• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Older Cat D7E campared to D7F

MattR

Any views out there on older 4cyl D7E versus Cat D7F with the 6cyl? I have a D7F and like it. How about power, fuel consumption, the trans and finals etc? Any pros and cons of the machine would be great. Are they basically the same tractor except for the engine? I'm thinking the big old slow 4cly might be indestructable and make the tractor last longer. Maybe I'm dreaming.
Thanks alot

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
There were two variations on the 7E. High horse and low horse. Low horse was 160 HP high horse was 180 HP. I am not sure where the break was in the series.

Have a 7E here which I have has since 1989. Love it to death. Use it to do blade work but 90% of the time it pulls a Cat No. 70 pan working with my D8's. Some times used as a push cat for D8's pulling pans too.

As I recall the early 7F's had transmission problems because Cat put the 3306 engine in front of the same transmission used in the 7E's which were designed for the big block slow speed 339 engine. Not sure when that was corrected. I know the 7F series did not last long before the 7G series came out with a lot of refinements over the 7F series.

Ajkc

The 7Fs were good machines if they were treated properly they did have there issues mainly with what you have said ,transmission problems due to the 3306 engine they sort of were the dud of the D7s but could perform well with the right operator

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Last of the D7Fs were fitted with a modified version of the D6C transmission that could handle the higher rpm of the 3306.
These trans are physically smaller than the earlier transmissions, but more reliable.
D7F is alot lighter in the nose than a D7E, this may or may not affect your work, but easiest way to improve it is to have the blade reskinned with some heavy plate.
D7 EFG are all good tractors and with some care and good maintence can all be rebuilt and reused to keep making its owner some money; and there is no electrical crap on it to fail and cost you bigtime.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Well D6 Merv, only some money? I have had my D7E since 1989. It has made me a PILE of money, not just some money. Also 7G, 8H and 8K. They do the same and oh yes, no computer crap so they all can be maintained right here in my shop.

diggingfish

Call me the dummy but I am here to learn. People pick on me for being too young for the old iron, but hey im here to learn. I just picked up a 17A where does she fall in the line 7E 7F other than being the grandmother?

Thedeeredude

Occupation
farmer marketer
I have found a 1970 Cat D7E cable lift with a standard transmission for sale. This unit has a good under carriage with approximately 90% of life remaining. It has been converted from pony start to electric start. I have only seen pictures of the machine and have not heard it run. Does anyone know what would be a reasonable price offer for this machine. I know that most people do not like standard shift transmissions and cable lift but this tractor would fit the requirements that I have which includes pulling a 9 ft. rubber tire mounted root plow. Solid piece of used construction equipment.

sledgehammer

Call me the dummy but I am here to learn. People pick on me for being too young for the old iron, but hey im here to learn. I just picked up a 17A where does she fall in the line 7E 7F other than being the grandmother?

the 17A prefix was used in the d7C and D models if memory serves. the d7d is often referred to as the turbo 17a.

Hjolli

I have worked on several D7s of various ages and I always found the high horse D7E to be the best dozer. Great balance, good power and a lot of torque. The hydraulics were a bit slow though compared to the F or G.