• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Penny wise and pound foolish---GET

Dig_Texas

I recently picked up a decent CAT one owner excavator, super tight, no leaks, working AC, apparent good maintenance EXCEPT for the bucket teeth. I don't know what the guy was thinking, but he was having a problem with the teeth staying on the shanks. His brain-dead solution was to weld the teeth to the shank and then use a 3/4" square bar on the top and bottom of the tooth to help keep it on. Over time the teeth got so worn it looked like someone trying to jam a fist into the dirt.

When I go the machine home just for fun I tried to dig a ditch in our hard rocky ground. It was so painful that I stopped after a couple of half full buckets. Although new teeth, shanks, oxygen, acetylene and a bunch of grinding wheels were not cheap...about $800 total, once done the machine will be able to actually dig hard ground and when the teeth wear down I'll be able to knock out the pins and replace them.

Photos are the progress up to welding the new shanks which should arrive today.

Just never been able to figure out how someone can buy and operate a machine and not keep decent care of it:Banghead

Attachments

• dull teeth excavator.JPG
    dull teeth excavator.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 879
  • dull teeth on bucket.JPG
    dull teeth on bucket.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 867
  • welded tooth abortion.jpg
    welded tooth abortion.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 861
  • No teeth bucket.jpg
    No teeth bucket.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 878

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Another outstanding example of one of the many people who should be outlawed from having or getting close to a torch and welder.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
the time and rod to add the 3/4" stock most likely would have been 2/3 the time to replace the shanks ! again the simple things are not as easy for owners to see .

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I've worked for lots of people that weld on teeth that are falling off. One guy would even weld 1/2" flat stock to the bottom of the teeth as they wore out, but we weren't digging in hard ground. Thats a little crazy though if he kept hit bucket at the proper angle while digging keeping the teeth sharp it wouldn't of been as bad.

Dig_Texas

Two tanks of oxygen, one acetylene, 15# 5/32 7018 rod, 15 grinding wheels and a lot of sweat and the new shanks are welded on. As soon as they cool down a bit it will be time to pin on the new teeth and see how it works!

Welded shanks.JPGwelded shanks2.JPGwelded shanks3.JPG

Dig_Texas

Hey, is that an hyd thumb

Yes it is and is one of the reasons I bought the machine. I've had manual thumbs in the past and what a pain it is to pull down the brace, pin it and get back to work. For the work I do, I should be able to increase production.