the tracks spin if blade too full? Could use some guideance?

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
I would back off the adjusting nut on the brake band if it's tight OR the linkages just got froze up by rusting and when you acutated it for the first time after sitting it just can't release.. Can't imagine it anything major given the circumstances of working before storing machine.. Good luck and kindly post your results so we know what happens.. :)

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
These dozers have no adjusting on the steering clutches themselves as they are always engage with the springs inside the assembly... THey could just be wore out and need replacing or oil soaked and need replacing. :( But in your case if both tracks stall (not spinning) under load it may very well be your main clutch that is slipping and needing replacing. Keep us posted on what you find..

Oh and WELCOME aboard. :)

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
What did you find Post Oak? Just got on here and seen then messages and now I'm curious. :) :)

Post Oak

What did you find Post Oak? Just got on here and seen then messages and now I'm curious. :) :)

Well I shot myself in the foot! When I pulled the clutch cover I moved the hydraulic lines out of the way and somehow crossed them when I hooked it back up. The tractor still wouldn't steer right after I got it put back together. As I was moving it out of the way I drove it into a stand of brush and when I drove it into the trees it turned hard left and now it will only turn in tight circles. seems like the left track is not driving at all now. I was almost finished with my project so I rented some equipment to finish up. After I get through the first cutting of hay I will get back to it. Hopefully you will be able to help with parts